Apple wine is done and the results are in.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda88

Reaction score
I used jack kellers recipe for apple wine and I must say it is hands down the best white/yellow wine I have ever made. As long as you wip the must twice a day until it is done fermenting and degass the living crap out of it, it comes out fantastic. I backsweetened with apple cider and starter my gravity at 1.100, I would recommend jacks apple wine recipe to anyone. I will for sure be making this again

APPLE CONCENTRATE WINE
2 12-oz cans frozen apple concentrate
1 1/2 lbs granulated sugar
1 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
¼ tsp tannin
3 qts water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Champagne wine yeast
Bring 1 qt water to boil and stir in sugar until completely dissolved. Pour frozen apple concentrate in primary and add boiling sugar-water. Add remaining 2 qts cold water, acid blend, tannin, yeast nutrient, and crushed Campden tablet. Stir well, cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Stir in pectic enzyme and recover primary. After additional 12 hours, add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir daily for 10 days, keeping covered. Rack into gallon secondary, top up if required and fit airlock. Rack, top up and refit sirlock every 60 days for 6 months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired and wait 2 weeks. Rack into bottles and set aside one year. [Adapted recipe from Terry Garey's The Joy of Home Winemaking]

cheers and happy winemaking

I would think if it was racked every 60 days for 6 months (4 times racking total, minimum), that degassing would be totally unnecessary. That surprises me, that it would be gassy for all those months and after all those rackings. That never happens to me.

o know i didnt age it for a year, I dont bulk age I bottle age so I usually degass. you can follow the recipe if you want but thats how I do it.

Back