Anyone put themselves into "self isolation"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
I've had a scratchy throat for a few days. Yesterday upper respiratory congestion and slight shortness of breath started. Absolutely nothing serious and at any other time I would go ahead and do the things I normally do.

I find myself making a decision to stay home and even keep a distance from my wife just in case.

Anyone else doing this? Crazy times right now.

Sounds like you're being prudent. As our state health director has been saying, don't call a doctor or go to the ER for symptoms you wouldn't have given a second thought six months ago. But limiting your activity at this point is reasonable and responsible.

I have allergies and this time of year I am always congested, I never know if I got a cold until it gets real bad. Today I woke up extra congested and a headache so decided to put off brewing. Probably just sinus issues and not a problem or real issue but better to play it safe, especially since there are quite a few known cases not too far from where I live.

I've had a scratchy throat for a few days. Yesterday upper respiratory congestion and slight shortness of breath started. Absolutely nothing serious and at any other time I would go ahead and do the things I normally do.

I find myself making a decision to stay home and even keep a distance from my wife just in case.

Tomorrow marks the end of Week One social distancing for SWMBO and me. It's been fairly easy so far, though we had to cancel a road trip to visit grandkids in Florida, and haven't been over to see the local grandkids either. FaceTime and Marco Polo help, but if this goes on for very long there will be withdrawal pains.

I did venture out two days ago to pick up some essentials at the grocery store. Real eye-opener. Empty shelves, panic buying, an hour in the check out line. At least we should be set for the next two weeks before perishables start running out. On the upside, I've got enough brewing supplies for at least 5 brew sessions.

We figure if one of us has been exposed, we've both been exposed, so we aren't 'separating' in the home. If one of us becomes symptomatic we'll go to 'neutral corners.' We've taken precautions and have avoided risks. Can't do much else other than just stay home.

That said, we've been spending time outdoors doing yardwork to get fresh air and sunshine. After coming inside I found a deer tick walking on the back of my hand. Boy am I gonna' be pissed if I avoid Corona but get Lyme's disease!

Brooo Brother

My wife and I, not wanting to participate in the unmitigated spread of the virus, have confined ourselves to our house for the past 2 weeks. We only go out when strictly necessary and maintain social distance as is expected when we do, hoping to delay our exposure to the virus to a later date when we will not add to the currently overloaded healthcare system. Neither of us personally fear catching the coronavirus, we just don't want to catch it while our healthcare infrastructure is overloaded. My wife and I both weathered the H1N1 flu which was for me a mild cold but for her was a 2.5 week-long debilitating ordeal that really tested her overall health. Although it was 11 years ago I don't feel she has ever fully regained her vigor. She has an autoimmune disorder which makes her more susceptible and my worst fear is her falling ill and needing a ventilator precisely at the time when none are available.

If you have to go out in public, please wash your hands and please, please do what you can to help flatten the curve, FFS.

Lives depend on it.

EDIT: oh yeah, we're both in our early 40's.

I'm into the social distancing thing right now. I made myself a six-foot-long social distance stick which not only gets people's attention, I can use it to fend off admirers.

socialdistancestick.jpg

And good on all of you above for taking this stuff seriously.

The Spousal Unit and I were already in self-isolation starting two Fridays ago as tomorrow we were supposed to fly to an island with essentially zero ability to cope with this virus and didn't want to bring it with us. But...it turned up in Nassau on Monday with no known vector, so it was already freely exchanging on that island, and as we had to overnight there on our way we called the whole thing off.

So, we're heading into Week 3. Upside, having finally followed my wife into retirement we don't have the stressors of dealing with jobs, and being old folks, no kids to wrangle. Downside, statistically we could be in deep sneakers if we pick this bug up, so hunkering down it is...

Cheers!

I'm into the social distancing thing right now. I made myself a six-foot-long social distance stick which not only gets people's attention, I can use it to fend off admirers.

View attachment 671791

And good on all of you above for taking this stuff seriously.

When I was growing up they used to make 10ft versions of those.

What are you talking about?
Dammit sorry man. I see this is your thread and seems serious but posted in Drunken Ramblings. All kidding aside, we are of course taking this seriously as we now have to by governor's decree. This is no joke, no hoax.

The wife and I have hunkered down and have set up home offices to work from. We are both lucky enough to have jobs where we can telecommute so we're thankful for that.

Like passedpawn this is a blessing to me, being an introvert, antisocial, small business (part) owner. Many people are going stir crazy without the social interaction but I'm finding this like a vacation despite staying disciplined and working for (almost) 8 hours a day.

Crazy times we live in. We're keeping our pantry stocked, our guns close, our beer supply full, and watching the news. Oh and enjoying the beautiful weather in Georgia! 80 degrees yesterday and another similar day today.

Cheers everyone. Stay safe, stay healthy, and most of all, stay sane.

We are in a part of NJ with a high infection rate, so the situation is causing much justifiable anxiety and widespread business closures. The streets are incredibly quiet - like New Year's Day every day.

I've been working from home, and my office temporarily closed due to a worker there testing positive. Supposedly they've cleaned and it will re-open next week. I may drop in just for personal sanity. It's a large corporate office, and with only a handful of people there, it'll be easy to remain essentially isolated while still getting out of my house.

Fortunately for me, my 3 main recreational pursuits are all doable during this predicament - guitar playing, running and lifting, and of course homebrewing. The weather is trending warmer, thank goodness, so I'm thrilled to get outside and run or walk.

Unfortunately we have two teenagers whose schools closed, and a 21 year old whose job shut down. They are having a harder time coping, which naturally burdens their parents as well. Dinnertime presents a challenge with all 5 of us home every evening, and we're trying to alternate between cooking and take-out, both for variety and to support our favorite local restaurants which are all at risk.

