Anyone put themselves into "self isolation"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My soda kegs now have 3 Pils, 1 Maibock, 1 Helles Export, and 1 Asian pear cider. Another Export is fermenting and the grains are ground for a Marzen.

The waiting is the hardest part. Someone made a song about it.
Tom Petty. Love that tune. Been working on playing it recently. Wishing I could escape from reality and throw myself into practicing, but that's not how my mind works.

Had appliances delivered today for a kitchen remodeling project that may or may not go forward given what is happening around the world. The delivery men wore respirators and gloves, never seen that before. I put on gloves before handling/signing the paperwork. Scary times.

Brew on :mug:

Umm, hate to be a downer, but I hope you are all taking this seriously? You are placed to be the world's most infectious place on the planet soon. You should be staying close to your homes and drinking epic quantities of home-brew.. ..Sorry, but as an infectious disease researcher I had to "keep it real".. ..I'll go back to my antiviral booze now...

And here is my delivery while I wait 3 days more to go out:

View attachment 672646

3 days? that's not even a days worth!! lol

Sorry, really, I do mean it! But many people are not taking this seriously. If we had down votes here, I would endure them.. ..in force.. ..but the message is really, really important. You are in one of the hardest hit centres of the continent, I hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

i already live in the house, and i'm not scared of dying.....

(and don't bring that up!!! lol)

I was on the last day, had gone two days since symptoms resolved and day three starts with a cough, upper respiratory came back and so did sore throat.

I am 98% certain it is nothing more than the spring crud that holds on for awhile but I don't have to be anywhere so at home I stay awhile longer.

Arrgg, maybe I'll watch an Archer marathon today.

My desk right now where I spend my days toiling remotely for distant corporate overlords is crowded with the usual papers, note pads and post-it notes; but since the quarantine began it has slowly become host to a collection of Pringles cans in varying degrees of emptiness, several of them sporting meat-themed flavors, plus no less than 5 coffee mugs, one of which holds emergency shaving gear for impromptu teleconferences, plus other miscellany ranging from plates and bowls, some recently eaten off of, others are design references to a mostly full bag of Dot's pretzels which are seriously addictive, and a small bag of leftover oatmeal holiday cookies that are still just about edible if dunked in coffee, which comes from a compact keurig perched on the corner of my desk. Arching overhead is a vintage 1960's telescoping drafting lamp with both incandescent and fluorescent bulbs, whose combination of color temperatures I find both relaxing and energizing. I also have all my tax papers sitting here waiting for me to have a moment of strength to actually E-file the emm-effers.. In front of me sits a huge cintiq where I earn my living, while scattered about are a handful of beer coasters protecting the large oak desk from wet rings, though my cold bottle of Bohemia cervesa sits on a glass-topped digital scale that I think makes a stellar beer coaster just next to my annoyingly clicky circa 2000 Dell keyboard. I'm pretty well set until I knock off around 8pm, at which time I will fire up steam and pray that someone else has the weird urge to play a round of Day of Defeat while my wife watches her shows on the bed behind me.

Any DOD players out there? Even in an empty arena I can't capture a flag without a teammate.

Last edited:
Day 12. Cold is abating again. This is getting old. It's almost impossible to keep the recommended distance from my wife. I'm convinced this is just a crud that wants to hang on. No fever, no diarrhea. No social contact, no visits to the store, no eating out (can't do that anyway), no doctor unless I have a fever or am coughing up blood.

In the past something like this that hung on this long would usually get a z pack and clear up. Even if I could see my doctor I don't think I'd want to go near a clinic right now.

Perhaps I'll irritate the wife a little and play The Doors second album, Strange Days. It's fitting. Maybe get back on duolingo and refresh/learn some more German.

My wife and I are both over 60. We're not going anywhere and having groceries delivered.
Watching "Justified" and playing cribbage.
If there's anything positive in this mess, it's that we're slowing down and enjoying what's important.
I love cribbage

Day 12. Cold is abating again. This is getting old. It's almost impossible to keep the recommended distance from my wife. I'm convinced this is just a crud that wants to hang on. No fever, no diarrhea. No social contact, no visits to the store, no eating out (can't do that anyway), no doctor unless I have a fever or am coughing up blood.

In the past something like this that hung on this long would usually get a z pack and clear up. Even if I could see my doctor I don't think I'd want to go near a clinic right now.

Perhaps I'll irritate the wife a little and play The Doors second album, Strange Days. It's fitting. Maybe get back on duolingo and refresh/learn some more German.
My plugged head turned into a sinus infection about a week ago, I put off contacting the doctor but finally gave in. With nobody wanting to get face to face they created an online survey for a bunch of stuff. A few question and couple emails they sent me a prescription for antibiotics. No Z-pack but that is OK as they don't usually work for me. 10day of no beer now, but hopefully my green crap with be gone soon.

The normally over crowded pharmacy which had me dragging my feet most was a pleasant trip even. Hardly anyone there, plenty of parking and well placed lines inside to steer the cattle.

My plugged head turned into a sinus infection about a week ago, I put off contacting the doctor but finally gave in. With nobody wanting to get face to face they created an online survey for a bunch of stuff. A few question and couple emails they sent me a prescription for antibiotics. No Z-pack but that is OK as they don't usually work for me. 10day of no beer now, but hopefully my green crap with be gone soon.

The normally over crowded pharmacy which had me dragging my feet most was a pleasant trip even. Hardly anyone there, plenty of parking and well placed lines inside to steer the cattle.

