Anyone into Boating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
I've been around boats all my life, but legitimately got into boating a few years ago.

Here's the current equipment:

Left is a 2004 SeaDoo GTX Limited, Right is a 2007 GTX Limited.
jeep.jpg

2005 Bryant 190 in Mango Orange. I've got a picture somewhere that I need to upload, will do that shortly. We purchased with .1 hours on it and it currently has 235+hours. I love the damn boat.

What about anyone else? I'm sure some people are into boats on here...

I've got enough black holes to shovel my money into, thanks ;) Beer, R/C helicopters, antique British convertibles, rock climbing, mountain biking, road biking, woodworking, blacksmithing...I think buying a boat == divorce :D

My grandfather was a boater so I've been on them all my life, but never had the desire to own them.

-Joe

I've got enough black holes to shovel my money into, thanks ;) Beer, R/C helicopters, antique British convertibles, rock climbing, mountain biking, road biking, woodworking, blacksmithing...I think buying a boat == divorce :D

My grandfather was a boater so I've been on them all my life, but never had the desire to own them.

-Joe
I don't really think she'd notice at this point! :D

We lived on a lake the summer after graduation and I was planning buying wave runners the next spring, but we ended up buying a house 30 minutes from the lake, so I bought a dirtbike instead. I do love boating though. Wave runners and skiing primarily.

yup, I've got a 24' Pontoon boat and an Kawasaki 1100STX 3 seater. Lots of fun. Lots of money.

my only use for a boat is fishing anymore. i did have a deck boat that we skiied and kneeboarded on but thats been gone for 10yrs now.

a friend has a 20ft bayliner(03-04?) that we use occasionaly, but he lost his truck when our plant slowed down this year so haven't been out yet this summer.

Used to be. Bought a red Stingray 222 in '89, with a 330HP 454/Bravo outdrive. 67mph stock. After a few years I added a hot cam, Edelbrock intake, and MSD distributor and Rev-Limiter. Ran 70mph, with about 350HP, with a 23p prop.

Ran it til it smoked and ran it some more. After 16 years I dropped a valve onto a piston by letting a spring go bad.

Stuck in a new 502 Mercruiser longblock that was spec'd ('blueprinted') by an engine builder, and he swapped in a custom hydraulic roller cam that I had a guy make, Canfield 310cc alum heads with a hard anodize to prevent corrosion, a Brodix intake with a Barry Grant marine carb., and CMI headers.

Dyno'd by another builder at 580HP@ 5700 RPM's/573ft/lbs TQ@ 5000 RPM's . Estimated speed in mid 90's with a 27p prop.
3000 pounds/580HP=5.17 pounds per HP.

This boat is now 20 years old and looks like maybe 2 years old.

Hasn't been in the water since, yet, due to economic strife.:(

Pictures4105.jpg

Pictures4083a.jpg

Pictures4155a.jpg

Mod edit.
Please resize picture.
Orfy.

Jan2006010b.jpg

I am into boating, I love watching them go by.

Actually I do have 2 rowboats, one 12' and one 14' but I don't call that being a boater.

I'm a strong believer in having friends that are into boating, specifically, sailboats.

I went down the shore once to stay at a friends place and this girl came over, she was pretty hot looking and had a big dog with her. My friend said to check out her boat so we went out to look and it was a race boat. A race boat like nothing I ever saw before. It was small but had what I remember to be an exposed V8 engine with open headers all polished. It was a long time ago but that is what I remember and it was some wild looking thing, I doubt I would even get on that thing. Must have gone wildly fast and she must have been one wild chick. Unfortunately she showed little interest in me so I didn't pursue anything but would have gone for it if I could.

What about anyone else? I'm sure some people are into boats on here...

Key West
22' Center Console
250 Hp
Me likey very much
Does that mean we can wave at each other as we pass in the forums? ;)

I pretty much follow Dave 42's mantra - lots of friends with nice boats. I've pretty much grown up on the water. I started taking sailing lessons when I was 9, and started teaching when I was 13.

Because of my two kids, all we have right now is a nice canoe, but that will hopefully change in the future. Living here in RI having at least some kind of boat in your yard is pretty much mandatory.

