Anyone ever use one of these as a fermenting chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grond

Reaction score
I can pick one of these up for CHEAP. It's 30" deep with a 21" inside diameter...which is a perfect fit for a 6-gallon carboy. What think you all?
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

It's bigger than it looks, you'll need to make a themed hat for it?
I actually did make a “hat” for it. I had a half sheet of 2” thick styrofoam in my attic (don’t ask) and cut 4 circles out of it to raise the top so everything fits inside. The only thing I think I’m going to change is the carboy. I usually use all glass (because that’s all I have) but I think I’m going to pick up a fermonster so the wort temp can drop quicker and will be easier to control the temp.

I have one of these refrigerators, mine has monster energy drink graphics, it works really well. I think I paid about $50 for it on letgo. I use 6 and 7 gallon fermonsters and a piece of foam board with a hole cutout in the center as a lid. I've had condensation buildup so I added a rechargeable dehidifier and that solved the problem. I place a jar upside down over the hole to reduce moist air entering and that even allows me to monitor the airlock without opening the lid.

The only downside of these is lifting the fermenter high enough to get it in and out. So far I haven't pulled anything but it's a workout for sure. A step stool would come in real handy.

I have one of these refrigerators, mine has monster energy drink graphics, it works really well. I think I paid about $50 for it on letgo. I use 6 and 7 gallon fermonsters and a piece of foam board with a hole cutout in the center as a lid. I've had condensation buildup so I added a rechargeable dehidifier and that solved the problem. I place a jar upside down over the hole to reduce moist air entering and that even allows me to monitor the airlock without opening the lid.

The only downside of these is lifting the fermenter high enough to get it in and out. So far I haven't pulled anything but it's a workout for sure. A step stool would come in real handy.
A jar…🤦🏻‍♂️
sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest ones to think of.
Do you happen to have a link to that rechargeable dehumidifier? That’s pretty interesting.

A jar…🤦🏻‍♂️
sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest ones to think of.
Do you happen to have a link to that rechargeable dehumidifier? That’s pretty interesting.
This. One of the best things I've ever bought on Amazon. Hint: when you need to plug it in to recharge the absorbent crystals, use an extension cord and lay the unit on a wire rack, etc so it gets good airflow. It gets hot during recharge.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_SFAB5E48T0B2KBD7SPT9

I had one that I got for free. I was gonna do the same thing. Ended up selling it for $100 and found an upright freezer instead.

Back