Anyone use cinnamon sticks in cider? Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeegsD

Reaction score
How much is enough? I want to add a little spice to my cider and I think cinnamon would be the best. Anyone out there have any experience in it?

How much is enough is always the thing with cinnamon.
when in doubt,, go less.
Cinnamon goes from 0 to yuck real quick

It depends. Are you msking 1,3 or 5 gallons? Whay size cinnamon stick are you using? In a three gallon batch I generally put in 2-3 sticks that are about 2.5 inches in length. ellpout is right. start slow.....you can always add more but you can't take it out once it is in there

I made a 6 gallon batch. The sticks I have are about 2.5 in in length as well. So I'm thinking about 4 or 5 then. I want a subtle cinnamon flavor, not a smack you in the face flavor. I'll probably start off with 4 and see how it tastes after a week.

Thanks for the replies RugenBrau and eelpout!

I's start off with three to be safe.....and I wouldn't make a judgement about any additions till after the 2nd week

when do you guys add them?
i added 1 1/2 sticks to my apfelwine when i was boiling the juice and sugar and i cant really detect any cinnamon 5 weeks on =/

How long? my recipe says to let sit in secondary for 2 weeks. Is that enough time or should I toss em into the primary now?

Back