Anyone here taken a crack at cloning Hop Venom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say that the original recipe is much better than the new IMHO. But the original was a 10% beer that drank like a 6%. But the new recipe is still an amazing beer. I better seek cover before I get flogged for saying this, but I think Hop Venom makes Pliney taste like MGD.

That said, I converted this recipe to a 10% version and scaled to 11. I will be shopping for ingredients to brew this weekend. We shall see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I better seek cover before I get flogged for saying this, but I think Hop Venom makes Pliney taste like MGD.

I agree 100%..Pliny is damn good but so over hyped its unreal. Hop Venom blows Pliny out of the water...

I will say that the original recipe is much better than the new IMHO. But the original was a 10% beer that drank like a 6%. But the new recipe is still an amazing beer. I better seek cover before I get flogged for saying this, but I think Hop Venom makes Pliney taste like MGD.

That said, I converted this recipe to a 10% version and scaled to 11. I will be shopping for ingredients to brew this weekend. We shall see how it turns out.

how did it brew? did you get your og up to 1.100+? i saw on the recipe that you linked that it has hops added during the first wort. does that mean hops added post mash after you sparge and are heating or are they added to the mash in the mtl?

how did it brew? did you get your og up to 1.100+? i saw on the recipe that you linked that it has hops added during the first wort. does that mean hops added post mash after you sparge and are heating or are they added to the mash in the mtl?

It went well. I maxed out capacity on my setup which effected efficiency. I was under preboil OG, but adding 15 minutes to boil actually made me hit 1.115. Beer is dry hopping now, but tastes spot on. The First Wort hops means you put the hops into the boil kettle during lautering so that the wort flows on top of them. Supposed to offer a less harsh and more rounded hop bittering. One thing to compensate for on this is to account for whole hop wort absorption. I probably lost around a gallon total just in that. My recipe will be tweaked to 10 gallons vs 11. My equipment will not get 11 gallons of 10% wort without adding extract. I can't imagine somebody trying to do this quantity by batch sparging.

Here is the updated recipe. I just tapped this and it tastes exactly like the original hop venom. Anyways, here goes:

Scaled Hop venom

Style: Imperial IPAOG: 1.116
Type:FG: 1.036
Rating: 0.0ABV: 10.48 %
Calories: 382IBU's: 125.39
Efficiency: 83 %Boil Size: 11.09 Gal
Color: 10.8 SRM Batch Size: 10.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.101Boil Time: 90 minutes

Fermentation Steps
NameDays / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
AmountPercentageNameTimeGravity
17.00 lbs 43.00 %Pale Malt (2 Row) US60 mins1.036
17.00 lbs 43.00 %Crisp Maris Otter60 mins1.038
16.00 ozs 2.53 %Aromatic Malt60 mins1.036
16.00 ozs 2.53 %Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L60 mins1.035
16.00 ozs 2.53 %Victory Malt60 mins1.034
16.00 ozs 2.53 %Wheat, Torrified60 mins1.036
8.50 ozs 1.34 %Briess Carapils60 mins1.034
1.00 lbs 2.53 %Extra Light Dry Extract60 mins1.044

Hops
AmountIBU'sNameTimeAA %
2.00 ozs Nugget mash hop
2.30 ozs Amarillo GoldFirst Wort
1.00 ozs Simcoe First Wort
1.00 ozs CentennialFirst Wort
2.22 ozs Columbus (Tomahawk) 60 mins
2.22 ozs Magnum 60 mins
1.00 ozs Columbus (Tomahawk) 5 mins
1.00 ozs Simcoe 5 mins
2.00 ozs Amarillo Gold 0 min
2.00 ozs Centennial0 min
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold dry hop secondary
1.00 ozs Columbus (Tomahawk) dry hop secondary
1.00 ozs Centennial dry hop secondary
1.00 ozs Columbus (Tomahawk)keg hop
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold keg hop

Yeasts
AmountNameLaboratory / ID
2.00 pkgLondon ESB AleWyeast Labs 1968

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
Sacch' Rest60 min @ 152.0 F

Forgive me for the ****ty formatting. Too much info for the line. Hopefully this helps.

Back