Anyone want to take a crack at a Parish Ghost in the Machine clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBuvka

Reaction score
Long time lurker here, but I finally have a question these forums haven't provided an answer to (yet).

I was just down in New Orleans this past week and I had the chance to try Parish's sought after Ghost in the Machine DIPA on tap. Holy crap was that beer good!!! - tasted and even looked a bit like orange juice. Probably the best beer I've ever had.

Living in WNY, its unlikely I'll get my hands on it again so I'd really like to try to find a good clone to make. Now I've only started getting my feet wet with homebrewing, having ~10 all grain batches under my belt, and I'm in no way confident or capable yet in trying to recreate a recipe, but I was hoping some of the knowledgable folks here who may have tried this beer may have some ideas atleast where to start. I know it's 8% ABV and reported 100+ IBU, and I'm guessing it has some flaked oats or wheat due to its hazy appearance.

Any help in recreating this beast would be greatly appreciated!

Live right by the brewery and the owner is a great guy. With that said, there is "A LOT" of citra used in this beer during brewing and "A LOT" for dry hopping. Not sure of the exact amounts though. There is a good combination of Galaxy and Citra but way more of the latter. Hit me up if you ever wanna do a swap for some Ghost man

Reviving thread now that it has been out for a while.. anyone find a good clone recipe? I am just beginning my search.. if I find one... I will post it here...

Baloo

I've emailed Andrew and asked but I understand why he won't give out the recipe. I love this stuff but I think the water they use plays a huge part as all their beers are good. I agree with lots of Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy in the latest version.
Years ago, while a great beer, it was definitely a hop bomb in the bitter sense. It's evolved and is always evolving still.

I'm in the Nola area and was told they use hop oil in the secondary. A friend toured the place (im getting around to it) and the brewers left the recipe chart for Canebreak out in the open (he snapped a pic!). So, I will be in search of the Ghost chart once I make it there. More curious about their bittering hops. Could probably sort out the rest. PS, im drink one as i type. Cheers.

Responding to follow. Just picked up 2 four packs of ghost. First time to enjoy one and will be cloning ASAP! I loved Bloom but this is something else. Next time in NOLA, check out Courtyard Brewery as well. Great vibe and amazing beers.

IMG_3176.jpg

This is by far the best DIPA I ever had! Pretty damn smooth for 8.5%

Now who has the damn recipe?

Might I suggest you use Braufessor's NEIPA as a starting point, as a Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy-based NEIPA that's seen a lot of work to get the basics right? You can then tweak it from there.

Given that it's a relatively "old" NEIPA, the odds are that the yeast is a member of the Conan family, since that was considered pretty much canonical for NEIPAs back in 2014.

I note that back in 2014 they noted that they were limited by their ability to source enough "sexy hops like Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Galaxy, and Mosaic" but they seem to change the recipe each year. Start with Braufessor's and see how you get on - but note that these super-fruity NEIPAs are some of the hardest beers to do well at a homebrew level, oxidation is a constant challenge.

Thank you NorthernBrewer! I plan on brewing this next weekend to break in my new Spike conical.

I’m going to try the Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy combo and see what happens with no boil additions. I will likely dry hop with just one addition but I’m torn on if I should keg hop?

Personally- if you’ve got new kit, then keep the rest of the process as similar to “normal”, whatever “normal” is.

Here is my grain bill for my first attempt at this. I decided to try Imperial Citrus for my yeast. I don’t expect to be close but this should be a good NEIPA.

IMG_3385.jpg

Here is my grain bill for my first attempt at this. I decided to try Imperial Citrus for my yeast. I don’t expect to be close but this should be a good NEIPA.

View attachment 588978
Well how did it turn out? I have been a fan of GitM for about 3 years and have been anxiously waiting for someone to develop a good clone recipe. I have the yeast harvested just waiting for the recipe. It also started selling locally last month!

I literally just kegged it and considering mine is only 6.3% I’m sure it’s way off! Still should end up being a good beer. Although if you look at the Ghost and my hydro sample they look pretty close. Also keep in mind this is not a clone.

IMG_3512.jpg

Last edited:
Looks tasty. I just helped my buddy with another crowler last weekend. I love this stuff, even though I'm losing my taste for NEIPA
IMG_20180930_160609.jpeg

10/30/18 Update:

24 days later and beer is really just starting to hit its prime. Not a clone by any means but pretty close! I had all sort of problems learning how to use my conical for the first time. #1 Fermenting under pressure probably didn’t help! #2 I ended up doing an open transfer because the line kept clogging from all the hops! Also, learned I should dump the trub/yeast cake before racking. This was probably not the best beer selection for breaking in my conical. I’m pretty sure I oxygenated the hell out of this beer!

