Anything Special Required For Bottling An Oud Bruin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourLover

Reaction score
I brewed an Oud Bruin on 5-21-20. I started it with US-05, and at 7 days I transferred it onto some oak, and added Gigayeast Sour Cherry Funk. OG was 1.070, at transfer it was 1.020, and it currently sits at 1.001.
I’ve decided to bottle this batch rather than keg it.
Do I need to do anything special at bottling, or do I still have enough yeast in suspension to handle a normal bottling procedure. My plan is to add measured amounts of a corn sugar solution to each bottle at bottling to get somewhere near 2.5 volumes of CO2.
Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

With the short timeline it'll probably carb just fine on its own. But re-yeasting is easy insurance. Whenever I'm bottling sours (or anything else really aged) I add champagne yeast with the priming sugar. Doesn't take much.

Qhrumphf
Thanks for the input. I know nothing about wine yeast, but I’m going to have to learn as I have 15 gallons of long term sours that will get bottled eventually.
Can you recommend a wine yeast that would commonly be stocked at a LHBS? Are they all neutral in flavor? I’m assuming wine yeast is a dry yeast, and if that is the case can I just add a couple granules to each bottle?

I've had success with either Red Star Premier Cuvee or Lalvin EC-1118, but those aren't the only options. And both are widely available.

I've done a pinch per bottle and it does work, but I'd say rehydration is ideal and more reliable.

I've had success with either Red Star Premier Cuvee or Lalvin EC-1118, but those aren't the only options. And both are widely available.

I've done a pinch per bottle and it does work, but I'd say rehydration is ideal and more reliable.

Thanks for the information. I was able to grab a packet of the Red Star this morning. I will definitely go the rehydration way.

Latest posts

Back