apfelwein Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachatola

Reaction score
So i just bottled my first batch of apfelwein on Wed, it went well, i ponied up and got a bench top capper to try to speed things up a bit as well as allow me to use whatever bottles i could get my hands on. So now that im done bottling i have some questions since im green to this whole process, and i hope im doing it right.

Now that ive bottled using 3/4 cup corn sugar and 1.5 cups of water boiled ~10 min, and placed into my bottling bucket, apfelwein racked onto the solution and then stired lightly with a large spoon to ensure even mixing of sugars and apfelwein.

Bottled 51 bottles and capped all using my new capper and sanitized caps, question comes now that im done bottling, i have some green bottles since im bottling apfelwein (no hops = no skunk beer) but when i look into the bottles i see next to nothing.

ive drank a couple of naturally carbed beers and there is always sediment at the bottom. ive always assumed that was the yeast and what not, well i have NOTHING in my apfelwein. Is there even enough yeast in suspension to do the carbing? It looks very clear, and i see nothing to settle out.... did i mess this up? Should i see stuff (yeast or whatever) in my beer?

On a side note, do you guys sanitize your caps with star san, or does the acid cause issues with the metal caps? I used onestep for the lids cause i wasnt too sure, but star san for everything else.

oh its only been bottled for a couple of days, i haven't tried anything to see if it is even carbing or not, i doubt i could tell even if it was this early. I just noticed a distinct lack of sediment and was wondering if that was something that is normal.

I have found that apfelwein usually takes a bit longer to carb than beer, but take that with a grain of salt, just what I have seen. My apfelwein usually takes 5-6 weeks at 70 degrees to properly carb.

when i look into the bottles i see next to nothing.

ive drank a couple of naturally carbed beers and there is always sediment at the bottom. ive always assumed that was the yeast and what not, well i have NOTHING in my apfelwein.

My fully-carbed apfelwein has only the thinnest, sheer layer of yeast at the bottom. Like a millimeter, and it's only visible in my clear bottles. Invisible in brown. Usually it doesn't even creep up the bottle when I pour.

ok cool thanks for the info guys, being this is my first apfelwein, and first attempt at brewing, im a bit on the green side as to what i should be seeing. LOL Thanks for the info guys ill just sit back and wait. LOL

My apfelwein has very little sediment in the bottom. It took 2-3 weeks for mine to fully carb. As in, at two weeks it was a little bit of carbonation and the next one I drank was at 3 weeks and it was perfect. However, it is pretty damn tasty with no carbonation at all, so I've been drinking it ever since bottling. Definitely one advantage over beer! Less waiting.

Eric

I've got a batch that was in primary for 8 weeks or something like that....carbed just fine, and this is the damnedest thing ever.....I've never got crud at the bottom of the bottles.

Latest posts

Back