Anyone entering NHC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackFurnaceBrewing

Reaction score
Anyone planning on entering the National Homebrew Competition in a few weeks?

I would love to enter my raspberry wheat and my Kolsch. Unfortunately, I am not on my "A game" as of late. A serious brewery upgrade has advanced my capabilities technically, but set back my brew quality as I work out bugs and new processes.

Good luck to those of you who decide to jump in . If you are, please share what you are considering entering.

I am thinking about entering a pale ale. I've brewed it a few times and I really think it's good.

But hey, I entered a Munich Helles last year in NHC that won 2nd in a local competition (37 points), and totally got gooned. Scored a 20. Both judges were provisionary and said it had acetalydehyde. I question whether it was really my beer or not.

Maybe it isn't worth my time. I haven't totally made up my mind.

Having tasted a few winners the past 2 years, I'm not going to bother. I am fairly certain I'm not quite up to that level of expertise and artistry.

Having tasted a few winners the past 2 years, I'm not going to bother. I am fairly certain I'm not quite up to that level of expertise and artistry.

I know what you mean. I certainly would not have designs on winning, but thought the journey might be worthwhile.

I've got a single hop APA that's been in the keg for a week that I'm waiting to evaluate. If it turns out to be great, I may enter that one.

I had the complete opposite experience. Like I said, both judges were provisionary, with no BJCP certification. And their comments reflected that. Basically they said it was bad and gave no feedback whatsoever. I have received higher quality judging and comments in small local competitions. I can't recall my shipping location last year, but they obviously were short on people. :(

NHC really is not a particularly good competition if you are primarily seeking "feedback." There are over 10 regionals, and thousands of entries. They have switched to using more a "checklist" judging format to streamline the process. The NHC is more about making sure the best beers make the Mini BOS in each category and from there, the top 3 advance to the finals. I think (sometimes) the more experienced judges are involved in the mini BOS and getting the top beers into the top 3 places. Personally, I think competitions can be a great way to garner feedback. However, I think NHC is basically about "winning."

If you are purely looking for feedback, there are cheaper comps all the time (with great judging) that would probably work better. Check out the BJCP or the AHA competition calendars.

NHC really is not a particularly good competition if you are primarily seeking "feedback." There are over 10 regionals, and thousands of entries. They have switched to using more a "checklist" judging format to streamline the process. The NHC is more about making sure the best beers make the Mini BOS in each category and from there, the top 3 advance to the finals. I think (sometimes) the more experienced judges are involved in the mini BOS and getting the top beers into the top 3 places. Personally, I think competitions can be a great way to garner feedback. However, I think NHC is basically about "winning."

If you are purely looking for feedback, there are cheaper comps all the time (with great judging) that would probably work better. Check out the BJCP or the AHA competition calendars.

Maybe I secretly am harboring ambitious thoughts I thought too ambitious to put into text. :)

Im going to take my chances and enter as many as I have ready. Im looking to send in my best 6 beers I currently have bottled.

My problem is that I live so far away from any "local" competitions, getting to one requires a commitment to a day of travel or more, plus whatever time I'm there. I can easily get into an overnight stay. But, as it is feedback I am looking for, I may just have to bite the bullet.

My problem is that I live so far away from any "local" competitions, getting to one requires a commitment to a day of travel or more, plus whatever time I'm there. I can easily get into an overnight stay. But, as it is feedback I am looking for, I may just have to bite the bullet.

Why wouldn't you just ship your entries to a competition?

Why wouldn't you just ship your entries to a competition?

I guess I have only seen that for large competitions, not anything that would be considered somewhat "local" to me. Are there ones I could ship to and still get great feedback without getting lost in the numbers so to speak?

I don't I've within 150 miles of a competition and have entered 50+ over the years. I have never attended a competition in my life - I ship my entries.

I guess I have only seen that for large competitions, not anything that would be considered somewhat "local" to me. Are there ones I could ship to and still get great feedback without getting lost in the numbers so to speak?

They mail you the scoresheets. You don't get any more or less "feedback" by attending. The judging is blind.

I find the good size regional competitions throughout the year tend to be comps where I get the best feedback as well as comps put on by clubs that do several comps a year. Milwaukee, twin cities, kansas city, st. louis, chicago..... those are the places for me personally where I tend to enter the most comps.

Also - to really "use" the feedback, I have personally found it extremely beneficial to send the same beer to 3-4 comps around the same time. ANY competition could potentially disappoint you on feedback in a particular category. However, I have found that if I send the same beer to 4 comps, get 8 scoresheets on the same beer, and then look at the consistent comments it is very useful and accurate.

One set of comments either good or bad, is not necessarily productive. But, if you have 5 sheets saying something similar.... you can be pretty darn sure it is either a problem or a strength of that beer.

This is the place to start:
http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

I'm giving it a try - just kegged and bottled our house mild, thought it would make a good entry. Came in at 4.0-4.1% ABV, so I might get dinged there - just a touch high.

They mail you the scoresheets. You don't get any more or less "feedback" by attending. The judging is blind.

I find the good size regional competitions throughout the year tend to be comps where I get the best feedback as well as comps put on by clubs that do several comps a year. Milwaukee, twin cities, kansas city, st. louis, chicago..... those are the places for me personally where I tend to enter the most comps.

Also - to really "use" the feedback, I have personally found it extremely beneficial to send the same beer to 3-4 comps around the same time. ANY competition could potentially disappoint you on feedback in a particular category. However, I have found that if I send the same beer to 4 comps, get 8 scoresheets on the same beer, and then look at the consistent comments it is very useful and accurate.

One set of comments either good or bad, is not necessarily productive. But, if you have 5 sheets saying something similar.... you can be pretty darn sure it is either a problem or a strength of that beer.

This is the place to start:
http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

Excellent advice. Much appreciated.

Check out the competition page in Zymurgy or http://bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php. I would think most, if not all, of those accept entries by mail.

My club (Garage Brewers Society) has an annual competition (Champion of the Pint) that gets about 300 entries. Judging is this week, so it's too late for this year, but that sound like the kind of thing you are looking for.

Good Luck!

I plan on entering at least 2, maybe 3 this year. Waiting on a stout to carb up in the bottle, after almost 3 weeks it's still nearly flat.

Last years was my first ever comp entry and I made it to the finals, but didn't place in them.

Back