aquafina challenge???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse

Reaction score
Alright..I'm kinda scared to start this one off.. I've been brewing for about 2 years now. Have about ten all grain batches under my belt.. Since my first batch I've been bottling half in glass..(And i know I'm gonna hear **** for this) and half in 1 liter aquafina bottles. I absolutly hate bottling and couldn't afford kegging equiptment until now.It was an easy alternative. Back to the point... THE PLASTIC BOTTLES ALWAYS TASTE BETTER. I know..I know..You think its in my head.That's why the thread's called the aquafina challenge. Next batch try at least 1/4 of it in plastic bottles. (If you don't bottle any more and just keg...**** off..I'm jealous. it must be nice.) I'm telling you i thought it was in my head..Until the taste tests..First i made my girlfriend administer me blind taste test after blind taste test. Always plastic.. not ALMOST always..Always. Then her.Then my friends.Then complete strangers at random parties.. Always the same result. PLASTIC PLASTIC PLASTIC PLASTIC PLASTIC PLASTIC. Room temperature..Lagering.. cold conditioning...bottle conditioning.. aging..green...it doesn't matter. So there it is.. It's been haunting me for about a year now, and i just put the challenge in your lap..Be warned though...it's gonna take over your life.

i did my first beer, like 12-13 years ago, in plastic bottles of various sizes and sources.
none were properly carbed and it didn't taste that great.

i'll stick to bottles and *snicker* kegging

Wait...

I'm confused...

You are a home brewer and you have enough money to buy water in a bottle (it comes out of the tap for free - almost) but can't afford kegging equipment?

Your priorities are off. :p

Seriously though, it's your beer, who cares if it's in a aquafina bottle or a Grolsh swing-top or a Burt and Ernie childrens shampoo bottle, we're not drinking it.

But as to the challenge, I'm happy not bottling at all, glass or plastic.

Kevin Dean said:
Seriously though, it's your beer, who cares if it's in a aquafina bottle or a Grolsh swing-top or a Burt and Ernie childrens shampoo bottle, we're not drinking it.
Or even a big laundry detergent jug :D

But in all seriousness, my favorite bottles to use are the big metal ones that hold 5 gallons and have QD fittings on top. :p

I'm still hunting for those "Bert and Ernie swing-top shampoo bottles" for my next barleywine!

Seriously, if the beer tastes good, who cares. I think you'll run into flavor and other possible issues in the long term using unknown plastics. Glass is not gas-permeable, and many plastics are, you just need to know which ones are acceptable for your use.

I'm sure someone will chime in and enlighten us on the science of the proper plastics. At least I hope they will. :)

Yeah yeah yeah. Laugh it up..I just picked up a FULL 10 lb tank and double gauge regulater today. $160 bucks. Great deal from florida carbonic if anybody lives in orlando. I have a total of 4 sankey 1/4 barrel kegs a got for a total of $40.00. Gotta love craig's list. Just cleaned them out.It wasn't too much of a pain in the ass.I might just stick with sankey..I've been looking around for aquafina plastic kegs but i haven't come across any yet.. Keeping my eyes open still. Any suggestions for chest freezers or Kegerators???

Kevin Dean said:
Wait...

I'm confused...

You are a home brewer and you have enough money to buy water in a bottle (it comes out of the tap for free - almost) but can't afford kegging equipment?

:drunk: :drunk:

I'm surprised because the plastic water bottles are not designed to hold pressurized contents, and if I'm not mistaken, are oxygen permeable. But if it tates better, why not?

jesse said:
Yeah yeah yeah. Laugh it up..

:mug: I'm sure you caught it, but my comment about the shampoo bottles was only to say do what makes your beer taste better to you. I wasn't, in any way, making fun of you. I'm not nearly an EAC yet.

jesse said:
Gotta love craig's list.

I certainly do - My Craigs List Score - which takes me to my next point...

jesse said:
Any suggestions for chest freezers or Kegerators???

Check Craigslist. Be patient and you can get some killer deals that will get you in the door.. Or send your beer through it. :)

Back