Anyone here know much about homemade liqueur? Got a potential problem with my latest batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axoloth

Reaction score
So about every other year I make this apple-ginger liqueur from scratch. Basically what I do is grate a bunch of apples, let the blob of apple drip away it's juice in a bowl, then mix it with vodka, syrup, and some grated ginger in a jar.

I let the jar sit for a month before I strain the concoction into bottles and let it stay there at least a year.

Now we come to my problem. As you can see in this picture of my batch from fall of '18, there's quite a bit of sediment, at least more than I'm used to, and I am having a lot of doubt as to whether I remembered to strain it when I bottled the mix. My question then becomes this; is this safe for consumption? If i forgot to strain it, will this sediment have been rotting and made it dangerous? Should I just strain it all now and hope for the best. Or maybe just shake it up and mix it together, because the sediment mixes quite well when I shake it, turns it all cloudy.

For the record, the ratio was 35% 120 proof vodka, 15% light syrup, 50% apple juice, and a teaspoon or two of freshly grated ginger.

Granted the following advice is coming from a dude on the internet but I'm pretty positive it's safe to drink. Considering everything you added to the vodka was edible and digestible by humans I don't think it's going to hurt anything.

The only way to tell if it's bad is to smell it and try it. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if the sediment in there is rotting. If if smells bad toss it...if it smells good taste it...if it tastes good I would strain it and rebottle just to be safe.

Yep, at that alcohol percentage it should be safe to drink. Please post back here at midday on the 12th August. If you don't, we'll know it wasn't safe to drink!

as long as the organic matter wasn't exposed to oxygen for an extended period of time that would allow it to begin to mold or putrefy, it is safe.

keeping everything submerged is important when making liqueurs

Back