Anyone using the Blichmann Breweasy Compact?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDrinkRepeat

Reaction score
I literally just found out about the Compact version a short time ago, and it ticks a LOT of boxes for me. (Currently using an Anvil Foundry 10g, which has been giving me a few problems lately.)

I immediately went to do research on it, and I'm finding surprisingly little info. Short Circuited did a couple of intro videos on it, and then never mentioned it again. Another channel has a series of videos detailing all the different components and one or two brewdays. But that's it. I don't see any other video reviews, and only a few scattered mentions from several years ago on the forums / Reddit / etc.

Am I just not finding them? Or is this thing really flying so far below the radar, no one is talking about it? I'm honestly shocked by the seeming lack of coverage of this thing... and has me second-guessing whether I should be thinking about getting one.

Anyway, I'd love if any Compact users would chime in with their thoughts on it, particularly as a 120V kitchen brewer.

Cheers!

Not a single person? This is pretty much what I'm talking about... this product is getting basically ZERO attention throughout the entire homebrew community (that I can see, anyway), which has me concerned.

(Although I guess if it was absolutely horrible it would be getting attention, for that reason.)

I know you're asking for actual user experience, but you're not getting any so I suppose it's OK to comment. Conceptually there's nothing wrong with the system and it will operate about the same as other single vessel, no sparge systems. The one sort-of unique part is that the recirculation is intentionally forced outward from a center pipe and was copied from the now defunct Brew-Boss system. I don't have any reason to believe that it's a better method than fully top down flow patterns. In fact, I'm pretty sure the liquor exiting down at the lower end of that pipe is going to channel straight down rather than radiating outward horizontally.

As is my criticism of most single vessel recirculating systems, at least the ones built on standard kettle geometry, they all would benefit from split recirculation (over the top of the grain and back into the whirlpool port to stir the heating space).

I've built this as a pieced together system several times and in larger sizes than the standard 10 gallon. As you get to the 15+ gallon size, I put the drain TC on the bottom so you can CIP. Note that a 10 gallon kettle is somewhat limiting on ABV maximum if you're trying to yield 6 gallons into the fermenter. You can kind of fudge it if you sparge it a little, but I prefer full volume no sparge.

While you can "get away" with 120v, you'll enjoy any new system as a significant upgrade if you go 240v. It's so much faster that you should beg, borrow or steal to get 240v.

Last edited:
Not a single person? This is pretty much what I'm talking about... this product is getting basically ZERO attention throughout the entire homebrew community (that I can see, anyway), which has me concerned.

(Although I guess if it was absolutely horrible it would be getting attention, for that reason.)

I started looking at the exact same system when it was released, only to have similar experience to yours where nobody really seems to be reviewing/using it. I'm also a Foundry 10G user. Started looking at these types of systems out of a desire to have a system that I could place on a counter/waist level. All of the bending, crouching down during brewing and cleaning leaves my lower back pretty wrecked after a brewday.

I would have to do some significant moving around of stuff in my garage to accommodate different equipment though, so I haven't been in too much of a hurry.

I know you're asking for actual user experience, but you're not getting any so I suppose it's OK to comment. Conceptually there's nothing wrong with the system and it will operate about the same as other single vessel, no sparge systems. The one sort-of unique part is that the recirculation is intentionally forced outward from a center pipe and was copied from the now defunct Brew-Boss system. I don't have any reason to believe that it's a better method than fully top down flow patterns. In fact, I'm pretty sure the liquor exiting down at the lower end of that pipe is going to channel straight down rather than radiating outward horizontally.

As is my criticism of most single vessel recirculating systems, at least the ones built on standard kettle geometry, they all would benefit from split recirculation (over the top of the grain and back into the whirlpool port to stir the heating space).

I've built this as a pieced together system several times and in larger sizes than the standard 10 gallon. As you get to the 15+ gallon size, I put the drain TC on the bottom so you can CIP. Note that a 10 gallon kettle is somewhat limiting on ABV maximum if you're trying to yield 6 gallons into the fermenter. You can kind of fudge it if you sparge it a little, but I prefer full volume no sparge.

While you can "get away" with 120v, you'll enjoy any new system as a significant upgrade if you go 240v. It's so much faster that you should beg, borrow or steal to get 240v.

