Applekush Original Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonbrew541

Reaction score
EDIT: S-04 YEAST INSTEAD OF S-05 (Nottingham is also an excellent choice and is becoming my new favorite)

Original Applekush Recipe: semi dry 7% alc

Ingredients:
-6 Containers of Langer's Apple Cider (tried them all this is the best!)$5.00/ea
-420 grams of Dextrose. (I use triple beam balance scale to weigh).~$1.25/lb
-660 grams of Turbinado. (1 whole bag of what is in the picture)$6.00/bag
-1 packet Safale S-04 $4.25/pack (Also had good luck with Nottingham, S-05, Wyeast cider, 1118, and Premier Cuvee)
-1 tspn of each Yeast nutrient & Energizer in doses, Day after pitch,five days,ten.~$1.00(if even)
-1/2 tbs Malic acid at bottling time.~$1.00
-pectic enzyme('optional' clarifier)

The Process:
-Dump 4 containers of A.J. into carboy.
-Take the last two containers and dump them out half way.
-Take one half full containers pour A.J. into pot & pour in the terbinado turn the burner on low and stir until the sugar is dissolved and pour into carboy.
-Take the Dextrose Pour that into the last container of A.J. followed by the Yeast. Lid it & give it a shake, let is sit for a few minutes then shake it again then pour into carboy.

There are many ways of going about bottling everyone has there own way. I personally like it semi-dry and very carbonated. What I've found is turbinado is not 100% fermentable leaving behind some sweetness when it's finished. For me it leaves the perfect amount of sweetness behind leaving it what i describe as semi-dry. Using an ale yeast leaves behind more apple flavor for sure imo which helps as well. So imo, all together the taste is superior to less flavorful brews like apfelwine for example.

So for me, 2 weeks in primary, 1 week in secondary, keg after secondary, force carb, and wait a little as long as you can (1day-3months to age) is all i can ever do, then i leave it in the keg till its gone tapping off a gallon at a time into a growler and refrigerating for consumption.

total cost: $37.00 for five gallons=55 bottles @ .67cents/bottle. Compared to the typical price, $9.00 six pack AngryOrchard=~$1.50/bottle.. simply no comparison

Any questions p.m. me ill gladly answer.
Any comments about your attempt at the Original Applekush are very appreciated, Thanks for reading and good luck!!!

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

Images: One week later -- Finished product(after 2 weeks primary, 1 week in secondary, 1 week in keg force carbing)
Flavor:
Finish product holds so much apple flavor you would think i added concentrate, its a major difference if your use to using wine or champagne yeast, because in my opinion they push all the apple flavor out where as the ale yeast leaves behind a significant amount. Also the addition of organic cane sugar gives it that commercial cider taste I'm looking for…
Good luck!!! :mug:

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

Tonight i had some of this that was still i didn't intend on it being that way but i left a bottle out and open over night and it went flat i didn't want to waste it so refrigerated it and honestly after trying this, on my next batch I'm not going to carb and would recommend trying it both ways for anyone trying this recipe :mug:

My current nottingham has a great apple taste to it. Angry orchard uses white wine yeasts, but so far I prefer the ale yeasts considerably for taste.

Thanks for sharing pictures.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

My current nottingham has a great apple taste to it. Angry orchard uses white wine yeasts, but so far I prefer the ale yeasts considerably for taste.

Thanks for sharing pictures.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

agree 100%

Bottled a batch of this today best brew yet!! I moved to secondary @ 1.010 and let it settle to 1.004 siphoned into keg with 3/4 cup of priming sugar (dextrose) let is prime then used my new homemade counter pressure filler (only cost me $45 to make) got a couple bottles in the fridge ready to enjoy.:D
750ml bottles on the right> oh i love home brew!

I've realized since that this method produced my highest quality brew and so far force carbing actually hasn't turned out as well.

IMG_1355.jpg

Ok I just put this together. Couple questions. I got a SG 1.060. Shouldn't it be higher with the sugar? You used 6 gallons not 5? Just wanted to make sure cause my carboy is Damn full!

Been awhile since I've been on but I've still been brewin. I wanted to share that yesterday I entered this into a homebrew competition and won first place in the cider category. I also won second out of the whole brew off. I won 250 bucks and got a ribbon! So I'm feeling confident with this recipe. I just think it needs a new name....

Ok I just put this together. Couple questions. I got a SG 1.060. Shouldn't it be higher with the sugar? You used 6 gallons not 5? Just wanted to make sure cause my carboy is Damn full!

I know it's way late but to anyone in the future I use five gal carboy. Also the brand I use of aj isn't exactly a gal it's a little less. I use langers apple cider and apple juice mixed fifty fifty

Ive got this recepie in primary right now. This is the first time Ive made cider so pardon the question. When do you add the pectin? Id liek it to be clear and not all cloudy. Even thought about using a filter between 2 kegs.

