Anyone using the TEFC Chugger mini max pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnef

Reaction score
I currently have a center inlet stainless chugger pump. In the past I've used a standard march inline pump as well.

I am thinking about adding a second pump into my setup, and was originally just going to get another standard center inlet stainless chugger, but then I saw that they have a TEFC version of the same pump, but I can't find many people using them or reviews of them.

Here is the chugger page: http://www.chuggerpumps.com/home-brewing-products/chugger-mini-max/tcpss-ci

Here is one vendor for pricing: https://www.brewershardware.com/Chugger-Mini-MAX-Stainless-Steel-Center-Inlet-Pump.html

So, do any of you use this particular pump?

Is there a reason beyond price why most don't seem to use the TEFC pumps?

The flow specs looked the same when I looked, but I do like the idea of having a TEFC motor for the pump, as I do get wort splashed on the pump when I have boilovers, and the oil port always makes me a bit nervous.

I'd be interested in any input about it beyond just the price, as it is more expensive, but it may be worth it for me. I am just in the research phase though, and the Blichman pump is also interesting to me at this point, so I may wait.

I am also using camlocks and the brewhardware take apart NPT valves, and it would be mounted on any pump I add, if that has any bearing on the conversation.

As far as i can tell they have been out of stock since their announcement and this is the first I have seen one being available to customers

Haha. Well then, maybe I should order one just to see if it is vaporware!

I definitely like the TEFC aspect, and honestly, am willing to spend the extra cash to try it out, I just need to save up a bit for it. I might get one next month to try out and review, as I haven't seen any reviews of the unit.

Can you give a review, or your impressions, comparison to the non TEFC 'regular' version? I can't seem to find any information about them being in use by anyone.

It's the one Chugger that I haven't had much experience with other than the initial testing we did when they first came out. The TEFC motor itself is the same one on the TEFC Max. 1/8th HP. The motor runs more quiet than the open vent motors on the regular chuggers and they are dual voltage 230/115 selectable by an internal switch. The actual pumping performance is nearly the same as the smaller 1/20th Chuggers because it's still turning the same impeller in the same head. My impression was that the extra power in the motor made the pump prime a bit easier than the smaller motor but that's anecdotal at best.

The mini-Max is about $50 more than the regular SS pumps and if dual voltage, more quiet operation, and more splash resistant (not wash downs) then it's a good choice.

Same pump head different motor so it will be very similar in performance. Only difference is wash down capable with the TEFC motor. I have several motors I use around here, only one is wash down capable because it is on my grain auger for my corn/pellet stove storage bin for heating the house. It gets rained on once in awhile when I am moving the 5 tons of corn I use to heat the house each winter. They make the same auger for indoor feed use with a non TEFC motor, same auger, same specs.

It's the one Chugger that I haven't had much experience with other than the initial testing we did when they first came out. The TEFC motor itself is the same one on the TEFC Max. 1/8th HP. The motor runs more quiet than the open vent motors on the regular chuggers and they are dual voltage 230/115 selectable by an internal switch. The actual pumping performance is nearly the same as the smaller 1/20th Chuggers because it's still turning the same impeller in the same head. My impression was that the extra power in the motor made the pump prime a bit easier than the smaller motor but that's anecdotal at best.

The mini-Max is about $50 more than the regular SS pumps and if dual voltage, more quiet operation, and more splash resistant (not wash downs) then it's a good choice.

Thanks for the anecdotal review, I appreciate it! That matches what I was thinking about the pump, and I do think it will be worth the money, at least to try out. If it works out as expected or better, I may replace my old stainless center inlet chugger with another TEFC one.

Bobby, do you also sell the center inlet stainless mini max? I could only find the inline version on your website.

Same pump head different motor so it will be very similar in performance. Only difference is wash down capable with the TEFC motor. I have several motors I use around here, only one is wash down capable because it is on my grain auger for my corn/pellet stove storage bin for heating the house. It gets rained on once in awhile when I am moving the 5 tons of corn I use to heat the house each winter. They make the same auger for indoor feed use with a non TEFC motor, same auger, same specs.

The chugger TEFC is NOT wash down rated.

Thanks for the anecdotal review, I appreciate it! That matches what I was thinking about the pump, and I do think it will be worth the money, at least to try out. If it works out as expected or better, I may replace my old stainless center inlet chugger with another TEFC one.

Bobby, do you also sell the center inlet stainless mini max? I could only find the inline version on your website.

I would swap the head for you, just order the inline and comment during checkout.

I just want to be sure people don't see wash down and think it means wash down. You can foul the bearings due to rust by spraying occasionally and that's not covered by warranty. Next thing I know, someone is calling pissed off that they thought they read it was wash down rated. It's less susceptible to water damage than open frame motors and that is as far as I can go.

Considering thousands of farmers across the USA use them in outdoor locations with no issues...

Yes, but he is the one that has to explain to a customer if something goes wrong, so he wants it to be very clear, and you continue to muddy the message...

As a Chugger dealer that works very closely with the manufacturer and actually has to deal with warranty claims, please stop trolling me. Not every TEFC motor is built the same. Yes, wash down rated motors ARE TEFC but not all TEFC motors are wash down rated. This isn't something to argue about. If you buy a chugger TEFC and you plan to spray the hell out of it, expect the warranty to be voided. It's a fact because I'll be the one that has to tell you the warranty is voided and it will be a sad day for all involved except for the person on the internet that said it should be safe for wash down. They just says "oops that sucks". That's the last post I'll make on the subject.

That price is a lot lower than people were expecting for the blichman riptide pump.

There are just a few things that keep me from seriously considering it. The first is that the pump head is inline. I prefer center inlet pumps now. The second is the valve itself - they used their fancy valve, but I actually prefer standard 1/4 turn ball valves (I use the take a part valves now, which are great). The third is the vent, something about it seems like it is unnecessary and adds a point of failure - I don't have issues priming my current chugger center inlet stainless pump, so I don't see the need for the vent.

