Anyone put themselves into "self isolation"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, did this thread start in the drunken rambling area or did it get an uber?

No cough or aches so gunna say allergies, brew today as it is suppose to rain the next few days.

edit - should of said no new aches

Last edited:
Totally missed my point. Remember when AIDS first appeared?
Yes, there was a lot of misinformation, and unwarranted panic among people not engaged in the behaviors that put people at risk for contracting HIV. With Covid-19 the risk behaviors are just engaging in everyday life. And the early misinformation with Covid-19 mostly minimized the danger, as opposed to HIV where the misinfo tended to exaggerate the dangers to the general public.

Brew on :mug:

Yes, there was a lot of misinformation, and unwarranted panic among people not engaged in the behaviors that put people at risk for contracting HIV. With Covid-19 the risk behaviors are just engaging in everyday life. And the early misinformation with Covid-19 mostly minimized the danger, as opposed to HIV where the misinfo tended to exaggerate the dangers to the general public.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
My wife and I, not wanting to participate in the unmitigated spread of the virus, have confined ourselves to our house for the past 2 weeks. We only go out when strictly necessary and maintain social distance as is expected when we do, hoping to delay our exposure to the virus to a later date when we will not add to the currently overloaded healthcare system. Neither of us personally fear catching the coronavirus, we just don't want to catch it while our healthcare infrastructure is overloaded. My wife and I both weathered the H1N1 flu which was for me a mild cold but for her was a 2.5 week-long debilitating ordeal that really tested her overall health. Although it was 11 years ago I don't feel she has ever fully regained her vigor. She has an autoimmune disorder which makes her more susceptible and my worst fear is her falling ill and needing a ventilator precisely at the time when none are available.

If you have to go out in public, please wash your hands and please, please do what you can to help flatten the curve, FFS.

Lives depend on it.

EDIT: oh yeah, we're both in our early 40's.
does your wife have Lupus?

I recall the beginning of HIV. It meant no more random sex with a woman I met at the bar, no more sex without a condom most of the time. It sucked!

I played D&D in college.
I didn't have to worry about buying to many condoms and was more than happy when I had a need to wear one. :)

If you want to be tested, but there is a critical shortage of tests in your area, just cough in the face of a rich person. They will be tested immediately and you can track their results.

I'm still sick from wed.
no fever
no breathing issues.
not really a runny nose either.
I got a cough and can feel IT in my chest around the sternum area.
and I need to lie down now and then and nap.

Dr said it could be any virus or the Chinese virus and it just isn't affecting me that bad.
either way, nobody has tests and i'm not in distress so i'm just going to stay in until i'm better.

I'm still sick from wed.
no fever
no breathing issues.
not really a runny nose either.
I got a cough and can feel IT in my chest around the sternum area.
and I need to lie down now and then and nap.

Dr said it could be any virus or the Chinese virus and it just isn't affecting me that bad.
either way, nobody has tests and i'm not in distress so i'm just going to stay in until i'm better.

I'm still down but feeling a little better. Made the mistake of mowing the lawn a few days ago. I didn't realize how short of breath I was until then. It wiped me out. Part of it could of been all the sitting around I've been doing the last few months, recovering from a hip replacement in January that really saps the energy out of me.

Well, I'm single, and semi-retired, so no big changes in my life. I've always been kind of antisocial anyway. The only real change is in my part time work, which usually requires international travel. No big, I get social security, and have lots of supplies to brew beer. And I have toilet paper.
;)

I've always been kind of antisocial anyway.

ditto.....i honestly don't know why i spend so much time here.....lol

edit: how gross would it be if i use dish towels for TP?.....i'm getting low.......but always wanted something reusable, at $20 a pack, i've always thought it was pricey....and now i can't get it.

ditto.....i honestly don't know why i spend so much time here.....lol

edit: how gross would it be if i use dish towels for TP?.....i'm getting low.......but always wanted something reusable, at $20 a pack, i've always thought it was pricey....and now i can't get it.

Kinda funny (I thought), but my brother came to visit today (he lives about 40 miles away), and the first thing he asked me was if I had any toilet paper to spare.
EDIT: That was actually the third thing he asked. First was what kind of beer I had on hand, and second was what I had to eat.:thumbsup::taco:

I have been telecommuting for 18+ years so I have to really leave the house only a few times a month for club or school events. More or less self isolated. My employer has been deemed Essential at this time so it is business like normal for now. Upside to working from home is a beer with lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_115905206.jpg
    IMG_20200317_115905206.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
I'm still down but feeling a little better. Made the mistake of mowing the lawn a few days ago. I didn't realize how short of breath I was until then. It wiped me out. Part of it could of been all the sitting around I've been doing the last few months, recovering from a hip replacement in January that really saps the energy out of me.

yeah, I get the same thing. probably a combo of sick/not exercising all winter.
but as long as everything else improves.

this morning was the first morning I woke up and my body didn't try to reject a lung!
I'm hoping by the weekend i'll be a few days feeling good.
hope you are better also.

I have been telecommuting for 18+ years so I have to really leave the house only a few times a month for club or school events. More or less self isolated. My employer has been deemed Essential at this time so it is business like normal for now. Upside to working from home is a beer with lunch.

tumblr_o2yqygKAO31upwh97o2_250.gifv

what are we designing there?
I know just enough to see you are designing a circuit for a microcontroller.
I used to read that stuff and troubleshoot it but never got into designing.

Guvnor finally issued the dreaded "stay at home" order, accompanied by a 14-page list of "essential" businesses that can remain open. Both of my jobs (full time truck dispatcher for a logistics company, and part-time warehouse worker at pharmaceutical wholesaler) are technically on the list, so no surprise unplanned vacation for me, dammit. I can partially work from home for the primary job but the bosses are hesitant, even though I do it every time I stay home sick and I'm salary to boot.