Have you looked at the SSBrewtech SVBS? It allows recirculation simultaneously to both the top of the grain bed and to the lower whirlpool jet. Also, 4400W element. I just bought one, haven't received yet.
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/svbs

I started looking at the exact same system when it was released, only to have similar experience to yours where nobody really seems to be reviewing/using it. I'm also a Foundry 10G user. Started looking at these types of systems out of a desire to have a system that I could place on a counter/waist level. All of the bending, crouching down during brewing and cleaning leaves my lower back pretty wrecked after a brewday.

I would have to do some significant moving around of stuff in my garage to accommodate different equipment though, so I haven't been in too much of a hurry.

SSBrewtech sells this nifty brewcube thing. It has a bunch of attachments to customize for your own sitch. Might check it out, for your back's sake. (sorry, I know the last two posts make me sound like a shill, I'm not). Available are shelves, elevated arms to hold "stuff", wheels, etc.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/brewcube?_pos=1&_sid=f3882c434&_ss=r

You will like the brewcube. I have their grain mill mounted to a brewcube that has a cut out for a 5 gallon bucket underneath to catch the grain. Mounted on casters it moves like a dream and I can wheel out of the garage and onto the back lanai and then wheel it back with ease. My back is happy!

John

@passedpawn I didn’t get a “shill” vibe at all, so no worries.

I have read a little bit about the SVBS, and I’m intrigued. I still think it might be a tossup between the BE Compact and a Clawhammer tho. I inordinately end up on Bobby’s site every once in awhile too. I’ll admit to wanting to use a basket w/o a damn bag while not completely suffering with efficiency.

I’ll keep those brewcubes in mind too..

@passedpawn I didn’t get a “shill” vibe at all, so no worries.

I have read a little bit about the SVBS, and I’m intrigued. I still think it might be a tossup between the BE Compact and a Clawhammer tho. I inordinately end up on Bobby’s site every once in awhile too. I’ll admit to wanting to use a basket w/o a damn bag while not completely suffering with efficiency.

I’ll keep those brewcubes in mind too..

I just bought the SVBS. Waiting on delivery, Monday I think. I might post a review here after a few brews. PM me if you're interested in it, I'll give you my thoughts after I it arrives.

Andrew you should definitely post a review when you have a few brews under your belt. A lot of people would be interested in that info after you put it through it's paces.

John

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Glad to see a little conversation going!

@Bobby_M : I was hoping to find time to talk to you at NHC judging, but obviously there was a lot going on LOL.

I'm definitely curious about your systems; several guys in my club have them, and I've brewed on one of them. The only thing that really wouldn't work for me was the lack of a grain basket; they all have hoists for their grain bags, which I will never have permission to install in my kitchen! ;)

As for the 120V vs 240V, I really don't have any issues brewing on 120V. The ramp to strike temp happens overnight, and the ramp from 170º to a boil only takes about 40 minutes (which I use to clean stuff and get my hop additions ready).

Plus, I live in a very old house with NO vent hood over my stove (and it would be VERY expensive to put one in, given the layout of the kitchen and where the stove is (we looked into it when we bought the house).

I'm already a little concerned about the evaporation from my gentle 120V "simmer boil"; I think 240V would necessitate me brewing outside (and brewing indoors was the main reason I switched from my three-vessel propane system to an all-in-one)

@Knightshade : Someone mentioned that Blichmann probably didn't give these away to YouTubers for reviews, as they really don't need the exposure. Which is a good point, but I'm still surprised I haven't run across anyone posting videos of them just using it (i.e. just filming their brewday, not necessarily a review). It's like this thing doesn't exist in the real world... :(

@passedpawn I was excited to see the SVBS, as I'm already a user of some of their other stuff. It looks like a very well-thought-out system. But when I realized there was only a 240V model I took it off my short list. If I decide to go to 240V I would definitely consider it, but for right now I'm looking for another 120V system. (See above)

In the end, I think I'm looking for a "grown up" version of the Foundry; similar operation and footprint, with higher-end construction and more easily replaceable/repairable components. The BE Compact seems to fit that bill, but so do some others.

