Anyone recall a podcast where they talk about using a TON of citrus zest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
I remember listening to it a little bit ago but forget which one it was. Someone was talking about adding a softball sized ball of zest to a belgian wit. The reason I want to relisten is I'm about to do a beer that's somewhat like Ithaca 13 and a Cambridge Brewing Co. Saison I had last summer that uses a ton of fresh citrus zest.

Hey - can you share your recipe with me? I had an Ithaca 13 last week and fell in love with the beer...but not far enough along in my development to try to clone it on my own.

thanks
matt

Well my recipe is more 13 inspired than a clone, I wanted to go with a clean yeast and make it more sessionable (SWMBO isn't a belgian fan at all)... so it's basically kind of a wheat/pale ale recipe with Citra and Sorachi Ace and a ton of zest. I used a bit of Palisade because it has a nice peppery flavor that goes well with fruitiness and I get a little but of a passionfruit note as well.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 62.5 %
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 25.0 %
1.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 12.5 %
0.50 oz Palisade [8.00%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) 8.5 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [10.80%] (15 min) 8.6 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.50%] (15 min) 24.8 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [10.80%] (5 min) 3.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.50%] (5 min) 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [8.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [10.80%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
1.00 oz Citra [12.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
1.00 lb Rice hulls (Mash 60.0 min)
1.00 items Citrus Zest (Boil 5.0 min)
1 packet S05

Citrus zest: 3 minneola oranges, 3 blood oranges, 2 limes, 2 honey tangerines, 3 lemons, 3 navel oranges, 1 white grapefruit

Mash@152

I had trouble with the mash getting stuck but hit my OG anyways. I'm a little worried about too much bitterness... we'll see how it goes!

Hey - how'd the brew turn out? I brewed a variant of your recipe and am about to dry hop. Thinking about cutting the dry hop to 1 ounce, as 3 ounces seems like overkill, but curious about your outcome.

peace.
matt

Hey - how'd the brew turn out? I brewed a variant of your recipe and am about to dry hop. Thinking about cutting the dry hop to 1 ounce, as 3 ounces seems like overkill, but curious about your outcome.

peace.
matt

It got dry-hopped today, I'll taste it at bottling next week

:mug:

I just did a Sorachi Ace american wheat (70% wheat) and I love this hop

I used harvested pacman yeast and I really liked how nice it played with the delicate flavors of the beer.

I'm going to tweak it a little bit next time I brew it. Mine had a nice spice flavor already from the SA-- adding palisades should help bring that flavor out some more? I also added some dried lemon peel and I would like for the lemon flavor to be more pronounced. What would you suggest?

I just did a Sorachi Ace american wheat (70% wheat) and I love this hop

I used harvested pacman yeast and I really liked how nice it played with the delicate flavors of the beer.

I'm going to tweak it a little bit next time I brew it. Mine had a nice spice flavor already from the SA-- adding palisades should help bring that flavor out some more? I also added some dried lemon peel and I would like for the lemon flavor to be more pronounced. What would you suggest?

That sounds awesome. I was considering doing a Sorachi american wheat in the near future. I was thinking I'd use a little palisades in there since I have some left... I mean I get a peppery and passionfruit/apricot flavor but everything I read I see that it's grassy/apricot, so take that for what it's worth. You found that sorachi alone was a bit of a one note experience I take it?

On the spices/herbs side, I was thinking it'd be interesting to add saffron since citrus/saffron is delicious but being that it's the most expensive spice on the planet idk that I'll do it. It'd be cool to use cilantro to accent the lemon but you might get vegetal flavors from it, I'd do some research first. Maybe lemongrass?

If you really want to add some more spicy hop notes use a bit of noble-type hops. Liberty would be good as would Saaz and Hallertau. Also for the lemon peel, I'd just zest some fresh lemons as opposed to dried peel (or maybe even do both, I subscribe to the theory that the more layers of a desired flavor the better).

