Anyone ever freeze a beer before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger_tucker

Reaction score
I had some flooding in my basement today, quite a bit actually. After the clean up I went to check the beer. Evidently my temperature controller shorted out in the water and my freezer chest was doing was freezer chests are supposed to do. The inside temp was about 1 degree Fahrenheit. The beer was actually not frozen. I took out the blow off tube and it's still liquid. It's a wheat beer pitched with 1056 American Ale. It's been fermenting about 3 days. Any ideas as to whether the yeast will recover?

I should add I always cold crash the primary and get it near freezing. I harvest the yeast at the bottom and reuse. So your yeast will be fine.

I made the mistake of lowering the analog temperature setting on my chest freezer kegerator while not wearing my glasses and froze 6 cornies full of beer. I removed them and let them sit out for a day or two until they thawed. They were fine.

I made the mistake of lowering the analog temperature setting on my chest freezer kegerator while not wearing my glasses and froze 6 cornies full of beer. I removed them and let them sit out for a day or two until they thawed. They were fine.

I can't believe that didn't totally destroy the kegs.

I can't believe that didn't totally destroy the kegs.

I froze a keg once as well. I turned my freezer alllll the way down (almost off) in order to get a keg cold enough to start carbing. Then of course I forgot about it overnight. Took about 2 hours to thaw but the beer (and the keg) were fine.

Back