Anyone ever use Ricola Throat drops in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
After a recent bout with a cold, I was noticing how Ricola throat drops resembled Dark candi sugar in appearance only. I enjoy the herbal taste of the drops and was curious if anyone has ever tried adding them to beer. They would be way more noticeable than candi sugar and a much smaller quantity would be needed. The only questionable ingredient that I could see labeled is Starch syrup. I'm not sure how this would affect fermentation. Any ideas?

If you wanna ruin a batch, go for it:D

Otherwise do a test one first and scale up.

In case you don't believe me...I'll give you three words, Chocolate peppermint Stout, worst idea thought up since peppermint schapps.

Plenty of herbal flavors work in beer, I could see this being OK. Hard to say how much to add though.

"starch syrup" eh? If there actually is starch in there you could dissolve them in your strike water and mash them. For the amount you'd want to add I doubt the starch contribution would be an issue, but you never know.

We just had a homebrew club meeting last week and one of the members made a beer that had 3 lbs of dum-dum lollipops in it. He called it electric lightning lollipop.
It... was.... different..

Not bad, just unusual and very powerful in flavor. Not only sweet but tart as well.

Menthol eucalyptus flavor doesn't belong in beer, IMO.

I am still waiting for someone to prove me wrong by brewing some fabulous beer with it, though. You could be the one!

Back