APA Recipe - Let's get some constructive criticism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawksBrewer

Reaction score
Snowman Pale Ale

8 lbs of 2-row
1 lb of Munich
1 lb of Caramel 40

.5 oz of Nugget (60 min)
.25 oz of Brewer's Gold (30 min)
.25 oz of Cascade (30 min)
.25 oz of Brewer's Gold (20 min)
.25 oz of Cascade (20 min)
.25 oz of Brewer's Gold (15 min)
.25 oz of Cascade (15 min)
.25 oz of Brewer's Gold (10 min)
.25 oz of Cascade (10 min)
.25 oz of Brewer's Gold (5 min)
.25 oz of Cascade (5 min)
.25 oz of Brewer's Gold (flameout)
.25 oz of Cascade (flameout)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash at 152 using 1.5 qts/lb of grain. 2 week primary, keg, set it and forget it.

Any thoughts, concerns or critiques? Thanks.

I don't really think doing all those hop additions is going to add much. If you want to do it that way that's cool but you can get the same results using the same amount of hops with less additions. I'd probably cut it back to 60, 10, 5, flameout.

That would make it a lot easier. Especially if I end up drinking too much of what's already on tap :drunk:

I made a recipe with a similar hop schedule (@25, 20, 15, 10, and 0), and I liked it much more than another that used ones at 20 and 5.

It's much more hop forward, but not bitter. It's worth the extra effort

I made a recipe with a similar hop schedule (@25, 20, 15, 10, and 0), and I liked it much more than another that used ones at 20 and 5.

It's much more hop forward, but not bitter. It's worth the extra effort

You can do that by having your 60 minute addition contribute about 20 IBUs, and then get the rest with the final additions.

Ie, use two late additions that add up to the same qty of hops? That may have been the issue.

I agree. I'd increase the amount of hops at each addition, but go with 60/15/10/5/0 instead of "wasting" them on 30 and 20 minute additions.

Brewer's Gold is an unusual choice in an APA. I don't like them, but if you do, that's great. I like the cascades in there.

Yooper, I like your idea and am going to implement that. I'm not looking for IPA bitterness (obviously). I am experimenting w/ the brewer's gold, my dad grows hops and last year only had nugget, brewer's gold and cascade... what flavors should I expect from the brewer's gold - piney, resiny?

Yooper, I like your idea and am going to implement that. I'm not looking for IPA bitterness (obviously). I am experimenting w/ the brewer's gold, my dad grows hops and last year only had nugget, brewer's gold and cascade... what flavors should I expect from the brewer's gold - piney, resiny?

Yes, resiny is a good word I guess. I prefer willamette with cascade in APAs, but the brewer's gold may be very good if you like them.

It'll probably come down to a game-time decision tomorrow. I have yet to do an APA w/ just cascade finishing hops from my dad so it might be a good chance to see what they have to offer on their own. Thanks for the help all.

Thanks for the advice Yooper and others. I ended up skipping the brewer's gold altogether and doing a continuous hopping of 2 oz of cascade from 15 min to flameout. Hit all of my targets and can't wait to get it on tap!

Back