Anyone use this pump from Harbor Freight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I just saw this pump, figured maybe this could be a HLT -> Mash Tun pump, what do you think? ~$35.00.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

hbw 002.jpg

It doesn't mention anything about being food safe in the description/specifications, so for that reason alone I would be wary of using it.

I have been using it for 3.5 years now! i only use it on the chilled side beings how its not set up for high temp! i use a computer power supply for the actual power. I also have it set up so i can use the 5 v , 9v and the 12 vlt from the supply this allows me to select the speed! a dial reostat(spelling bad) would probably be better! the only thing i have had go wrong with pump is the gasket failed on me after 3 years! i made a new one! it works great just take off the pump housing after each use so no moisture is trapped in there!

I would not use it in contact with work or strike/sparge water. I would not use it for anything hot either. There are threads on here for a small 12 volt pump with power supply that is food safe for $50, I would go with that for strike and sparge water on a budget,

It says its a stainless housing, I would think that is food safe. As far as 12 volts buy a cheap battery, I bought a "blem" from Interstate battery for $35 to run my grain mill that is powered by a Saturn electric power steering motor.

We used one to transfer water from a potable water tank into and RV water tank - a little noisy but worked well enough. Not sure but they look like they have a stainless head.

As far as food safe, I've been using a Little Giant pump that's heat rated but probably not food rated for years - use your best judgement.

Well the reason I was asking is since it said it has a SS housing. However, like you guys mention, it doesn't talk about food safe, or temp possibilities. Maybe I will spend a few more dollars and buy a different one. Thanks for the comments.

The issue with food safe is not the actual housing, but the gaskets and bearing in the pump which are not stainless. I would not use for contact with wort or water that gets made into wort. It should be ok for chilling water.

I dont see a warning about not using it for potable water in the instruction manual.... I do see a warning "4. Do not use this product if under the influence of alcohol or drugs." :mug:

I dont see a warning about not using it for potable water in the instruction manual.... I do see a warning "4. Do not use this product if under the influence of alcohol or drugs." :mug:

So they must list everything you can not do with this pump in the manual?
137) Do not through the pump at an eldely gentleman :D

It says it is for pumping out bilges and marine applications - I don't think anyone wants to drink bilge water so I'm going to say the manufacter is not worried about amking sure it is food safe.

So they must list everything you can not do with this pump in the manual?
137) Do not through the pump at an eldely gentleman :D

It says it is for pumping out bilges and marine applications - I don't think anyone wants to drink bilge water so I'm going to say the manufacter is not worried about amking sure it is food safe.

If it was dangerous to use for potable water, I bet they'd warn against using it for that purpose. It also says it's a general purpose pump. I've drank water that has been pumped through one of those and I'm here to talk about it today. Your results may vary.

212) Do not use while bathing :ban:

I picked up a 300GPH version here a week ago to transfer water from one kettle to another. Haven't tried it out yet though.

As for the not being food safe, I'm pretty sure the garden hoses left outside year round are not foodsafe, yet I'll still drink out of them in the summer. It's all up to what the person feels safe with. I'm curious if it'll hold up to the 170 deg temps.

I would not use it in contact with work or strike/sparge water. I would not use it for anything hot either. There are threads on here for a small 12 volt pump with power supply that is food safe for $50, I would go with that for strike and sparge water on a budget,

The 12v and 24v food safe ones can actually be found for under $20 shipped...I own 5 of them and have been using them for over a year.

these harbor freight ones are not made of materials that are safe for food...since they are meant for marine and utility use they could have all sorts of cheap non food grade internal part compositions. They likely used oil or grease inside when built and the impeller is likely made of a non foodgrade material that leeches into the the liquid at higher temps.. It likely wont cause any noticable health issues but then again theres been no testing or consideration in its design to say it wont.

I picked up a 300GPH version here a week ago to transfer water from one kettle to another. Haven't tried it out yet though.

As for the not being food safe, I'm pretty sure the garden hoses left outside year round are not foodsafe, yet I'll still drink out of them in the summer. It's all up to what the person feels safe with. I'm curious if it'll hold up to the 170 deg temps.

I love how people rationalize this stuff in their head....very true though...people used mercury for cuts and bruises and kids ate lead paint for years too.... if it wasnt for all the times it didnt turn out well for them we may still be using them...
Darwinism needs more people with this mindset for everything. people that assume modern garden hoses even remotely resemble the same type of hoses used before all of the warnings started coming out from the companies warning people "hey we dont make they things out of safe stuff anymore"

But you right, it CAN take a lot of exposure to something before it can permanently harm you IF it does at all... Especially something like this pump... But I dont think a person should rationalize to others that the risk level is all the same as drinking from a garden hose a couple times a year...
especially when there ARE safe options actually designed and tested for food use for the same money?

As far as these harbor frieght things generally go (I own a lot of HF stuff) if it can be made out of a cheaper material, they are all for it they come from a land with no real regulations and if it doesnt say foodsafe you can bet your ass it likely isnt!...
Which is why you see the warnings all over anything with a motor they sell being known to cause cancer.... I wouldnt put much faith in the quality of the potmetal that may be used for something inside the pump or the plastics either when it comes to hot food contact.

Interesting point.... my transmission does not say not to use gasoline or wiper fluid in it instead of ATF fluid so it must be ok to lubricate the transmission as well right? It does say what to use for best performance but not that I cant use the stuff above..

I think the fact that the pump clearly states what it IS for and that food is not mentioned should be enough...

Interesting point.... my transmission does not say not to use gasoline or wiper fluid in it instead of ATF fluid so it must be ok to lubricate the transmission as well right? It does say what to use for best performance but not that I cant use the stuff above..

I think the fact that the pump clearly states what it IS for and that food is not mentioned should be enough...

Every tranny I've ever had said "Dexron II only" (Or now Dexron III) - but I digress, all I have now is standards and my truck actually wants Castrol Synthetic in it's NV4500.

I'm still here - ailment free except for the occasional hangover - and I've drank water that has been pumped by one of those units.

Not sure how well they'd take the heat of a mash tun though.

Every tranny I've ever had said "Dexron II only" (Or now Dexron III) - but I digress, all I have now is standards and my truck actually wants Castrol Synthetic in it's NV4500.

I'm still here - ailment free except for the occasional hangover - and I've drank water that has been pumped by one of those units.

Not sure how well they'd take the heat of a mash tun though.
Hot wort is what I would be worried about... pumping cold or room temp water would likely be fine after whatever lubricants they use if any were removed when non foodgrade plastic gets hot it starts to leech chemicals..

Hot wort is what I would be worried about... pumping cold or room temp water would likely be fine after whatever lubricants they use if any were removed when non foodgrade plastic gets hot it starts to leech chemicals..

Yep - I'd have to agree - I'd want to pump hot cleaning solution (HCS??) through the pump prior to using it.

Back