All in all it’s a good beer, but it lacks body. Is 1lb flaked barley, flaked wheat, and wheat malt not enough? Maybe my water profile.

Last edited:
Nice job. I'd love to know the recipe myself.
Years back I bought some yeast from Parish and was told it was a variant of 007. They used it in everything they brewed years ago. Have no idea what they use now.

Nice job. I'd love to know the recipe myself.
Years back I bought some yeast from Parish and was told it was a variant of 007. They used it in everything they brewed years ago. Have no idea what they use now.

You're correct that it was 007, but it's 1318 now. And Ghost is pretty much all Citra hops, at least in the whirlpool/dry hop.

Andrew is pretty secretive with his recipes, so I haven't had any luck getting too much info from him re: grain bill. But it's not too complicated. Figure that 1318 will finish in the 1.018-1.020 range and back into the OG to get to 8.5%. Then lots of late Citra.

I was looking for a recipe for this beer. Unfortunately this was the only thread I found on it. Subscribing to get any updates.

I was looking for a recipe for this beer. Unfortunately this was the only thread I found on it. Subscribing to get any updates.
I also have been searching for a clone recipe, maybe since they have achieved wider recognition (https://www.hopculture.com/best-beers-2018/) someone will develop one. Their distribution has widened recently so many more are being exposed to it. Last month I made a Milkshake IPA (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/milkshake-ipa.654518/) that made me think it could be tweaked to a decent clone.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have access to it pretty regularly in MI due to a buddy that trades with a local there.

I'm in the Nola area and was told they use hop oil in the secondary. A friend toured the place (im getting around to it) and the brewers left the recipe chart for Canebreak out in the open (he snapped a pic!). So, I will be in search of the Ghost chart once I make it there. More curious about their bittering hops. Could probably sort out the rest. PS, im drink one as i type. Cheers.

Could you share the canebrake recipe? I’d like to try to brew it.

I've emailed Andrew and asked but I understand why he won't give out the recipe. I love this stuff but I think the water they use plays a huge part as all their beers are good. I agree with lots of Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy in the latest version.
Years ago, while a great beer, it was definitely a hop bomb in the bitter sense. It's evolved and is always evolving still.

The water in the area is moderately hard. Comes from the Chico aquifer. I live about 10 miles from where it’s brewed. The best water in the state is in Abita Springs where the Abita brewery is located. Or in Kentwood, LA. They bottle the Kentwood water and sell it all over the state.

I would like the canebreak recipe as well. I am willing to do a swap of ghost if anyone wants to trade. None in stock locally right now but I figure it will not be long before pure tropics, nova vert and bloom hit the shelves.

Last edited:
Ghost used to be a good beer when it was hard to get.

IMO seems like since they started mass producing Ghost the flavor has changed. I assume it's a different yeast they now use and maybe different water profile.

All of Parish Brewing beer is now overpriced. $9-10 a pint and $12/4 pack is insane.

Anyway I'm not a big DIPA drinker but I do hope someone can get close to cloning.

I would think Braufessors NEIPA recipe would be close using all citra and playing with the water profile.

I do know they used all citra and alot of it. Maris otter definitely isn't in the grain bill.

The Ghost on tap is still on point. I’m sure it’s changed over the years but every beer has to adapt to different variations of hop crops from year to year.

I have brewed a 5 gal batch all Citra (6oz) whirlpool and (6oz)dry hop could be pretty close but not orange enough for ghost. There seems to be something in the water that makes this 8.5% so tame. It has a really nice finish that leaves you wanting another sip, not dry and not watery, Not cloying or murky by any means.

Last edited:
My understanding from a few people who have asked questions is that they may be continually playing around with different hops, amounts and times. The yeast is still the same from what I'm told.
The game that they and many others across the country are playing with special releases to grab money is a bit concerning but I guess they have to get it where they can.

I have sent the bottle version a month or so old to folks up north and they still seem to think it’s pretty damn good. It’s still holding its own with the big boys in my opinion.

The tap room has a double hopped version too. I live in NC but work in Louisiana, wife's from New Iberia (5 miles away).

Next time I'm in town, I'll get a few crowlers for trading if anyone wants to try the DDH version.

The DDH version in front of the brewery.

KEUmhQXh.jpg

kuDvlKjh.jpg

qKgOUmyh.jpg

$12 for a 4 pack of a good Double NEIPA is a steal around my parts! Sadly, I don't even blink at shelling out $20 or more for a 4 pack these days...
I just have a hard time paying that. Anyway, I actually had one Saturday. I dont know what it is but it taste different than the last one I tried (6+ months ago). The one I had Saturday was on tap. It's was pretty damn good vs the one I previously had. Not sure what they changed but it was much better.

Back