Anyone ever made inverted sugar and used it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratm4484

Reaction score
I read online that inverted sugar is a combination of glucose and fructose. Either of these two ingrediants is ideal for fermentation with an extract as far as I know. It ferments faster than regular sugar (sucrose) that you buy at the store (because the bonds don't have to be broken down from sucrose into glucose and fructose for the yeast to eat). Inverted sugar can be used as a substitute for corn sugar I heard, because they are the same thing i think. I made inverted sugar by combining 1/10 of a tablespoon of cream of tartar to my 3 cups of sugar with some water and then boil. Has anyone made this and will it make a difference in the fermentation time?

I use it all the time. It does ferment a bit more quickly than sucrose probably, but it definitely ferments more completely and with a cleaner flavor.

Cheers :D

Oh, and do a search...I have a couple threads on here about it. I use a method where you heat it to 300 degrees...much higher than boiling. That's how I read to do it and it works for me. I usually take 2 pounds of sucrose, just enough water to wet it a little, a quarter tsp of citric acid and cook it until it's clear and 300 degrees F or so. Works like a champ and is very easy. I usually just prepare it once I get my boil stable. It's much easier to use as a liquid.

Cheers :D

If I remember correctly Golden Syrup (usually made by 'Lyles') is liquid invert sugar, although someone may correct me on that. I don't know if it's available in the US; all the supermarkets here and in the UK stock it.

I bought some Lyle's Golden Syrup at Whole Foods on the recommendation of my local homebrew shop. The jars they sell were on the small side, but not all that expensive as I recall.

Back