Appropriate Mash Temps for Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I stated my question very well. Basically, I'm asking if there are general guidelines say for mashing pilseners at 154-157, or pale ales at 152-155. Something like that. Isn't it a general rule that the higher mash temps yield a sweeter maltier beer?

Bromley said:
I don't think I stated my question very well. Basically, I'm asking if there are general guidelines say for mashing pilseners at 154-157, or pale ales at 152-155. Something like that. Isn't it a general rule that the higher mash temps yield a sweeter maltier beer?

I don't think there are such guidelines. You select mash temp for what you want to get out of it.

Yes, higher mash temp will yield a sweeter (more dextrinous, less fermentable) wort.

Do not confuse sweetness with maltiness. You can have a VERY dry, VERY malty beer.

I haven't seen such guidelines either. Since the the mash temp needed to get you the limit of attenuation that is targeted (for this there are guidelines) is dependent on your system, you will have to figure out the mash temp yourself by experimenting with your system.

Sweetness does not necessarily come from the (un-) fermentability of the wort. A lot of it has to do with how far the yeast will get to the limit of attenuation. This is a property of the yeast strain as well its health and your fermentation procedure.

You can find more info about attenuation here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Understanding_Attenuation

Kai

plus, for as many people who do single infusion, there are just as many doing stepped mashes.

there's just too many variables: water profile, grain bill, MLT design, the brewer's habits...to come up with a real useful set of 'guidelines'.

malkore said:
plus, for as many people who do single infusion, there are just as many doing stepped mashes.

there's just too many variables: water profile, grain bill, MLT design, the brewer's habits...to come up with a real useful set of 'guidelines'.

OK, thanks for the info.

what i would add to what malkore said, because of these variables you should take lots of notes, especially when you're mashing! that way when you get to tasting in 6 weeks you'll be able to look back at what you did. if you like what you brewed it's more repeatable, if you want to tweak it now you know where to start.

SenorWanderer said:
what i would add to what malkore said, because of these variables you should take lots of notes, especially when you're mashing! that way when you get to tasting in 6 weeks you'll be able to look back at what you did. if you like what you brewed it's more repeatable, if you want to tweak it now you know where to start.

Yes, I do my best to record temperatures and volumes of water in my ProMash Session file.

Back