Since my dear wife died a bit over 4 years ago, I have become a self-imposed hermit. I don't go out if I don't have to go. Now, with C19, I have a politically correct term for my lifestyle: self-isolation. I am 73 years old, so I do fall into that group of people called "elderly." Since I fit into that group, I now have the "privilege" of shopping at Walmart on Tuesday from 600am to 700am! Ain't that swell??? I truly enjoy getting up at the butt-crack of dawn...NOT!!! My local grocery store is a bit more liberal: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 700am to 800am. An Internet connection does make self-isolation quite a bit easier.

glenn514:mug:

Guvnor finally issued the dreaded "stay at home" order, accompanied by a 14-page list of "essential" businesses that can remain open. Both of my jobs (full time truck dispatcher for a logistics company, and part-time warehouse worker at pharmaceutical wholesaler) are technically on the list, so no surprise unplanned vacation for me, dammit. I can partially work from home for the primary job but the bosses are hesitant, even though I do it every time I stay home sick and I'm salary to boot.

You and my wife. She works at a local Bartell in the pharmacy. No vacay for her, especially with most everybody in the rest of the state not working, getting bored, filling prescriptions for months out and going shopping.

You guys admitting to self isolation not being a new thing are leaving out an important explanation:

Nobody really likes you anyway, so why should they come and visit?

This is at the heart of my years of ongoing isolation

Since my dear wife died a bit over 4 years ago, I have become a self-imposed hermit. I don't go out if I don't have to go. Now, with C19, I have a politically correct term for my lifestyle: self-isolation. I am 73 years old, so I do fall into that group of people called "elderly." Since I fit into that group, I now have the "privilege" of shopping at Walmart on Tuesday from 600am to 700am! Ain't that swell??? I truly enjoy getting up at the butt-crack of dawn...NOT!!! My local grocery store is a bit more liberal: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 700am to 800am. An Internet connection does make self-isolation quite a bit easier.

glenn514:mug:

Glenn - are you still making music?

Good news! My youngest daughter is going to pick me up some nice European Lagers after work and drop them off. Homebrew is nice but I do enjoy professional beer and variety.

All of my symptoms are now gone. I'm supposed to still wait 3 days before venturing out to be recontaminated, lol. Friday here I come for tp.

It amounts to a confession on this site. I absolutely love Warsteiner, Bitburger, and Paulaner along with others from the continent. They aren't as good over here as they nice and fresh in Germany but I'll take what I can get.

I didn't do any homebrew for a few months due to recovering from hip replacement. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I was able to brew. I did brew a nice Maibock prior to surgery and it's good right now. However, it's a beer that I don't usually have more than one of at a sitting. I have a Pils I've tapped and it's drinkable but it really should sit for a few more weeks.

Lol here too...I've got two kegs in the kegerator that are fairly full (Porter and American Strong that were supposed to go for now cancelled competition, golly don't want to waste them....) and both carboys full; one is a Sabro/Citra IPA that's crashing now and will get kegged on Thursday, the other an amber lager that I brewed last weekend that will get two weeks. Still have enough grain, yeast, propane, and hops to do something else this weekend too. Gotta keep them pipelines full. We have enough frozen, fresh, and canned food in the house to last at least 2 weeks if we don't binge eat, and can still get fresh dairy products (the husband drinks a gallon of milk every two days, yuck) locally so we are set. Plenty of food and treats for the furry kids too as well as cat litter.

And Amazon is still considered essential since they do deliver food, so the last missing part for my spare car will arrive on Thursday, giving me something else to do. Got plenty to keep me busy with two jobs and housewifely/car-maintenancy/brewery goddess chores. Husband contributes by making oo-scoobs of money working overtime at a job he really loves. Now I gotta go beat his ass at cribbage....

My soda kegs now have 3 Pils, 1 Maibock, 1 Helles Export, and 1 Asian pear cider. Another Export is fermenting and the grains are ground for a Marzen.

The waiting is the hardest part. Someone made a song about it.

My car battery was dead, so in the interest of "self isolation", I ordered new battery online. When available I called to tell them I was in the parking lot, and left the dead core on the curb. They brought out the new battery, left it on the curb, took the old core. No contact with anyone. It's like a game of chess...….

I'm self-isolating, but only because I now have a good excuse for not having to visit with the in-laws :D

my job had me bouncing from the north end of Seattle down to Santa Clara/Palo Alto every week this year. nice to again be looking out the home office window at pooping horses during exec meetings instead of sitting with recent Stanford grads who think they know way more than they actually do

Umm, hate to be a downer, but I hope you are all taking this seriously? You are placed to be the world's most infectious place on the planet soon. You should be staying close to your homes and drinking epic quantities of home-brew.. ..Sorry, but as an infectious disease researcher I had to "keep it real".. ..I'll go back to my antiviral booze now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, hate to be a downer, but I hope you are all taking this seriously? You are placed to be the world's most infectious place on the planet soon. You should be staying close to your homes and drinking epic quantities of home-brew.. ..Sorry, but as an infectious disease researcher I had to "keep it real".. ..I'll go back to my antiviral booze now...

Why do you have to be like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I turn out my underpants daily and wear my baseball caps backward daily in the hopes of not having to go into work for another day. Is this NOT working?

Isn't that basically what Ted Nugent did to get out of going to 'nam?

Why do you have to be like that?

Sorry, really, I do mean it! But many people are not taking this seriously. If we had down votes here, I would endure them.. ..in force.. ..but the message is really, really important. You are in one of the hardest hit centres of the continent, I hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

Back