Are there generic door gaskets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got an old mini fridge for free that I want to eventually convert to a kegerator, but in the short term I just want to be able to throw in a keg and CO2 tank and use a picnic tap.

I had to remove the door panel because I could not stand my keg upright and still close the door with the panel in place. There were a zillion screws, but it came off easily. The problem is that the door gasket came off with it, as it was fitted to the panel and not to the door.

I suppose I could cut the panel down and put it back, but the gasket is pretty skeezy too.

Is there some sort of generic gasket that I can use to make the door shut and stay shut? Right now the light stays on all the time and I can see a gap all around the door, which means the fridge runs a lot more than it needs to.

How do I make the door seal and stay closed?

Go to www.BARefrigeration.com
I use them for work, they can make a custom gasket if needed. You can also call their support desk, give them the model# and serial# of the unit and they can get the right gasket for your application. They have the best prices that I have found with the best customer service. I'm sure they can find what you need.

If the gasket is still sound, just looking disgusting, you can clean it, but will take some detergent, a suitable brush, and elbow grease. Then soak in bleach or put out in bright sunlight for a week. Rinse and dry it thoroughly before reassembly. But it will alway look used, with discolorations, old gray mold spots, etc.

The easiest may be to mount it with the existing door panel still being intact. Double check for good fit and sealing well. Then cut out the shelves/ridges from the center area or remove the whole center area, leaving only the outer 1-1.5" perimeter of plastic that holds the gasket in place with the screws.

Back