Thanks for all the help!

Ive got this recepie in primary right now. This is the first time Ive made cider so pardon the question. When do you add the pectin? Id liek it to be clear and not all cloudy. Even thought about using a filter between 2 kegs.

Thanks for all the help!

Not Sure what kind of apple juice/cider you started with but I didnt use the pectin. If your base wasnt real cloudy I wouldnt worry about it as it will clear from primary to secondary and then cold crash or keg cold. Mine turned out crystal clear. I stopped at 1.010 as I didn't want it to dry. Great flavor and everyone loved it! This was my first batch of cider as well. I used 6gal (should have only used 5, see my earlier posts) of juice from cost box store kirk brand. At 4 weeks it wasnt low enough SG so I kept it another week for 5 total to hit the 1.010. This was probably due to the 6gal instead of 5gal. I also hit it with more yeast nutrients. Fermentation temp was mid 60's. Goodluck!

Thanks for all the help!

Not Sure what kind of apple juice/cider you started with but I didnt use the pectin. If your base wasnt real cloudy I wouldnt worry about it as it will clear from primary to secondary and then cold crash or keg cold. Mine turned out crystal clear. I stopped at 1.010 as I didn't want it to dry. Great flavor and everyone loved it! This was my first batch of cider as well. I used 6gal (should have only used 5, see my earlier posts) of juice from cost box store kirk brand. At 4 weeks it wasnt low enough SG so I kept it another week for 5 total to hit the 1.010. This was probably due to the 6gal instead of 5gal. I also hit it with more yeast nutrients. Fermentation temp was mid 60's. Goodluck!

Mine started cloudy, and finished cloudy....so I ran it through a 1 micron filter, and all was clear. And it made the flavor a little more crisp and refined.

After reading back and seeing that the OP used a 50/50 of cider/juice I need some advice since I used all cider. I've let this ferment in primary for 18 days. My schedule did not allow me to put it in secondary until now. I checked the gravity when I pit it in secondary. It was at 1.003. I tasted it and it was almost like a dry apple wine. I was hoping for it to be a little sweater. I'm thinking about taking it from secondary right away and trying to backsweaten it but not sure what to use.

Any suggestions?

You can use either juice/cider/concentrate juice. Add to the level of sweetness you like then keg or bottle. If you bottle make sure to heat the bottles by boil/dishwasher/etc sour doesn't ferment again. If you keg I'm guessing it'll be to cold to ferment.

IHP/kgx2 what yeast did u guys use? I have always used different wine yeasts. I want to try an ale yeast ,idk maybe a Hefeweizen yeast. The op likes the ale yeast flavor and he won a blue ribbon, maybe I will use his favorite.

IHP/kgx2 what yeast did u guys use? I have always used different wine yeasts. I want to try an ale yeast ,idk maybe a Hefeweizen yeast. The op likes the ale yeast flavor and he won a blue ribbon, maybe I will use his favorite.

I used dry Nottingham ale yeast from Danstar. Only done one batch still of cider so don't know what the wine ones taste like to compare but it tasted great to me with this one!

I used dry Nottingham ale yeast from Danstar. Only done one batch still of cider so don't know what the wine ones taste like to compare but it tasted great to me with this one!

Maybe I'll give notty a shot. Thanks

New to brewing here and this will be my first attempt at brewing anything. Everything looks straight forward, but how important is the dosing for the yeast nutrient and energizer?

-1 tspn of each Yeast nutrient & Energizer in doses, Day after pitch,five days,ten.

I want to get this fermenting before I go on a 1 week trip, so I won't be able to do 5th day dose. Will that alter the recipe significantly? Any help is appreciated!

You don't have to worry about it to much. I had 6days then 7days from the original date I started.

Maybe do one the day after, then one the day you leave and then one when you get back.

Do you have a hydrometer? It'll help you to get it to the level (sweeter= higher/dryer= lower) you want. I stopped @ SG 1.015 for a little sweeter taste but was still 6.2% ABV.

You don't have to worry about it to much. I had 6days then 7days from the original date I started.

Maybe do one the day after, then one the day you leave and then one when you get back.

Do you have a hydrometer? It'll help you to get it to the level (sweeter= higher/dryer= lower) you want. I stopped @ SG 1.015 for a little sweeter taste but was still 6.2% ABV.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll do just that. I do have a hydrometer and will do the two weeks primary and 1 week secondary then see where it falls. Having nothing to compare to I was planning on following the recipe.

I know this is an old thread but this was my first Cider and it was amazing. I found the longer it sat the better it got. After handing out several bottles and drinking the rest, we are saddened that its all gone. Going to be making another batch!

