Anyone else decide to regress their brewing setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoeHaarden

The best advice is unsolicited
Reaction score
So, I've been running a RIMS setup for about 3 years and I recently decided to build a new controller with a touch screen and other bells and whistles. Well, I still wanted to brew while my controller has been down so I have returned back to doing infusion mashes with my trusty cooler. I've gotta tell ya...I have really enjoyed brewing like this again, and it just seems (to me) to bring the "art" back into the process.

I've gotten the process pretty dialed in again, and my last couple brew sessions I hit all of my temps perfectly. I consistently get about 1F drop in temp during hour long mashes regardless of ambient (even in the 30's). I honestly don't really care than it drops, it's consistent and that's all I care about really. My efficiency is literally the same as it was with my RIMS.

Well, with my success in doing infusion mashes lately I've had no motivation to get my controller together. Just curious if anyone has ever decided to ditch their automated setup for something a little more simple?

I've never had an automated system but I've recently started brewing on a much simpler system than the 3 vessel rig I've been using for the last 4-5 years.

For the last couple of years I've been dividing my time between two residences which are 250 miles apart (long story; I won't bore you with the details). At my principal residence, a farm in the middle of nowhere, I have plenty of room in the unfinished part of the basement. I've been brewing there since 2011. The second residence is a small house in a city with no basement and an unheated single car garage.

I missed being able to brew in the city. When the weather started warming up, a month, or so, ago, I decided I'd try to put together something in the garage of the city house.

With the help of a sale at a sporting goods store, to which I also had a gift card, I scored a turkey fryer for a net 20 bucks out of pocket. Fifty K BTU burner, 30L aluminum kettle and basket. For another 80 bucks, from various sources, I bought two food safe buckets, a Gamma lid, a rubber bung and airlock, a plastic spigot and lid for the bottling bucket, a hydrometer, sample jar, thermometer, a weldless fitting and a ball valve for the kettle and a bunch of paint strainer bags. I borrowed a wing capper from my SIL.

I've only brewed a couple of 2.5 gal batches with the BIAB setup, but I've found it to be an easy and inexpensive way to brew when I'm not at the farm. I feel like I have the best of both worlds.

Elec biab for me, automated step mashing and boil control. I need to stay on the ball and stir at each ramp-up to prevent scorching, but I can't imagine a simpler setup than this. Especially considering that for several years I avoided the hobby because I thought that my brother's 3-vessel propane-fired rig was the one and only way to make beer, and I had nowhere to store or use such a setup. My system tucks away in the laundry room between brew days and rolls into the kitchen with sink hookups when it's time to git down to bidness.

Nothing at all boring about leading a double life with families in two places...please go on!

I wish the reason was something more fun or interesting. The second house was a place for my wife to stay during almost 18 months of cancer treatment.

She's doing well, now, and we were going to look for a place in the city in a few more years when I retire, so it's worked out well.

I kind of went in both directions... I used to brew on a 3v propane fired keggle system. I revered back to single vessel BIAB but I also upgraded to electric and added a controller. Once the build was done, the system is actually very simple to run. I love that I can now brew in the basement in any weather and setup and cleanup are so simple.

......several years I avoided the hobby because I thought that my brother's 3-vessel propane-fired rig was the one and only way to make beer, and I had nowhere to store or use such a setup.

3 vessel electric in the garage for me.
"Sorry honey... you can't park your car in the garage anymore."

Seriously... I started with two coolers on a gravity fed rack, until I couldn't safely lift them anymore.
No going back for me.

I occasionally brew a small batch BIAB on the stove. Because I am not really set up for BIAB, I dislike the process. Handling the hot, wet, sticky, messy bag of spent grain is a PITA.

I have plenty of room for my 3 tier gravity fed system so I don't have to worry about storing it.

My wish is for the 10 gallon Buy Once Cry Once electric brewery from Spike.

So no I am not one who wishes to regress.

I regressed from 3V sparge to 2V full volume mash.

Also about to regress from corny keg fermenting in a chest freezer to a giant conical with glycol.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds.

It's nice to have options I suppose, and it seems like BIAB would be a convenient secondary system to be able to brew at a second location with a small footprint. I'm glad your wife is doing well!

