Apple Blackcurrant fortified wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I was putting away some cider in the shed, and found a 2 year old bottle of apple blackcurrant 20% fortified wine. It is really good! The only problem is I was out of regular bottles when I made it, so it is in a magnum bottle (1.5 lt). Way too much of a good thing.

I think I am going to rebottle it into small bottles, or at least half of it so I can let it sit for another year.

It was sweeter than I expected, but that was good and helped cover up the bite of 20% abv. The apple came through the clearest, the blackcurrant was mainly in the background. Either way, it is a good wine. But the real test will be when the wife tries it. She loves a sweet fortified wine from a local winery, and so I wonder how she will like this one.

However, I wish I had tried to keep it a little lower, say 17 or 18%. I think that would have still stopped the fermentation while sweet and would have allowed more of the fruit taste to come through. I will probably make another small batch this spring, but only go to 17% when I fortify.

The better half tried it and was amazed. She thought it was as good or better than the fortified white wine we buy from the local vineyard.

I was putting away some cider in the shed, and found a 2 year old bottle of apple blackcurrant 20% fortified wine. It is really good! The only problem is I was out of regular bottles when I made it, so it is in a magnum bottle (1.5 lt). Way too much of a good thing.

I think I am going to rebottle it into small bottles, or at least half of it so I can let it sit for another year.
What was it fortified with? Cheers [emoji111]

Back