Apfelwein and beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrewer

Reaction score
I am wondering about putting a keg of Apfelwein on tap as I have always bottled my batches before. If I keg it and serve through beer lines (that have been cleaned and sanitized of course) will the acidity of the Apfelwein become permanent and only usable for another batch of the same?

I don't think it will have an ill effects on the keg itself, but has anyone experienced any side effects kegging and serving Apfelwein and then going back to serving beer in the same keg/beer line?

Interesting, hadn't thought of this. I'd imagine that it might be an issue if the keg's on for an extended period of time (from what I've read about the stuff, it won't last that long!) but if it's only on tap for a month or so, flushing the lines as normal should take care of it?

Ed himself might be the person to reply to this, tho.

I remember reading a bunch of threads about homemade rootbeer and that because it contains a ton of sugar, once you commit a keg and tap line to it you can never use it for anything but rootbeer again. The sweetness will always remain no matter how much you clean/soak/santize it.

I am sure we will go through it fairly quickly now that it is summer, but I will likely want to reuse that keg and beer line for beer in the fall/winter and don't want all my beers having an apple taste/aroma.

True, but there's no sugar in the apfelwein, given that it's all been fermented out?

I guess you are right about the sugar content versus rootbeer (none in Apfelwein post fermentation). I guess I am just nervous about the acidity leeching into the beer lines? Valid?

I've run quite a few kegs of apfelwein through my system. No dedicated lines or taps, just used what's empty at the time. Haven't had any noticeable impact on beers run through the same line. Actually enjoyed the mixed apfelwein and IPA when I tapped a Pliny clone right after apfelwein kicked.

Guess there is only one way to find out! I just got 2 more corny kegs so I guess I will fill one with a batch of Apfelwein and give it a rip! I will post back after I drain the keg and fill it with beer and sample as to whether there is any residual aftertaste of the Apfelwein. :mug:

I remember reading a bunch of threads about homemade rootbeer and that because it contains a ton of sugar, once you commit a keg and tap line to it you can never use it for anything but rootbeer again. The sweetness will always remain no matter how much you clean/soak/santize it.

Well, I believe you are correct about the line being permanently tainted, but the keg couldn't be permanently tainted because the vast majority of the kegs we all use were previously used for soda (Pepsi etc.).

I don't think it's the sugar in the rootbeer that's the problem, it's the intense rootbeer spice flavor - which is primarily wintergreen.

I have a two faucet system and usually run soda water from one faucet and alternate between beer and apfelwein on the other. There's no problem switching between beer and apfelwein - you can't taste or smell the apple in your beer. However, I sometimes switch faucets if I have a foaming issue. My beer line is 10 feet and my soda water line is 20 feet - so I can quickly slow down the pour pressure by using the soda line. After running apfelwein through the soda water line for 2 months and then switching back to soda water - you get a very faint hint of apfelwein when you huff a glass of soda water.

Back