Thank you for the recipe!

just whipped a batch to see. I'm kinda on the fence post when it comes to ciders. If it comes out sweet and highly carbed, and it wouldn't hurt if it tasted like apple, I might be a new follower of the ciders. Just wanted to ask when do you add the malic acid. Im still doing the bottle thing, it seems to work out well for me.Any help would be greatly appreciated, and also when and why would you use pectic enzyme.
Thanks a bunch
Madsmace54

just whipped a batch to see. I'm kinda on the fence post when it comes to ciders. If it comes out sweet and highly carbed, and it wouldn't hurt if it tasted like apple, I might be a new follower of the ciders. Just wanted to ask when do you add the malic acid. Im still doing the bottle thing, it seems to work out well for me.Any help would be greatly appreciated, and also when and why would you use pectic enzyme.
Thanks a bunch
Madsmace54

Excited to hear how it turned out? about that time, or is it gone :rockin:

So I'm the op of the thread. I wanted to let anyone know that I'm going to be working further with this recipe. I've been drinking it for some time now, still great and very popular. I'm just curious to try some new yeast available out there! Here is the list of yeast ill be trying with this recipe. I look forward to sharing my thoughts -

Dry Yeast
Lavlin 71b-1122
Lavlin ICV-D-47
Lavlin EC-118
Safale US-05
Safale US-04
Danstar Nottingham
Danstar BRY-97
Liquid Yeast
Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead
Wyeast 4242 Fruity White
Wyeast 4766 Cider
White L. BRY-97
Sour/Wild
Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend

stay tuned :mug:

Hello,

Just purchased all the ingredients. Cannot wait to make this cider. Recipe sounds great. I've made 2 batches of Pappy's so far and love them. Altered them a bit, but came out great. Just very strong, without the strong taste, which is dangerous lol. This recipe sounds like a nice balance of flavor and ABV. I'll post later on once I get it done. I will be bottle conditioning them too for carbonation.

I know OP seems gone, but anyone brew this somewhat recently? I started a batch on Monday. Been using Fermaid K/O since that's what I had.

My question is regarding bottling. OP mentions priming this, but he's also using kegs. If I'm doing straight bottling can I still prime? My thought was to cold crash, prime, bottle, then pasteurize to avoid bottle bombs.

I know OP seems gone, but anyone brew this somewhat recently? I started a batch on Monday. Been using Fermaid K/O since that's what I had.

My question is regarding bottling. OP mentions priming this, but he's also using kegs. If I'm doing straight bottling can I still prime? My thought was to cold crash, prime, bottle, then pasteurize to avoid bottle bombs.
I've bottled this without issues. I let the ferment run out. I prefer my cider on the dry side. Just make sure you don't bottle it too soon.

I've bottled this without issues. I let the ferment run out. I prefer my cider on the dry side. Just make sure you don't bottle it too soon.
Thanks, I bottled it last Tuesday at 1.003. so far so good. Going to open one next week and then try to forget most of it for a little. OP was right it was pretty good still as well.

This stuff turned out great, has a nice tartness to it from the malic acid. My ABV did come out a bit higher at just over 9%, it definitely can sneak up on you(used granulated not turbadino sugar). Three weeks in the bottle and it's quite good. Going to put some away for a bit.

Think I'm going to use this recipe as a base for further experimentation, such as cysers and graffs. Might also try adding cranberry or cherry juice.

Finally I found 4oz dextrose gave a very slight bubble. Was expecting more, but it has grown on me. May try bumping it up to 4.5 to see how it turns out

So as far as bottling/carbonating....if I were to let it run itself out (wait till the bubbles and presumably the yeast) then bottle it with a bit more juice mixed with spices and low sugar, would that help the taste and carbonate it? Or am I asking for a bottle bombs mess?

Last edited:
So I'm the op of the thread. I wanted to let anyone know that I'm going to be working further with this recipe. I've been drinking it for some time now, still great and very popular. I'm just curious to try some new yeast available out there! Here is the list of yeast ill be trying with this recipe. I look forward to sharing my thoughts -

Dry Yeast
Lavlin 71b-1122
Lavlin ICV-D-47
Lavlin EC-118
Safale US-05
Safale US-04
Danstar Nottingham
Danstar BRY-97
Liquid Yeast
Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead
Wyeast 4242 Fruity White
Wyeast 4766 Cider
White L. BRY-97
Sour/Wild
Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend

stay tuned :mug:

How did it turn out with the Lavlin EC-1118? Still fairly new to brewing and used EC-118 in the first batch I ever made - came out drier than I expected (used combination white sugar and dark brown in the recipe I made).

Back