I am hoping to be able to purchase the mini max center inlet stainless chugger soon to give it a try.

The best part of that pump is the tri-clamp mounting and the ease of cleaning that offers. That's brilliant.
And I see BE teasing about "upgrade" BE pump heads that will fit a March 809/815.

But I'm not a fan of that valve. I want something that can go full scope in an instant if need be, and if that style offers only modest control capabilities that's ok.
The one part of my brew day that benefits from fine-tuned flow control is managed by an autosparge anyway.

I'm gonna be on the fence...

Cheers!

Yea, I definitely agree on all accounts. I really like the triclamp design, but the other aspects that I enumerated above prevent me from really considering it.

Now, if they could come out with one that used a center inlet, no built in valve, but with the triclamp and enclosed motor, that would be amazing, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yea, I definitely agree on all accounts. I really like the triclamp design, but the other aspects that I enumerated above prevent me from really considering it.

Now, if they could come out with one that used a center inlet, no built in valve, but with the triclamp and enclosed motor, that would be amazing, but I'm not holding my breath.

What's so special about a center inlet, other than a slightly lower inlet resistance?

It also seems like the linear flow control valve would be ideal for adjusting flow rate during mash recirculation. But, might not be quite as convenient for draining the boil kettle.

Brew on :mug:

What's so special about a center inlet, other than a slightly lower inlet resistance?

It also seems like the linear flow control valve would be ideal for adjusting flow rate during mash recirculation. But, might not be quite as convenient for draining the boil kettle.

Brew on :mug:

I brew on a single tier, which means my vessel valves are all facing me. For inline pumps, it is best to have the inlet on the bottom, which is inconvenient to mount, or you have the inlet sideways, which is inconvenient as well when trying to pump from the far vessel opposite the direction of the inlet (does this make sense?). I started with the standard inline march pump many years ago, and built a custom mount so that I could have the inlet facing down, but then I had to add a 90 elbow, which also makes priming more difficult.

As for adjusting flow rates, I can definitely see the advantage for those that are fly sparging, but I don't fly sparge, so it isn't important for me. I also allow my pellet hops to free float in the boil kettle, so I tend to think it would clog a lot more easily with that style of valve (same reason why my Perlick 650ss will clog more easily than one that doesn't have a flow control valve).

All I can really say is that the Blichmann pump is not best suited to me and my priorities. Whether or not it fits someone else's priorities will be up to that individual. There are certain things I like, but there are enough issues for me to not consider it at this time.

Well, I just put my order in. I look forward to trying it out when I receive it!

The resulting incrementally higher performance - based on their performance curves.
And that might actually vaporize when running 1/2" plumbing.

Considering the number of times I'm fully opening and closing my pump output valves the prospect of that taking multiple turns is distinctly unattractive to me.
Same is true with my G1 kettle valves - I'm not a G2 fan.

As I don't find dialing in my recirculation or fly-sparge flow rates to be all that finicky, I'd prefer a traditional full-port ball valve.
Given the head design that clearly isn't going to be an option.

I don't find my 815s loud, and their capacities are more than needed on a 20g 3V single tier rig.
The RipTide attraction to me is the tri-clamp SS head.
If Chugger came out with a tri-clamp version of their SS head I'd snap a couple of those up...

Cheers!

Well, the pump just arrived:
34774272290_3c0b373648_b.jpg

I appreciate brewhardware swapping out the head for the center inlet one! I'll be wiring it up, adding a take apart valve, and then doing some tests with cleaner and sanitizer before I put it in to use.

I'll update here with any thoughts that I have about the pump itself and its performance.

Well, I was able to go ahead and put the camlock fittings on and the valve and run it with oxiclean and then rinse it out.

Here is a quick picture of it in action:
35122474356_6f9c5c5e59_b.jpg

It actually does seem to be able to pump faster, though I haven't done a side by side test yet.

I had also bought some new silicone tubing, same sidewall thickness, but it seems to be softer - either a slightly lower durometer, or just new, and my older ones have stiffened a bit. This pump was creating a strong enough vacuum on the inlet that the new tubing was starting to flex inward. I don't think it will be a problem, and I'll do a test with my older tubing to see if that actually works better. I still need to switch out my female camlocks for the big C's, and then I can do some tests.

Any updates?

Well, I've only brewed on it once. My brewing slowed down a lot right after I got it in.

It performed exactly as expected and as I wanted it. Enough that I plan on replacing the open motor one with another TEFC one in the future.

Now, I should say that it was worth it for me. I don't actually consider it to perform any 'better' per say in practical terms, so for those just looking at flow rates and pressure, this pump may be marginally better (I haven't done any tests though), but just the performance doesn't make it worth the price to me.

The other factors are what make it worth it to me. I like having the larger motor, I like that it is TEFC with no oil ports, that I can't drop any water onto the windings or into an oil port, or onto the cooling fan. It just seems to be a higher quality build, with a price that shows it.

For anyone just looking for a basic pump to get started, I would say that this pump isn't needed. If you want a basic pump that has an enclosed motor though, then this pump is definitely worth it. That one difference is what made it completely worth it for me, but we all have different priorities.

I also like that it has a power switch at the motor. It makes it convenient if I am closer to the pump than I am to the switch, though I don't expect to use it that often.

I hope that helps!

Considering thousands of farmers across the USA use them in outdoor locations with no issues...

The company I work for sells dozens of millions in irrigation pumps each year, and almost all the farmers want ODP motors that are fine running out in fields. I do TEFC into industrial applications just cause but don't make the mistake of thinking that'll handle wort like a washdown duty.

Back