-----------------------------------

So I just bottled my Thirteen tribute an hour ago. I have to say, it seriously tastes a LOT like thirteen! The yeast fermented very clean, the flavor is just a blast of citrus. I think they must use a similar ratio of Citra to Sorachi Ace because I think this would be the hop profile to use in a clone (though they use only the two hops, I added Palisades). It came out very dry, 1.006... I attribute that to the stuck mash, it probably wound up mashing for two hours. At this point it actually seems like it should be that dry but it's not carbonated yet so I can't be sure. My concerns about too much bitterness have been assuaged. Thirteen is actually fairly bitter so if I were to go for an actual clone I'd up the IBUs.

here's the description from their website:
Our anniversary ale, THIRTEEN is carefully brewed with raw and malted wheat and flaked oats, assertively hopped with Citra and Sorachi Ace, spiked with an addition of orange and lemon peel and vigorously fermented with an American Ale yeast.

Enjoy the incandescent appearance, immense citrus aromas and flavors, soft and fluffy mouthfeel and bitter zing.

ABV: 8.9 %
Malt: Raw & malted wheat, flaked oats
Hops: Citra, Sorachi Ace
Other: Orange & lemon peel

Hopefully it doesn't fade much while it bottle conditions, I'm extremely happy with where it's at right now. I'll post my thoughts again once it's properly conditioned.

You definitely can pull some lemon flavors from the SA
I really didn't want to do anything but showcase the hop and I loved it

Spice really dominated my flavor profile: which wasn't very STRONG but it was definitely the strongest flavor in my brew with a hint of lemon.

Next time I'm going to up the lemon peel and maybe add a little saaz

You definitely can pull some lemon flavors from the SA
I really didn't want to do anything but showcase the hop and I loved it

Spice really dominated my flavor profile: which wasn't very STRONG but it was definitely the strongest flavor in my brew with a hint of lemon.

Next time I'm going to up the lemon peel and maybe add a little saaz

Nice, that's pretty much what my 2nd next beer is going to be... SA American Wheat with Saaz and lemon peel. Thanks for the inspiration!

Holy crap this beer is AWESOME! I hit exactly what I wanted and the flavor has not faded much since I bottled it. Normally my beers take 3 weeks to taste good but this one is definitely ready 2 weeks after bottling.

So happy with it, this will definitely be something I make twice a year at a minimum.

Still got some bottles of this? Wondering how it holds up over six months or so. I'm going to be brewing this soon, with some modifications in your recipe. 10 gallon batch to be split. 5 gallons bottled as normal. And 5 gallons to be soured with Brett, lacto, and pedo along with blackberries in the secondary.

How close is it to Thirteen?

Cheers!

Still got some bottles of this? Wondering how it holds up over six months or so. I'm going to be brewing this soon, with some modifications in your recipe. 10 gallon batch to be split. 5 gallons bottled as normal. And 5 gallons to be soured with Brett, lacto, and pedo along with blackberries in the secondary.

How close is it to Thirteen?

Cheers!

I had the last bottle about a month ago. It was still quite good, the zest was at the forefront and the hops were a bit faded. I think it was at its best when it was super fresh and at about 4-5 months. In between those times it's still delicious but the balance isn't quite as impressive IMO. I like it a lot with some age on it, the balance it reaches is really nice. I haven't tried it past 6 months but I'd imagine it'll still be tasty.

I did another batch with more widely available fruits, I posted the recipe on HBT after I'd confirmed that the beer is actually very good: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/zest-bomb-citrus-wheat-pale-ale-264163/

I brought the new batch to a new years party and got rave reviews from hopheads, homebrewers, and non-beer drinkers alike.

The flavor profile is pretty close to Thirteen. The bitterness seems about right and for being a significantly smaller beer it seems to strike a similar balance. The second batch is definitely closer to 13 flavor-wise as it's less orange-focused, though I think I liked the first one a bit more. Next time around I'll aim for halfway in between.

Souring it is a really interesting idea. It'll be kinda like another great Ithaca beer, LeBleu. I can see that being really good :mug: Def let me know how that goes!

Convinced me. Probably going to bottle in 750s and a few 375s.

Your grainbill has no oats though, like Thirteen. Claims it has flaked oats, and a combo of malted and unmalted wheat. Never brewed a wheat based beer before so I'm toying around with a grain bill here:

10 lb. Pale Malt (briess) 48.8%
2 lb. White Weat 9.8%
5 lb. Flaked Wheat 24.4%
1.5 lb. Vienna Malt 7.3%
1 lb Flaked Oats 4.9%
1 lb Rice Hulls 4.9%
1 oz Sorachi Ace [10.80%] (15 min) 8.6 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.50%] (15 min) 24.8 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.50%] (5 min) 10.0 IBU
1 oz Sorachi Ace [10.80%] (Dry Hop 3 days)

Also took out the Palisade strictly for availability purposes here. Tennis ball sized amount of zest to be added also.

