Anyone have some experience using White Labs Mexican Lager Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I am brewing a vienna Amber lager (Modela Negro Clone) and using the WPL940 lager strain.

This is my first go around with a lager yeast.

I have a temperature controlled fermentation chanber so I can dial in whatever temp I want and hold it.

WLP's site says 50-55 degrees....

Any recommendations?

1. Is there a benefit to going on the low side 50 degrees or the high side 55. or stick it inthe middle?

2. Do I need to raise the temp after a while for a Diacetyl rest?

I'm thinking of doing my starter and getting the wort down to 55ish degrees before putting in fermenter.

Then ferment at 52 ish degrees untill major activity stops. (2.5 weeks maybe?)

Once Primary fermentation activity is done bump the temp to 60 for a diacetyl rest for 48 hours.

Rack to secondary conditioner and take it back down to 52 degrees for another 3 weeks.

Keg and carb....

Thoughts? Changes? Reccomendations?

Stick to the low end and your going to be just fine. This yeast is killer!! I would do a diacetyl rest myself (and did) Why not? IMHO it's not gonna hurt anything, the fermentation character is already done..Right? So do the rest and make sure they can clean up the mess. I used this yeast a few years ago and LOVED it!
Cheers
Jay

I'd stay on the low end for your 2 weeks, raise to 60 for 4-5 days, rack and then lager at 40 for a month (or more).

Back