Anyone using the Speidel 20L fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I brew 5-6 gallon batches and love my Speidel 30L fermenters except for one thing: the huge headspace. I'm sure the are more than 30L in volume.
Anyone brewing 5-6 gallon batches in a 20L without too much blow off?

I do 5 gallon cider batches in the 20L all the time and don't have any problems. That only leaves about 3/4 gallon of head space, and cider doesn't really krausen like beer does though.

I wouldn't worry about the headspace in the 30L if you're using them as primary.

I only use Speidel fermentors. However, my two 20L fermentors are not used for primary fermentation, only secondary/aging. Wish I could say "go for it" but I've never tried as I was fearful there wasn't enough room in the 20L for primary activities.

20L is only 5.3 gallon. Good luck with that. And I know for sure that 6 gallon isn't going to work.

I also use the 30L Speidel's to brew 6 gallon batches. I don't think the head space is an issue since fermentation will fill it with CO2. I was originally concerned about it, but have not experienced any problems or off flavors in my beers.

I have two of these--I can tell you for a fact that they actually hold 6 gallons of liquid when completely full. I've had 5 gallons fermenting in these before with no problems (with a yeast that's not known for huge krausen). You could probably even do a little bit more than that if you used fermcap.

My problem is that a 5 gallon batch only fills half way up the 8 gallon one and after much pondering I wonder how much of those aroma compounds off gas into that space.
This Brulosopher exp made me think about it even more:
http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/13/th...pace-during-fermentation-exbeeriment-results/

I've considered that too, but what's the difference of having a full fermenter and off gassing out the blow off tube? I just see it as an opportunity to up the batch size a little.

I've considered that too, but what's the difference of having a full fermenter and off gassing out the blow off tube? I just see it as an opportunity to up the batch size a little.

I just feel like the more encapsualted the beer is by itself the more flavour it will hold.
If you decrease the volume but the surface area stays the same there's more chance of those compounds being exposed.

By the time I account for trub and hop loss, the amount going into it is more like 6 gallons anyway.

If anyone is curious what 5 gallons actually looks like in a 20L Speidel, I measured it out and marked a line (see the photo link). There are ~2.25" of headspace between the liquid level and the shoulder. Should be fine for 5 gallon primary fermentation, particularly if you're using Fermcap-S! This makes for a low profile 5 gallon primary fermentor, which could be very nice for folks with space constraints (e.g., some fermentation chambers or kegerator shelves).

https://imgur.com/UCrUR1b
UCrUR1b

I have a 20L Speidel and I never bothered to measure an actual 5 gallons in it. This actually helps me tremendously. Thank you!

Absolutely! And it is only ~18" tall rigged with a blow-off tube. Good possibilities for folks setting up in limited spaces. For me, this opens up the possibility of fermenting on the top shelf of my upright keezer, with corny kegs on the floor below.

Latest posts

Back