If I have symptoms like yours I would certainly isolate.
I have tried to Social Distance myself for years but since I work in retail that is very difficult.
Luckily my area has been light on cases. It will get worse. As it does my isolation will increase.

My wife and I, not wanting to participate in the unmitigated spread of the virus, have confined ourselves to our house .........Neither of us personally fear catching the coronavirus, we just don't want to catch it while our healthcare infrastructure is overloaded. My wife and I both weathered the H1N1 flu which was for me a mild cold but for her was a 2.5 week-long debilitating ordeal that really tested her overall health. Although it was 11 years ago I don't feel she has ever fully regained her vigor. She has an autoimmune disorder which makes her more susceptible and my worst fear is her falling ill and needing a ventilator precisely at the time when none are available.

If you have to go out in public, please wash your hands and please, please do what you can to help flatten the curve, FFS.

Lives depend on it.

EDIT: oh yeah, we're both in our early 40's.

Very similar circumstances and fully concur. I don't want to be a 'recipient' of the virus, but especially don't want to be haunted with the guilt of possibly being a vector of infection. We're active and reasonably healthy in our 70s, but my wife was diagnosed with Shogren's disease (mild pre-Lupus) last year, so auto-immune concerns are definitely on our minds.

Isolation is undoubtedly the best way to avoid infection AND limit the spread of the virus. But I think (with the exception of Spring Break millenials) we all realize this will get much worse before it gets better. Time to hunker down and prepare for the long haul.

Brooo Brother

Limited venturing out as my wife has an autoimmune disease. Travel trailer is set up as an isolation ward just in case. Keeping my distance from everyone when out. I think everyone should wear one of these when out.
cd7be530-3024-465f-bb29-0c7935bef6d9_1.9767615201599089827286409de144bc.jpeg

Great idea re: your 'portable isolation chamber'. We put our RV back into storage when it became doubtful we'd be traveling anytime soon. Maybe it's time to park it in the driveway.

Brooo Brother

I haven't been anywhere but work for the last 10 days; at least my gas tank is happy. Husband was supposed to be on vacation this week (he works for a pharmaceutical wholesaler) but with the coronavirus panic around here, all of the pharmacies they serve are ordering huge amounts so he volunteered to go in. My job is in transportation/logistics; rumor has it (through the boss' son-in-law, a.k.a. Blabbermouth) that we might be shutting down on the 1st. I'm salary so I would be okay with working from home, although my emails might get a bit sketchy late in the day! Part of me says hell yes bring on the unplanned vacation, the other part is dreading what will happen when everything goes back to normal.

Good news comes in small doses. Two emails in the in-box, one from Troeg's Brewing and the other from Flying Dog. Apparently with bars and restaurants shuttering UFN, beer deliveries are coming to a screeching halt as well, so Troeg's and "Dog" are conducting drive-by keg pick ups. Order online, drive by the brewery, they load it in your trunk. Go home, wipe down the keg with disinfectant, wait a few minutes, drink beer. Wash, rinse, repeat.

My son ordered a six-barrel of an IPA (can't remember which one) and I'm picking up a six-barrel of Numero Uno lager. I've got a Sanke-to-Cornelius jumper to transfer to homebrew kegs so at least we'll each have partially filled kegerators and won't be running out of beer before I can get some of my own brewed. Not as much fun as going out on a Friday night, but much safer given the current state of affairs.

Stay thirsty, my friends. And Safe. And Healthy.

Brooo Brother

I applaud you Bruce. In my opinion you have done exactly the right thing. And you are in no way alarmist to wonder about your health.

Our son, as it turns out, has mono (freshman college. Go figure). He initially presented with some things that concerned us and so we followed up with his triage nurse and dr's advice. He's on the mend, but we have been in self-imposed isolation since.

To me, it's one of the few things we can do for each other, is figure out how to stay away - in a serious way, not just "social distance away" - from each other.

Too bad Flying Dog (in my experience) doesn't produce anything that you would want a keg of....

Yeah, well....

Doggie Style and Raging ***** are respectable beers, and Numero Uno is probably pick of the litter when it comes to lime-ish light lagers, even if it isn't an "in" style. Troeg's would be my first choice, but it's a 4 hour round trip while 'the Dog' is just 15 minutes down the road.

Drink local, drink independents.

Brooo Brother

I got a sinus thing.
ears are plugged.
no fever or breathing issues.
Dr. says my cough is post nasal drip.

still, i'm work from home and not taking my kids until I'm no longer dizzy from plugged ears, fatigued and oh yeah I stop trying to hack up a lung for 15 mns. every morning.

guess i'll make some beer then use the spent grains to make some bread.
since the kid complain about the smell of boiling wort. :)

Bruce - I think you are doing the right thing - but I would also call the Doc and see if they want you to get swabbed. You might have a drive thru swabbery.

The wife and I just got done Skyping with my youngest son with the ER doc spouse, who related that actual Covid-19 tests are still so scarce that they are now testing for literally everything else first. Only if all of those tests are negative will they allocate a C19 test to that patient.
That's crazy :drunk:

Remember when AIDs first appeared? Stay out of public pools! Stay away from public water fountains! Don't play sports!

Geez...
AIDS is hard to catch. Covid-19 is hard to avoid. AIDS is terrible, but Covid-19 is going to have a greater negative impact on the world than AIDS.

Brew on :mug:

The wife and I just got done Skyping with my youngest son with the ER doc spouse, who related that actual Covid-19 tests are still so scarce that they are now testing for literally everything else first. Only if all of those tests are negative will they allocate a C19 test to that patient.
That's crazy :drunk:

I saw one official ( I forget where) reporting on results of their first drive through test site. He said it was very successful and they processed 600 tests. It’s gonna take a while before we know the extent of infection at that rate.

Back