Apfel Wein Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
That works. The additives you want to stay away from is any type of sorbate or sulfite.

I've been known to also add 1-2 cans of generic apple juice concentrate to help up the apple flavor...

Happy to say just the other day i finally kicked a keg after 18 months.... beer season is upon us!

I presume for bottling you'd do the same as you'd do beer and use priming sugar..?

Hmm! Wouldn't have thought that. Ordered 5oz of corn sugar anyway. Cheap...why not.

My basement is in the low 60's. Should I move it upstairs where it's warmer?

UPDATE:
It's in my closet now after last night and wrapped in a blanket. The ambient temp is around 63F. This morning the airlock was ever so lightly moving every 10 seconds or so. I presume this is the beginning of it's fermentation.

63 ambient is likely higher inside the carboy. Which wine yeast? EC1118?

Also, if I recall, i didn't get a whole lot of, if any real krausen layer when I did use EC1118.

63 ambient is likely higher inside the carboy. Which wine yeast? EC1118?

Also, if I recall, i didn't get a whole lot of, if any real krausen layer when I did use EC1118.

This is the yeast.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/red-star-montrachet.html

Same yeast used for the Apfel Wein recipe on here. Supposedly it performs best between the high 50's and the low 80's. Which is fine if it's upstairs, just don't know what to expect inside the airlock and carboy in comparison to a beer yeast.

I think you're good and if I recall right, there was little krausen on my batch using EC1118.

This is the yeast.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/red-star-montrachet.html

Same yeast used for the Apfel Wein recipe on here. Supposedly it performs best between the high 50's and the low 80's. Which is fine if it's upstairs, just don't know what to expect inside the airlock and carboy in comparison to a beer yeast.

I have a batch going right now with that same yeast, at about 64* ambient. There was a 1/2" thick layer of bubbles at the top of the fermenter for about 2 weeks, then it settled down to barely noticeable activity. If you're used to thick beer krausen, it will look very tame by comparison. Certainly not enough to need a blow-off tube or anything like that.

The layer of krausen will basically be just a ring around the edge, what I can see in the photo from post 9, with just a bit on the right is about all you'll see. The airlock will get going a bit more than once per 10, every 2-3 at least. At least that's my experience with the recipe using that exact yeast in my basement where it settles at 55ish

Apfelwein fermentation is very boring compared to beer fermentation. There is barely any kraussen and you can watch a few bubbles float up every second before they break.

I've done 2 batches with D47, and 1 with Montrachet. All fermented in the low 60s. Took a good month in primary before it dropped clear. I think the Montrachet turned out the best. The D47 had an almost citrusy sauvingnon blanc wine character to it.

These comments are definitely reassuring. I'll post an update when I get home later tonight.

I do my equivalent using S-04 / nottingham. Normally almost no krausen at all, and slow fermentation at 65F (3+ weeks to get to the 1.010 that my friends and I prefer).

I've just started a new batch where I am going to let it ride until it no longer ferments the sugars -- probably will hit 1.0 -- and I pitched this on a large yeast cake from the previous cider's starter + propagation, which is probably equivalent to about 600bil cells, plus added a fair amount of yeast nutrient and energizer. This is the first time I have actually seen something that could be called krausen (about 1.5 inches) on a cider, but the co2 bubbling rate doesn't seem to be any higher. I do notice that there is almost zero aroma (no diacetyl, no sulfur, nothing) coming out of it, though. The nutrient must be helping with that.

Latest posts

Back