Apfelwein Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvolf27

Reaction score
I tried a search didn't find anything specific. Plus the Man I love Apfelwein thread is huge.

Was wondering if people would be interested in posting their variations on the original and how they taste.

Please make sure to include different types of juice, sugar and yeast!!

Thank you.

Thanks for that thread! I was hoping people could post variations on Ed's original Apfelwein recipe though.

Keeping it simple with mainly store bought Juice. Like adding white cranberry, white grape, honey, grape, cherry, cinnamon or spices, different yeast variations etc.

The original post is very long, I have read a lot of it. I know in there people put different variations and the results. With almost 15k gallons made I am sure some have been great, some not so great.

My intent with this post was to compile different recipes that can be easily found without having to search the large original one.

If this is already in existence please feel free to delete this thread.

I follow Ed's recipe, but I add 3 pounds of granny smith's chopped finely after primary fermentation is complete. It adds a bit more apple character back to the wine.

I swapped out a half gallon of the apple juice for blueberry/pomegranate juice and used 1lb of fructose instead of the 2lbs of corn sugar. It was damned tasty right from bottling time and everyone loved it. Not quite the kick in the head that the original recipe has.

I mean "kick in the head" in the positive sense, of course. :D

Here's mine:
5 gal apple juice from Sams club. No preservatives, only ascorbic acid. Costs about $12.
1 lb of dark brown sugar.
Lalvin EC 1118 yeast.

Let if ferment and clear for about a month and it's ready to drink. I keep it very plain at this stage and then jazz it up in the glass.

I substitued one gallon of Cranberry juice for one of the gallons of apple juice. Its good-kinda like Cran-Apple for big boys. Most everyone who has tried it likes it. The Cranberry flavor is a mild addition to the Apple. Its good.

I use table sugar or brown sugar (2lbs) and nottingham yeast.

But I have found Graff to be worth the slightly increased hassle for younger drinking. Apfelwine is 6 months of age ofr me.

The one gallon experiments are worthwhile to do yourself, IMHO. With beer we all have our favorite tastes, in part, because there are so many craft beers to try. With ciders or apple wines, however, there really isn't a wide spectrum from which to draw from. Doing one gallon experiments yourself is a great (and really fun) way to see what yeast / sugar / fruit combos YOU like.
Of course, the experiments others have done are logical starting points.
I made my last batch of Apfelwein with Wyeast 3068 and it turned out awesome. Tropical fruit notes and almost candy like apple flavor.
I also made a version with some rosehip tea that I brewed extra strong -- that one ended up tasting like rubber bands. :(

I just bottled a gallon that I did with Musselman's apple juice, 1lb dark brown sugar, one cinnamon stick, and EC-1118 yeast. It stayed cloudy, like the original juice was, which is OK by me for this batch. I think the juice must have been pasteurized. After primary I racked onto campden & sorbate and backsweetened with a can of frozen concentrate. It's still a bit too young & tart to drink straight, but I really made this for mulling during the holidays. I'm hoping to heat a couple of mugs' worth with some more sugar and another cinnamon stick and enjoy it while watching Alabama beat Auburn after Thanksgiving :D

Thanks for the different variations! Please keep em coming.

Smiths9132: I take you add those granny smiths after racking to a secondary? How long do you leave it like this? Do you rack again or am I misunderstanding you?

Chshrecat, that sounds good, gonna have to try some blueberry.

Texron, is that the only thing you change? Everything else remains the same? 2 # corn sugar and same yeast?

chefmike, I have read about Graff and thinking about trying some of that too, thanks!

I have some Wyeast 3068 on order should be here in a week. Going to try it with 1 gal of cranberry sub'ed in. One question about that yeast, do I need to rig a blow off tube?

Again thanks for the recipes.

I am slowly getting my 1 gal jugs built up and will do some small scale experiments!

i made my first batch today but only a gallon sg was almost 1.050 i adjusted to about 1.062 put in tw0 cinnamon sticks and two whole cloves and nottingham yeast. i plan on racking of when it still taste sweet so it will quit feermenting.

no blowoff tube needed. It does not get too crazy. Graff might... mine was in the low 60s in a bucket, so I do not know.

Thanks for the different variations! Please keep em coming.

Smiths9132: I take you add those granny smiths after racking to a secondary? How long do you leave it like this? Do you rack again or am I misunderstanding you?

I have done it several ways. I've just tossed them in after primary fermentation is complete and I've also done it when I've racked to secondary. I haven't noticed a difference in flavor.

Texron, is that the only thing you change? Everything else remains the same? 2 # corn sugar and same yeast?

Yes,the substitution of the one gallon of Cranberry juice was all I changed. Other wise it was according to Edworts recipee. It tastes great.

My favorite recipe so far is either
Using Wyeast 3068 Hefeweizen Yeast- Almost like a fruit punch with a strong apple taste.

Also I did a batch with EC-1118 and added 3lbs of homemade extra dark candy sugar spiked with 3 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice.

Ok I brewed 5 gallons the original way and it turned out really good. I racked a gallon on to 700mL of Black Cherry juice and that was a nice blend. I just got another batch going and I added 3 gallons apple juice, 3 gallons of Kirkland Cranberry/Raspberry juice, 2 lbs corn sugar, couple of teaspoons of pectic enzyme and the montrachet yeast. I looked at the bottle of Kirkland and it said it was a blend of apple, grape, cranberry, raspberry and black currant juice. No sugar added or any preservatives. It is fermenting like crazy now and smells quite good. I'll keep everyone posted how it turns out. With the 6 gallon batch it still ended up at 15 Brix, which is what my original 5 gallon batch was. Should be interesting.

Latest posts

Back