The green stuff is the easiest for an Rx. It's always bacterial and always gets better with antibiotics. Congrats! LOL!

upload_2020-4-1_11-45-15.png

Finally done! Three days since any symptoms. Driving out of the neighborhood I noticed a sign in a yard that said "We are in quarantine, have a nice day". A nice friendly warning to stay away for now.

Good news Bruce!
I'm not embarrassed to say, if I got sick right now (corona or not) I would be scared sh!tless…….

Why wait? Being 70-ish, I'm halfway there already.

Seriously, this morning for some effin' reason the wife decided to test our oral thermometer - which is at least as old as our oldest son (so, 40-something anyway). So I woke up, stumbled along towards the kitchen - and caught a glimpse of her in her living room chair with her tablet on her lap and the thermometer in her mouth.

I'll be honest, my first reaction was: "Yikes! I'm gonna head for our house up in the White Mountains and call her when I get there!"
Not proud of that, but after weeks of being wound up, there we are.

I'm rigging up my truck to do some flyfishing, if only to get away from...everything...for awhile...

Cheers!

Why wait? Being 70-ish, I'm halfway there already.

Seriously, this morning for some effin' reason the wife decided to test our oral thermometer - which is at least as old as our oldest son (so, 40-something anyway). So I woke up, stumbled along towards the kitchen - and caught a glimpse of her in her living room chair with her tablet on her lap and the thermometer in her mouth.

I'll be honest, my first reaction was: "Yikes! I'm gonna head for our house up in the White Mountains and call her when I get there!"
Not proud of that, but after weeks of being wound up, there we are.

I'm rigging up my truck to do some flyfishing, if only to get away from...everything...for awhile...

Cheers!

That's the kind of isolation that sounds good. A few days away in a camper, tent, or cabin. Nobody around, lots of nature, and fishing!

We snowbird every winter in a motorhome. When the virus issue hit, we hightailed it back home due to uncertainty with lockdowns and travel restrictions. Goodluck with the escape. Private campgrounds and most state and federal campgrounds are now closed.

We built the house back in the early '80s, and there are tons of streams and ponds in the Whites.
The only issue would be road blocks at the border :)
'Course, with a state motto "Live Free Or Die" that'd be an ironic call on their part...

Cheers!

Trust me, the Spousal Unit and I would have been blurs on our way up north - at least once we realized the island trip wasn't happening last week.

But...the O'Henry twist to the story: my mother - 96 years old as of last December - is about 20% mobile at this point, yet refuses to leave her home. So, me, my wife, and my sister rotate on assistance duties through the week (my BIL wants nothing to do with it. Can't blame him).

Hence we're pretty much anchored here...

Cheers! (Irony. It's everywhere.)

God damn I wish we had a summer home or a cottage on a lake, anywhere to get away from society till this blows over. I'm beginning to feel trapped in this house but I don't dare go out because half the yahoos I see outside aren't wearing masks or gloves.

I'm on week three of isolation. Not sick and don't want to be. I have enough health issues that I feel this one could bad. There were so many people just out and about that I retreated to the farm. I've brewed enough to fill all my kegs. Converted to rest of my kegs to top draw. Fixed the mower again.

I took 2 weeks of sick time my company offered. I did a bunch of organizing in the garage including building custom shelving. And some gardening. Back at work now and busier than ever!!!

I took 2 weeks of sick time my company offered. I did a bunch of organizing in the garage including building custom shelving. And some gardening. Back at work now and busier than ever!!!
Super busy here too, our factories stateside might still be shut down for the time being but our Chinese vendors are back online and chomping at the bit to get to work.

The wife has been working from home. She keeps finding projects for me to do. Not neccessary projects, she's just thinking of stuff for me to do. I've been retreating to the brew shed, at least I can work on 'important' stuff.

Except for 3 days, I’ve been working at home since March 2. My last day in the office was March 12.

With the new list of symptoms put out this week (sore throat, headache, chills, muscle pain), the person I was worried I was at risk of catching the lurgy from at a March 12 meeting might have actually caught it from me.

I’m hoping to get back in the office next week or the week after. I have a couple meetings coming up that can’t be done remotely.

Our facility has been operating with mandatory masks & temperature screening for a couple weeks. So, that should be fun.

Not sure that list of symptoms is actually new or novel, they're actually classic flu-type symptoms. Loss of smell/taste has recently been added by the CDC to those things to watch for, and I believe the loss of sensation at extremities may be added soon as well.

Given any opportunity to do so, I would opt to maintain isolation for some time longer. Personally, having been on "lock-down" since March 6, I'd be pissed if I caught the damned virus now, with no clear viable therapy available.

Stay safe out there...

Cheers!

What I had was weird and definitely not flu. Some days I’d be 90% normal with a mild headache and sore throat but still feeling good enough to run on an elliptical for 30 minutes. Other days I’d be laid up on the sofa with a bag of cough drops and a headache with double vision. No medications would alleviate any of the symptoms no matter how mild or severe they were.

Either I had an asymptomatic case of it or all my chronic ailments hit me all at once, all worse than normal, and all longer than normal. I won’t know for sure unless I catch it with more typical symptoms or I take a reliable antibody test.

I’m still wearing an N95 sports mask when I go out. I bought it a while ago for cycling when the air is bad. I never thought I’d using it for grocery shopping.

I’m still planning to work at home as much as possible. But my two meetings are for are directing a construction survey and babysitting a fish count survey. I can’t do either from my living room.

I’ve been back at work 3 days over the last two weeks and the one thing I’ve realized is neckerchief-ascots are a good look for me. I may have to make this a permanent part of my work wardrobe.

Back