Anyone used Beets for sugars and colors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BankerJohn

Reaction score
Has anyone used Beets as an adjunct to provide sugars and colors to a brew? Does anyone have a recipe using beets?

Please share!

Did it taste good?
What colors did you get on a finished brew?

I brewed a beer where I used beets in the mash last year. The wort tasted of nothing but beets, but you could hardly taste them at all in the finished beer. Efficiency was lower than usual. The result was a crisp and dry pale ale with light sligthly fruity hops and great colour. Quite nice, but a bit too plain and boring for my tastebuds. I'll probably use beets again, but in a hoppier beer.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

BEET ROOT PALE ALE

Batch Size: 7,00 L
Boil Size: 8,58 L
OG: 1,041 SG
Estimated IBU: 30,6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68,00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Amount Item % or IBU
1000,00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) 56,75 %
562,00 gm Beet root 31,90 %
100,00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118,2 EBC) 5,68 %
100,00 gm Melanoiden Malt (70,0 EBC) 5,68 %
9,00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3,20 %] (Dry Hop)
10,00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3,20 %] (15 min) 5,4 IBU
15,00 gm Amarillo [9,40 %] (15 min) 24,0 IBU
10,00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3,20 %] (1 min) 0,5 IBU
5,00 gm Amarillo [9,40 %] (1 min) 0,7 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast

No notes about the mash, but I think it was a simple infusion mash, 90 minutes at 67 C.

John Niedermaier brewed a "Beet Wheat" at Right Brain when he was brewmaster there. There was a subtle hint of something different, but the color was amazing. I would not say it was my favorite beer ever, but it was not bad at all. John made lots of interesting things there. Can't wait until he gets his new place going.

Has anyone used Beets as an adjunct to provide sugars and colors to a brew? Does anyone have a recipe using beets?

Ya. I juice two liters of beets and add it at the beginning of my boil on a 200 liter batch. Color is amazing.

Back