apfelwein; I caught the fever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firepunk

Reaction score
So anyways, I decided whilst at costco to do some apfelwein. Only instead of 5 gallons I decided to do 4. Also, I don't think I am going to add too much sugar. Maybe 1/2# of regular old table sugar.

Hopefully it comes out well. It sounds like it is pretty hard to mess up anyways.

Yeah, I have my first cider fermenting now. It's almost three weeks in primary and it's clearing slowly. Can't wait til it's finished!

(Your swmbo quote in your sig is hilarious.)

:mug:

when is your batch going to be ready for drinking? I made a 2.5 gallon batch just to see how I am going to like it, but now I am wishing I made a full 5 gallons. Everyone that sees is wants to know about, and I KNOW is going to want some. And it wouldnt have been that much more to make a full batch instead of 1/2. I wanted mine to be ready for new years eve, which will be exactly 1 month...Do you think that will be long enough?

My first batch is almost gone and the second batch will not be ready until New Years.

I gave it too a couple of people who will not drink my beer, and they loved it. I have them stopping by to fill up groalers. I don't mind, it's nice to finaly make something people like.

I put my batch in a dark corner or the closet. I plan on forgetting about it until sometime in mid January, maybe even early febuary. Then I'll take a look. Well, I lied, I plan on checking on it, in a few moments just to see if fermentation started. THEN i'll forget about it until it comes time to bottle. In reality, I don't plan on being able to drink it until the end of febuary. I bought a carboy specifically so I could make it and not have to worry about what equipment I am going to use for beer.

Will mine be ready in 1 month total time? Do most people carb it, or leave it like wine?

splat said:
Will mine be ready in 1 month total time? Do most people carb it, or leave it like wine?

my understanding is that this stuff is best with time. I mean, I am sure it is drinkable at 1 month, but why not let it age a bit? Also, according to the gigantic thread about apfelwein, you can drink carbed or not. I personally am going to carb mine, because I love bubbles, and whenever i drink apple cider, its carbed.

firepunk said:
So anyways, I decided whilst at costco to do some apfelwein. Only instead of 5 gallons I decided to do 4. Also, I don't think I am going to add too much sugar. Maybe 1/2# of regular old table sugar.

Hopefully it comes out well. It sounds like it is pretty hard to mess up anyways.

You can't mess it up if you follow my directions, but using table sugar will mess it up. Please, get yourself some dextrose (corn sugar) and if you cannot, you will be better off using NO sugar.

finchlake said:
My first batch is almost gone and the second batch will not be ready until New Years.

I gave it too a couple of people who will not drink my beer, and they loved it. I have them stopping by to fill up groalers. I don't mind, it's nice to finaly make something people like.

No kidding!!! Isn't it funny how hard we work on the beer and how easy the Apfelwein is.

Back