Anyone ever "Dry-Spice" after fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaglerBC

Reaction score
I split a 10 gallon batch, one with WPL 800 (Pilsner ferment at 49) and the other with WPL 566 (Saison II ferm at 80). I just finished a keg of saison and was thinking about changing this one up a bit. Normally I would have added coriander, orange peel and/or pepper with about 5-10 min left, but since I was making the Pilsner I left it out.

Has anyone had experience with dry-spicing a beer after fermentation has completed?

The pumpkin beer I just finished up (Thunderstruck) had me dropping the spice in during the "clearing" stage. I taste tested my gravity sample on the way into the keg and ALL the spice aroma made it in as well as some of the flavor. This may change after being in the keg/bottle for awhile but I was really quite surprised at the level of aroma/flavor since I put the spice in at 35°F and only for a couple days.

@brewkinger Everything counts. My only experience with spices is chamomile in kolsch (which I didn't care for) and coffee/vanilla/chocolate in stout. How did the coriander come out?

@EtchyLives what did you drop in? How long? How much?

The fresh zest from a single navel orange in 5 gal of Centennial Blonde.
Delicious.

Coriander dry spice was a slightly more difficult proposition.
I tried about 1 tsp in another batch with orange zest and the aroma was present but flavor was not on point.
The twist was that as the flavor mellowed and got better, the aroma diminished.
Next batch was zest and 1/2 tsp and it was absolutely delicious after 2 wks in bottle (5 wks post brew)

@brewkinger Everything counts. My only experience with spices is chamomile in kolsch (which I didn't care for) and coffee/vanilla/chocolate in stout. How did the coriander come out?

@EtchyLives what did you drop in? How long? How much?

Sorry for the late response:
1/2 tsp of Pumpkin spice mixed up in ~1cup of hot water. I let it cool down a bit and then dumped it into the carboy.

Ive added into the fermentor:
chai tea / vodka extract (~2oz chai tea)
cinnamon sticks (3 at flameout, 2 in fermentor)
lemon ( 2 whole lemons at flameout, 1 in fermentor)
navel oranges (2 whole at flameout, 2 in fermentor)
black pepper (5g flameout, 3g fermentor)
pumpkin pie spice (1tsp at flameout, 1/2tsp in fermentor)
coffee beans (whole, 4oz like a dry hop)
ancho chilies (sliced down the middle, 3 of them)
cucumbers (2 large, sliced)
mint (2 whole sprigs)

oh and I never experienced head retention issues with citrus peels

Back