direct-connection keg post to faucet for serving carbonated beer?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

twd000

Reaction score
I'm still looking around for a way to serve foam-free beer from a carbonated keg, without a bunch of line and a picnic tap

Does this exist? I'm confused by all the products, and the reviews. Some say it works, others get all foam. I see ball-lock disconnects with flow-control, QD-to-faucet couplers, flow control faucets. Some reviews claiming the coupler need to be modified to accept a FC faucet shuttle

It seems you need SOME flow restriction to pour liquid instead of foam, and the traditional way is using the line length. But is there a disconnect that provides enough flow restriction internally, that is doesn't need any line length?

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If it's cold, you can use something similar to this.
However, cold (what temp) with what vols CO2 desired, means a certain pressure is required, typ 8-10psi, which might blow beer a bit fast out this guy. I use them all the time, but sometimes must PRV release a bit of keg PSI so I am not sending it out too fast, which causes turbulence in the glass and foaming and general hilarity all around if the keg is really pressurized, AKA "beer eyebrows".
1623259633654.png

OP
T

twd000

Reaction score
If it's cold, you can use something similar to this.
However, cold (what temp) with what vols CO2 desired, means a certain pressure is required, typ 8-10psi, which might blow beer a bit fast out this guy. I use them all the time, but sometimes must PRV release a bit of keg PSI so I am not sending it out too fast, which causes turbulence in the glass and foaming and general hilarity all around if the keg is really pressurized, AKA "beer eyebrows".
View attachment 731766
I don't mind pulling the PRV to release head pressure

is that this coupler?: Corny Keg Disconnect Faucet Adapter | MoreBeer

and a normal non-flow-control tap?

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That is one part of the three you need.
You also need a faucet, into which the large end threads, and a MFL quick disconnect, onto which the small end threads.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like the ones that have internal springs, especially when I have a keg of root beer that the kids enjoy playing barkeeper use.

There's just nothing stickier than a stream of root beer flowing on the floor when someone doesn't close the tap handle.

Ok, sugary wort boilover is slightly worse.

TenaCJed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This will work for you, exactly what it is designed to do. You need to get the beer faucet adapter as well to connect the faucet.

OP
T

twd000

Reaction score
I like the ones that have internal springs, especially when I have a keg of root beer that the kids enjoy playing barkeeper use.

There's just nothing stickier than a stream of root beer flowing on the floor when someone doesn't close the tap handle.

Ok, sugary wort boilover is slightly worse.
haha I gave my kids free reign on the seltzer tap so no sticky mess if they leave it open

OP
T

twd000

Reaction score
This will work for you, exactly what it is designed to do. You need to get the beer faucet adapter as well to connect the faucet.
thanks - I came across that a few months ago and saw it was sold out. Contacted KegLand and they said they were redesigning it due to design flaw, so crossed it off the list. Looks like they still haven't solved that

TenaCJed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am really not sure what the design flaw is, it works as advertised, I have 2 of them. However a lot of people tried to use them in kegerator with beer tube after it, which is not what it is designed for as it already reduces flow heavily. Maybe they are doing another design for use in kegerator that does not reduce as much, or allows more adjustement. If you use it directly off of keg with faucet connected to it, it works well!

OP
T

twd000

Reaction score
I am really not sure what the design flaw is, it works as advertised, I have 2 of them. However a lot of people tried to use them in kegerator with beer tube after it, which is not what it is designed for as it already reduces flow heavily. Maybe they are doing another design for use in kegerator that does not reduce as much, or allows more adjustement. If you use it directly off of keg with faucet connected to it, it works well!
well that's good to hear - wish I could buy one!

Beermeister32

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Both Perlick and Intertap versions shown. Use the cheap Chinese coupler shown which allows full shuttle movement. Most do not allow full shuttle movement, this one does. I JB welded the back connection solid to reduce issues, you can see the line of epoxy between the two pieces. The return spring is a must, I used some stainless Grolsch swing top metal for the rear spring riser. The return spring is stainless. The front connector ring is a medium size keychain ring. Works best at 9-10 psi, good clean pour once adjusted properly.

Last edited:

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just sayin with all the Grölsch bails, band clamps, velcro straps making a hella-beautiful portable genius-ness, surely you could have done some paper clip/duct tape/dental floss/McGiver drip tray as well.

Dr_Jeff

Reaction score
Portable too - here is my office keg with earlier version return spring before I figured out the stainless version:View attachment 731861

An office keg, brilliant idea.
Just what everyone needs, seeing that makes me feel like a slacker, gotta step up my game.

Although at my old house, I did have a three tap kegerator in my office.

Last edited:

Latest posts