And, I readily admit I'm a bit of an "obsessive researcher" when I'm buying expensive kit. :)

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Glad to see a little conversation going!

I live in a very old house with NO vent hood over my stove (and it would be VERY expensive to put one in, given the layout of the kitchen and where the stove is (we looked into it when we bought the house).

I'm already a little concerned about the evaporation from my gentle 120V "simmer boil"; I think 240V would necessitate me brewing outside (and brewing indoors was the main reason I switched from my three-vessel propane system to an all-in-one)

And, I readily admit I'm a bit of an "obsessive researcher" when I'm buying expensive kit. :)
You should read this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/boil-kettle-condenser-no-overhead-ventilation-needed.636955/
Contributors include @Bobby_M etc.
Condenser for you is the solution.
Mine uses about 15 litres of water for a 60 minute boil.

Good luck with support from Blichmann if you do buy from them. I had a terrible time and ended up only getting relief through my credit card's extended warranty. There's a lot better options out there. I've been really happy with Spike.

@passedpawn I was excited to see the SVBS, as I'm already a user of some of their other stuff. It looks like a very well-thought-out system. But when I realized there was only a 240V model I took it off my short list. If I decide to go to 240V I would definitely consider it, but for right now I'm looking for another 120V system. (See above)

We all have different needs. I don't ever intend on brewing indoors (not even in my garage). I brew on a back patio. So steam isn't a big deal. And I already have GFCI-protected 240 there (just switched from dryer socket to L6-30r twist-lock for the SVBS). It sounds like you get your strike water going the night before you brew. That's a good idea.

We all have different needs. I don't ever intend on brewing indoors (not even in my garage). I brew on a back patio. So steam isn't a big deal. And I already have GFCI-protected 240 there (just switched from dryer socket to L6-30r twist-lock for the SVBS). It sounds like you get your strike water going the night before you brew. That's a good idea.
We do indeed, one of the cool things about the hobby is the wide variety of ways people accomplish the same things. :)

I used to brew outdoors (either in my driveway, or in my workshop) on a three-vessel propane-fired rig. Worked great, but there were a few BIG drawbacks.

The one unavoidable one was weather -- even when brewing inside the workshop, it's not insulated or climate-controlled in any way, so winter and summer were very uncomfortable to brew there, and then I have no running water or drainage out there so I had to run hoses from the house to the shed, and from the shed to one of my cleanouts (for chiller water).

And everything had to be hauled inside for cleaning. My brewday on that system was never less than 6 - 7 hours.

Between all of these things, I found myself brewing less and less, it became far too much of a chore to get enjoyment out of. And I didn't like that, I love brewing (and, of course, drinking and sharing the results of my efforts), so I knew I had to completely re-think my brewing processes.

Switching to a 120V* all-in-one was an absolute game-changer in every way. I brew right next to my kitchen sink so I have all the water and drainage I could possibly want, I can brew when it's 10º or 100º outside, bright sunshine or pouring rain or a blizzard.

And, of course, the most important aspect was that there was no sacrifice in beer quality for convenience. I would've never switched if that was the case. If anything, my beers got markedly better (although that's not because of the system specifically, rather that I was brewing more often and refining my recipes and water chemistry).

* If I'd already had a 240V line I likely would've gone that route from the get-go... but as I don't (both my stove and clothes dryer are gas, so no need), I decided to try 120V and never felt it was a detriment.

Good luck with support from Blichmann if you do buy from them. I had a terrible time and ended up only getting relief through my credit card's extended warranty. There's a lot better options out there. I've been really happy with Spike.

That’s not good to hear. I had only really considered the BE Compact due to my experience with Anvil/Blichmann support on a couple different things. They’ve sent me free parts and been really responsive. Specifically with questions/issues with a brew kettle and the foundry. I had an issue with my riptide (complete user error), but their response time was admirable. My stuff is out of warranty at this point so the experience might change, but they never asked me to verify purchase date, nor have I ever registered any of my hardware. Odd.

But that is also why I have Clawhammer on my list. I’ve heard good things, and the couple of questions I’ve sent over regarding their system and new fermenter have been answered fairly quickly with well thought out responses (vs cookie cutter)

Back