Anyone miss brewing outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. But, consider where I live, and you wouldn't either! :D

Actually, there was one day this summer where I almost pulled the rig out (I have an exterior door in the laundry room where I brew) because it was such a nice day. But I really didn't want to deal with bees or hornets, or flies, and ended that idea before it really began.

If I had a brewday here, I"d just pull it out the door so we could be outside but that's probably the only time I'd want to.

Sometimes I would enjoy brewing outside. Given that I live on the 14th floor, and I can't brew on my balcony, I'm 100% indoors. Except for when I brew outside on someone else's gear at their place, which is always a refreshing change.

Nope. I brewed outdoors while the new basement/brewery was being worked on and it was 5 times as much work as things were scattered around.

Didn't like all the flies either. Not a big deal when mashing/boiling, but when chilling they really seem to like that sweet wort and the last thing I need is flies in my wort.

Then there's the freezing weather for 6-8 months of the year too which is no fun. (It was -4F last night).

Kal

I can tolerate yellow jackets and white faced hornets. I really loath those damn nasty blow flies. You don't want them around brew at all.

I don't brew electric, but I miss brewing outside sometimes in the spring and fall. If I ever move to a place with an attached garage, I might brew outside again; at least boil.

No, I really don't. It might be a different story if I didn't have to haul all of my brewing stuff up from the basement to brew outside and then back down again.

When I lived in San Diego I would brew propane in the garage and loved it. Now that I'm in Maryland, I brew in the basement and love it. I'm brewing, so I'm happy... but I do miss lounging around on lawn chairs in the driveway drinking beers and chatting with the neighbors. I had a beer flag that I'd fly when we were brewing and the neighbors would see it and come over to hang out - now it's just me and the dogs running around in the basement.

-Kevin

i typically brew in the kitchen on the stove, but as i'm moving up in batch size and towards all grain, i'm going to have to move to the porch with a propane burner... my rental can't handle an electric setup

I brew almost exclusively in my garage year round. The only thing I don't like about it is when I forget to bring the garden hose inside to thaw before brewing starts. Trying to chill wort with an icy hose is no fun.

I'm thinking about running a Line out to my back yard patio so I can brew outside on Summer nights. For the most part I brew with the garage door open so I guess that's technically outside. I just installed ventilation so I can feel more like all you cold climate folks and brew with the garage door shut.

I brew exclusively outside and always have. I would love to brew inside. The main reasons are the ability to have a space organized. It takes a lot of time to put the rig up and put it away. The weather doesn't get me, but the constant set-up just sucks. I'm about to be inside and I doubt I will ever miss the outside.

Nah... it's 70 and crazy humid in LA (Lower Alabama for the uninitiated:)). Brewing inside is looking pretty good right about now!

i still brew outside. all my equipment is off the deck in the storage shed (i wish i had a dedicated area :( ) so it's usually easier just to haul it up on the deck (note the 50' yellow extension cords)
IMG_20131004_131528_zpsf6696847.jpg

If i'm brewing indoors, you can kinda see it setup by the window, i just usually set a fan in the window (note, the baby was only crying for like 10 seconds, my wife is in the kitchen making him a bottle, i just thought it was funny, 'cuz it went from 0=happy baby to 11=he felt like he was going to die in a matter of 10-15 seconds)

IMG_20131201_161330_zps48c29e1f.jpg

I'm planning a brew for New Year's Day. I'm going to mash in the kitchen, haul it out to the garage for the boil, and stick it in my ferm chamber to no-chill cool for pitching.

I have 2 1500 W heat sticks so I can brew inside when the weather sucks; you know, like below 32° F. But, I really enjoy brewing outside when the weather is nice. So I doubt that I will ever mount any elements in my BK.

I cant answer as to the fact I am building my system, but LOL brewing in the snow is something I can definately live without, seems like the Michigan winter has not let up much this year. (and I am in lower MI) i couldnt even imagine what a UP brewer goes through

Latest posts

Back