And about LeBleu... haven't been able to track that one down yet. I see the 2012 batch hasn't hit yet, been looking around on BeerAdvocate but no hits. Got any spare bottles of it laying around?

Looks good to me. I didn't do the oats because I wasn't really going for a clone, just taking the idea and applying it to a pale ale/"american witte" concept. Same with the wheat. The palisade probably won't make much of a difference, it was mainly in there to increase the bitterness a bit and reinforce the pepper notes from the Sorachi.

Are you going with less hops for the sake of the bugs? The BU/GU ratio in your recipe is quite different than mine, mine's 1.016 whereas yours is .555. I'd imagine it'll still be good without that much bitterness but it'll come off as maltier.

As for LeBleu, I don't have any bottles but I'm hoping to get a whole bunch. I have a buddy who lives near the brewery who can hook me up. They were planning on releasing it on New Years Day but the beer wasn't ready. Now they're saying that it should be relatively soon but they're not going to rush it.

Woops, forgot about redoing the hops.

1 oz Sorachi 20 min
.5 oz Sorachi 15 min
1.5 oz Citra 15 min
1 oz Sorachi 5 min
2 oz Citra 5 min
1 oz Sorachi (dry hop 3 days)
1 oz Citra (dry hop 3 days)

Is my new hop schedule, but I'm still fresh at this so your input is greatly appreciated.
I'm looking to come close to Thirteen. I wouldn't dry hop the sour batch until right before bottling, perhaps not at all.

It looks like it'll be a pretty tasty hop schedule but if you want to use my recipe as a guideline you'll want about 16 more IBU for the bitterness. You could always add a little bit of something at the beginning of the boil for that.

I hear that hops can inhibit some bugs, especially lacto, so using a lot of hops might be problematic for the sour half. Might want to check out/ask questions in the Lambic & Wild Brewing forum for advice on that

So much to think about. Gonna do some tinkering with the hop schedule.

Good news about the LeBleu though, tracked down batch 1 and 2 along with a Brute. Excited to try those.

So much to think about. Gonna do some tinkering with the hop schedule.

Good news about the LeBleu though, tracked down batch 1 and 2 along with a Brute. Excited to try those.

Oh wow where did you find them? Brute is awesome too.

Someone bit on BeerAdvocate. Unfortunately I have to give up some Cantillon Fou'Foune in return.

Also- someone brought this up on BeerAdvocate... no bittering hops? First addition at 20 mins?

Also- someone brought this up on BeerAdvocate... no bittering hops? First addition at 20 mins?

There's a first wort hop addition that acts as the bittering. Also the IBUs from the relatively high AA Citra and Sorachi at 15min contribute a good amount of bittering. The idea behind no 60min addition was for the bitterness to be smooth, kinda like 100% hopburst IPAs.

Sweet gonna do this tomorrow with an updated grainbill:

10 lb. Pale Malt (briess) 48.8%
5 lb. White Weat 24.4%
2 lb. Flaked Wheat 9.8%
1.5 lb. Vienna Malt 7.3%
1 lb Flaked Oats 4.9%
1 lb Rice Hulls 4.9%

and updated hop bill:
1 oz Sorachi Ace [10.80%] (20 min) 8.6 IBU
1 oz Sorachi Ace [10.80%] (15 min) 8.6 IBU
2.00 oz Citra [12.50%] (15 min) 24.8 IBU
2.00 oz Citra [12.50%] (5 min) 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [10.80%] (Dry Hop 3 days)

FINALLY doing this. Just mashed in. In another hour I'll start batch sparging and go from there. Decided to tweak the hop bill a little:

1 oz Zythos Pellet (10.9%) 45 min
1 oz Sorachi Ace (10.8%) 25 min
1 oz Sorachi Ace (10.8%) 15 min
2 oz Citra (12.5%) 15 min
.5 oz Sorachi Ace (10.8%) 5 min
2 oz Citra (12.5%) 5 min
Dry hop with an oz each of Citra/Sorachi for 3 days before bottling.

Here we go!

Back