Are you a home brewer when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
walking thru the liquor store to check out i see some 22 oz. Full Sail brews on clearance for 1.80. I know the bottles alone are worth 1.20 so I'd be crazy not to buy them for the bottles alone.

Walking to the car i realized that was the first time i have ever bought a brew because i wanted the bottle it came in.

i drank fat tire in the 22s almost exclusively for about a month(of commercial beers), it was the best bang for my buck in a 22 pop top.:mug:

Walking to the car i realized that was the first time i have ever bought a brew because i wanted the bottle it came in.

I always check the bottle. I use 12's more than 22's, and I find myself avoiding anything with a screw top, cork or screen printing on the bottle.

I am willing to bet that this was one of the reasons SN changed from Twist offs.

a version of this happened to me today, too. Went to the local beer store (pseudo-dry parish, special stores carry beer and no liquor or wine) and looked through the small supply of non-twist offs for a suitable bottle. Decided I really like the bottle Paulaner comes in. Nice thick looking 12oz long neck. Don't like the beer that much and its way overpriced out here. But hey, the bottles are really nice!

Am halfway thru my second 33$ case of Guinness Draught so that I could have 2 cases of the cool bottles for my Barleywine. yep it happens

yeah I know the feeling. I now avoid twist top brews like the plague. I wasn't paying attention once and bought a six pack of moes taproom pale ale. Man I was pissed when I realized I "wasted" money on beer. Beer was good, but I didn't get that bonus of extra bottles.

I always check the bottle. I use 12's more than 22's, and I find myself avoiding anything with a screw top, cork or screen printing on the bottle.

for the printed bottles - a 2x to 3x strength solution of StarSan, soak the bottles for a couple of hours and the paint dissolves....

Not sure why the twis toffs are an issue... I have used them a lot as that is 90% of what is available. They seal just fine and if you catch yourself without a bottle opener you can open them (although with a lot of force) There is a craft brewery not far from here that must use a similar capper to mine, there's a twist off but I usually need a bottle opener for 4 out of 6 of them.

Note: When bottling with twist cap bottles, they do seems loosey goosey but after a couple of days carbonation they are really tight. I know they seal right away as I have shaken a a bottle just to see and nothing comes out, no beer, no CO2.

I keg now but keep some bottles one hand just in case. The only craft beer I have available locally that I'll buy is Sierra Nevada. I love their bottles and that's all I used for bottling anything. Downfall, they have some wicked label glue!

Sierra Nevada's label glue sucks. I let those babies soak for at least 48 hours before I start scrubbing them.

Most of my bottles are Shock Tops. My little bro drinks them and he has saved me at least 100 over the course of my first six months of brewing. If you soak those for 24 hours the label almost falls off. They're a nice bottle too, besides the Michelob emblem in the glass.

I've already started doing this, and I don't even have my first batch brewing. :(

Have to wait a month at least before I can start, but already racking up a nice swing-top cap collection. My options were to buy 12 of the bottles for 40$, and buy them with beer in them for 37$. GEE. TOUGH CHOICE.

Back to the OP

On my first bottling day (coopers kit) we found we were one bottle short of the 30 we needed for the batch. A short trip to the supermarket for the cheapest big bottle and we were drinking Tiger Beer for breakfast :rockin:

I asked my nephew to save bottles (pry cap) for me. He proudly presented me with 24 Newcastle Ale clear bottles. I accepted them and brewed 10 gallons of English Brown Ale to fill them. What else could I do? :D

Latest posts

Back