Apple blossom wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
I have a crab apple tree just outside my window and its about to bloom. from the little bit of info ive found online apple blossoms are edible, so im thinking about an apple blossom wine. I havent been able to find any recipes online so im looking for advice, how many pounds of flowers per gallon, what should i use as a source of fermentable material sugar, honey, apple juice/cider? when should I add the flowers, I assume to the secondary because boiling and fermentation would scrub the delicate aromatics from the blossoms right?

I'm thinking the same kinda thoughts, looking at this flowering Japanese crabapple we've got. Smells wonderful! I might at least harvest a pint jar of blossoms and freeze them for a mead adjunct. Other than that, I would look to the most basic/prolific of all flower blossom recipes for mead/wine: Dandelions. Seems there are as many variations on that as there are stars, so ... from what I've learned of making mead and wine, in my experiments, is that pretty much anything goes, as long as you are not afraid of overpowering things .. and in that case, just wait another year and find joy in your bottles.

That said, I'm going to confirm these blossoms are edible (why they would not be is beyond me!)

Cheers!

Back