For now, the good friends with good boats works for me. All I need to do is bring the beer.

If my post Navy retirement plans come to fruition, I will be living in Eastern WA or Northern ID within driving distance of Lake Roosevelt, Couer d' Alene Lake, and Lake PendOreille just to name a few. I fully plan on having a nice boat to tow behind the Jeep then.

P1010383.JPG

2003 Ranger Ghost... I do a LOT of bass fishing, and have recently started making a name for myself within the tournament community. My boat is for play, not tournys...

That said, yes I'm into boating... Right now I'm trying to find an old bass boat to restore in my spare time...

I had a 27' Oday. Great boat, absolutely loved it. Quick under sail, and comfortable. Got tired of the "committment" of every weekend going to the boat. Also, with a boat that size, it was about 4k per yr for launch, slip(summer)extended season $5 per ft per wk, haul, block and winter storage.

Looking for a 17-23 trailerable Center Console for fishing,crabbing, rafting, etc.

Key West
22' Center Console
250 Hp
Me likey very much
Does that mean we can wave at each other as we pass in the forums? ;)
Nice! I'm pushing my dad to look into the 26' range for his toy... We're going to get him on a Bryant 268 with the 496HO or the 502... It'll be fun borrowing :D I always wave on the boat too!

Joe, I dont believe that you have a boat. Prove it with some pics of swmbo on it. ???:mug:
Hahahaha, I'll work on it.

P1010383.JPG

2003 Ranger Ghost... I do a LOT of bass fishing, and have recently started making a name for myself within the tournament community. My boat is for play, not tournys...

That said, yes I'm into boating... Right now I'm trying to find an old bass boat to restore in my spare time...
Sweeet! Ever bring it up to NH? It's always interesting to find out that people are on Winnipesaukee (especially boats I see a lot) and might find them elsewhere.

We seem to have a different way here.

Can you imagine getting on with 8 friends at 12:00 on a Sunday sailing 2 hours to the pub for a Sunday roast beef lunch and a couple of beers. Letting some on else sail back so you can concentrate on the beers.

By orfy

Had it for a few years and got rid due to lack of time. It's quicker walking to the pub. :)

1975 Chrysler courier with a 90Hp Chrysler outboard.
I live on the Fox river and we have are own dock and launch.
If i had to drive it around and pay to launch and store i would not have a boat.

Hasn't been in the water since, yet, due to economic strife.:(

Meaning, it's cost an even hundred in fuel just to glide out off the dock. And a mortgage to actually power across the lake.

Boats are about as much fun as are Nitro R/C's. A blast for a while til something needs fixed and then it's a fortune to get running again.

I had a 1977' Phantom Runabout with a 75hp Johnson outboard. Looked liked it had been runabout too many times. Dumped it on a boat yard for some folding cash just to get rid of it. It was just costing me money to store and repair.

I do hit up Winni now and then, but that boat hasn't been out there yet... I've done two bass tournys on Winni this year so far. I'm re-powering the ranger with a 2008 Yamaha, so its gonna be outta commission for at least a week...

Meaning, it's cost an even hundred in fuel just to glide out off the dock. And a mortgage to actually power across the lake.

Boats are about as much fun as are Nitro R/C's. A blast for a while til something needs fixed and then it's a fortune to get running again.

I had a 1977' Phantom Runabout with a 75hp Johnson outboard. Looked liked it had been runabout too many times. Dumped it on a boat yard for some folding cash just to get rid of it. It was just costing me money to store and repair.

It's not that bad. 42 gallon tank, good for the weekend and then some. But insurance, and traveling and eating out and staying at the lake and all that have made it less desirable while times are tight.

Thing is, with a 20x40 inground 6 paces out the back door and my own beer on tap, fighting the traffic, waiting to drop in at the launch, and all the cleaning, and prep work don't compare to walking in my backyard, listening to the stereo from the poolhouse , gazing out at the woods, and wading around with a beer in my hand in the pool. I don't miss driving up north on a Friday night fighting traffic and keeping my eye peeled for cops.

After 16 years of boating nearly every weekend, this is a sabbatical.

I'll use it again.;)

Back