Are there pressure regulating faucets? If not, does that mean mini kegs are intrinsically flawed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javert

Reaction score
I'm already familiar the concept of balancing the pressure from the keg with the resistance of the beer line (both lenght and height). What comes to mind is why there are not beer faucets with the ability to increase or reduce resistance with a valve and instead we seem to be forced to tailor the beer line length instead. That means a each beer line is specific only to a single carbonation level.

I've seen 5 liter minikegs on the market which incorporate a faucet attached directly to the keg so beer line resistance is practically zero by default. Honestly, those are highly attractive to have fresh beer int the fridge. The faucet seems to be the standard one. How are those expected
to regulate the serving pressure? Aren't they doomed to serve nothing but foam particularly with highly carbonated styles?

I've read the Beer Draught Manual and it insists on controlling serving pressure using appropiate line length. Is the manual outdated and pressure regulating faucets are already in the market or the Mini Keg concept is flawed?

That would be called a flow control faucet. I've never used one but there are threads on here about them. From what I understand they won't balance the system on their own, you still need correct line length, but they can help dial in the perfect pour once the system is balanced.

I would think in a mini-keg system you would just adjust 'serving pressure' since in this case there is only one tap, and that tap has a line length of 0. They also sell taps connected direct to a ball lock to attach to Corny's.

Flow control faucets are designed to add back pressure, allowing you to pour more highly carbed beers than your line length allows.

They do the same thing as adding extra line length.

You can add resistance and still pour fine to an extent, you'll just pour slower. It takes a quite a bit to reach the "long draw" systems that many bars have where just CO2 becomes a problem and you need to starting a CO2/nitrogen mix.

I just use hella long lines and accept slow pours on lower carb beers.

A flow control faucet allows you to set the resistance to the flow from a very low value to completely closed. Basically, it lets you simulate a line of variable lenght, from zero to infinite (no flow). I routinely serve directly from my Unitank with a flow control faucet directly attached via a ball-lock liquid post to TC adapter, without any beer line whatsover, and it works just fine.

Latest posts

Back