Apple Cider on Lager Yeast Cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like it could be pretty solid. I’ve used a number of ale yeasts with cider and they’ve worked out really well, but haven’t tried a lager yeast. I would suggest only using a quarter of the cake to avoid an overpitch, though. Also, if this has been lagering for a long time, it might have lower overall vitality.

Why did you post this in "Lambic & Wild Brewing"? It's not even brewing related.

I don't know how it got posted in this forum, the intention was the Cider making forum. I do not post here, much less read this subforum.

I will see about deleting the thread.

Not a lager yeast, but I have heard that Nottingham Ale yeast makes a great cider.

I don't believe that the people who sell Notty sell it as a cider yeast.

Thanks Kent88!

So has anyone done a cider with lager yeast, either at ale or lager ferment temps, and can comment on the results and share their process/recipe?

Plenty of wine yeast ferment extremely clean, ferment at low temps, and are extremely cheap. No reason to use a lager strain.

Now that I think of it, I recall a white labs experiment where they used a bunch of their strains for cider and one was a lager strain. It threw a bunch of sulfide and was unanimously ranked as the worst.

Is it done yet?
Tomorrow will make it three weeks in primary fermentation, at 10C/50F. There's still airlock activity (one bubble per minute or so). This is my first time with a lager yeast, so I'm not quite sure how long to let it go, especially considering the low temperature. I'm still waiting for my hydrometer to arrive, so I can't check it that way yet.

Not a lager yeast, but I have heard that Nottingham Ale yeast makes a great cider.

I don't believe that the people who sell Notty sell it as a cider yeast.

I use Notty in all my cider, it seems to work great for me. Also, I harvest the dregs and reuse them 3 or 4 times before pitching new yeast. Works really well.

Short update for the OP:

I had two small batches going: one was a gallon of Kirkland (Costco) fresh-pressed juice, the other was one liter of cheap supermarket juice. The Kirkland batch stalled, but I wasn't aware of it. It was my first time using a lager yeast, and I just assumed it was progressing very slowly. I pitched a little more yeast, and now it seems to be going again, but needs more time.

The smaller batch had a little sulfur smell coming from it, but it eventually went away. I fermented it to 1.000, and then added some juice to it at a 1:3 ratio, then force carbed it. I was rather pleased with the results. I'm still a rookie at cider, but to me, the taste was somewhere between an ale yeast and a champagne yeast. This was with a cheaper juice, though, so I'll have to see how the other batch turns out before I decide whether it's something I want to do again.

Last edited:
Short update for the OP:
I fermented it to 1.000, and then added some juice to it at a 1:3 ratio, then force carbed it.

Just to make sure I understand correctly. You carbed it with plain apple juice at 1 part juice to 3 parts cider? Did you go straight to bottles?

I am wanting to try a batch bottle carbed, but I was going to use sugar in each bottle. So I would be interested if I can use apple juice or even FAJC. Anyone know? And is 1/3 a good ratio for a juice carb? What ratio would be for carbing with FAJC?

I use 1.5-liter PET bottles, and I carb with a CO2 tank and carbonator cap. I added the juice for backsweetening only, added potassium sorbate, force carbed it with the CO2 tank, and drank it within the next few days. I didn't think cold crashing would be that effective with a lager yeast.

You can definitely carb with juice and/or FAJC. But using that much juice for carbing would result in bottle bombs. You need to find out the exact sugar content of your juice or FAJC, then consult a calculator like this one: https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I finally got a chance to try the finished cider made with higher quality (Kirkland) juice and w34/70 lager yeast. I liked the taste. I'm not a beer critic, so I don't know the proper words to describe it, but the lager cider seemed to have similar characteristics to a lager beer (as opposed to an ale cider or a sparking wine cider). The flavor wasn't as pronounced as it would be with ale yeasts I've used (Nottingham and S-04) but also not as neutral as wine yeasts I've used (Premier Blanc, Premier Cuvee).

It was a little extra work, and it took longer, but it's something I would make again. In fact, I've got some more fermenting at this very moment.

Mine turned out fantastic. It fermented down to 0.99, leaving me with a 7% cider.

It was 75% super cheap juice from concentrate, and 25% small farm local cloudy apple juice. The result is really nice flavour.

I kegged it, added 50g/L of sugar and mmmm. The wife loves it too.

I would say, the sulfur dissipated mostly before I kegged it, but that's a downside of lager yeast. And powdery yeast takes a while to drop, so maybe an ale yeast would be better anyway.

All in all, a delicious experiment. And I have 13L of the stuff!

Latest posts

Back