Apfelwein secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkarian

Reaction score
I have a 2 gallon batch of apfelwein that has been going for a couple weeks. I plan on letting it set in primary for at least a month. My question is. I have a 3 gallon glass secondary that I plan on racking into. Would you guys rack the 2 gallons and leave all that headspace or do you think it would be better to rack onto another gallon of fresh juice? My OG was 1.084 so I dont mind diluting it with a little juice. I plan on letting this bulk age for a while so I wanted to get it out of the plastic primary I have and into glass.

I know Ed's original recipe doesn't call for a secondary but it is in a plastic primary right now and I would like to bulk age it for a while. I would rather age it in glass and was wondering if 1gal of headspace would harm it or if I should add a gallon of applejuice. Thanks for the quick reply though:D

I would imagine that the headspace is not desirable, however if it is fully done fermenting then you will be stuck with that air in there(hey I rhimed!) If it is not done then the co2 that is produced will leave a blanket layer on top of the beer and you should be ok.

Back