apflewein additives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
I have a new carboy with 5 gallons of apflewein going and I was wondering if people would like to share what they have added to change the flavor of their apflewein and how they did it and how it came out. I have been playing with the idea of a little bit of oak and berries.

I've added pumkin spice, cinnamon, and cloves. If you really want to experiment, I suggest making a regular batch of AW, then pulling a liter or so off and adding from there. My batch went awry, and now I have 5 gallons of AW even I can't drink...

My batch that is about to be bottled tomorrow had the dextrose substituted with 2 lbs. of brown sugar and also had cinnamon, cloves, and allspice added. It'll be backsweetened at bottling time with 1 lb. of lactose.

I'll let you know how it is in about a week. :eek:

P.S.- I used Nottingham yeast. I'd stick with Montrachet or Bavarian Hefe as some others have enjoyed. Nottingham was WAY too acidic, and not in a good way.

Splenda to sweeten with. About 2 cups for 5 gallons. Still dry and much less sweet than ace or some cider like that, but just what I was looking for.

Back