Elec biab for me, automated step mashing and boil control. I need to stay on the ball and stir at each ramp-up to prevent scorching, but I can't imagine a simpler setup than this.

Other than the few decoctions I've done recently, I could never tell a difference with step mashing. Sitting there stirring for 20 minutes while it ramps up seems like a PITA. Sounds less automated than my cooler...;)

I occasionally brew a small batch BIAB on the stove. Because I am not really set up for BIAB, I dislike the process. Handling the hot, wet, sticky, messy bag of spent grain is a PITA.

I have plenty of room for my 3 tier gravity fed system so I don't have to worry about storing it.

My wish is for the 10 gallon Buy Once Cry Once electric brewery from Spike.

So no I am not one who wishes to regress.

I too have done a few small batch BIAB, and I would have to agree with you on the process. I couldn't imagine dealing with a full batch size bag of wet grain. Those Spike setup are nice and shiny, but I can't justify 5G's for maybe the same outcome. I'm liking my simpleton setup I've been running lately. No pumps, no hoses, no elements, no problem...Beer tastes just as good as before

Also about to regress from corny keg fermenting in a chest freezer to a giant conical with glycol.

Sounds like your slumming it with your glycol controlled conical. Haha. Jealous. One thing I won't give up is my brewPi fermentation chamber.

I too have done a few small batch BIAB, and I would have to agree with you on the process. I couldn't imagine dealing with a full batch size bag of wet grain. Those Spike setup are nice and shiny, but I can't justify 5G's for maybe the same outcome. I'm liking my simpleton setup I've been running lately. No pumps, no hoses, no elements, no problem...Beer tastes just as good as before

I too can't justify the 5g's. My three vessel gravity rig has produced 97 decent to excellent beers out of 99 I have brewed.

But I now live in Florida and would really like to move to indoor brewing. I want full 5 gallon capacity without the trouble of high gravity on the electric BIAB rigs.

I like the Spike because all the parts are included, you don't have to research all the bits and pieces that you need then source them all. I also prefer to buy a ready to go controller.

Until then, if ever my present rig will have to suffice.

I never had a that advanced of a setup but I've gone back to 3 gallon biab and 1 gallon batches on the stove. Just so much easier and enjoyable to me. I really love doing the small batches.

But I now live in Florida and would really like to move to indoor brewing. I want full 5 gallon capacity without the trouble of high gravity on the electric BIAB rigs.

I like the Spike because all the parts are included, you don't have to research all the bits and pieces that you need then source them all. I also prefer to buy a ready to go controller.

Being a plug-n-play system is very enticing, and convenient. My RIMS controller is just a 20A running a 2000w element, but I wouldn't even try to wire up a 50A/240v box with my lack of electrical knowledge. Brewing indoors has never appealed to me, maybe I should try it. I like being outside, and I brew at the edge of my garage so I'm still covered from the elements.

I have read from some people on here who purchased the Spike system have had their efficiency drop from their simple setups. I know, each system needs dialing in, but that shiny system is still not without it's headaches...I'm saying all this but if I was going to drop that kind of money on a system, I'd probably buy the Spike's as well. Hahah

So, I've been running a RIMS setup for about 3 years and I recently decided to build a new controller with a touch screen and other bells and whistles. Well, I still wanted to brew while my controller has been down so I have returned back to doing infusion mashes with my trusty cooler. I've gotta tell ya...I have really enjoyed brewing like this again, and it just seems (to me) to bring the "art" back into the process.

I've gotten the process pretty dialed in again, and my last couple brew sessions I hit all of my temps perfectly. I consistently get about 1F drop in temp during hour long mashes regardless of ambient (even in the 30's). I honestly don't really care than it drops, it's consistent and that's all I care about really. My efficiency is literally the same as it was with my RIMS.

Well, with my success in doing infusion mashes lately I've had no motivation to get my controller together. Just curious if anyone has ever decided to ditch their automated setup for something a little more simple?
IMG_20180311_163342.jpg IMG_20180311_163342.jpg 2v ebiab 15 gallon kettle,10 gallon batches, 50l kegmenter, 3.5-4 HR Brew day "Stay strong and Brew on ".. oh yeah I like it

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
    IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
Back