Anyone doing small batches in Ss Brewtech Brew Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew some 2.5 & 3 gallon Belgian beers for bottling and wonder if anyone is fermenting smaller in 7 gallon Ss Brewtech Brew Buckets?

These things have a pretty solid seal on them but I'm a little worried about the headspace on a 2-3 week primary (which will go straight to bottle). Thanks.

As long as long as you aren't cold crashing in them with that headspace I think the co2 blanket would remain for that timeframe.

I would likely not take a gravity reading until I was ready to bottle either to avoid pulling in oxygen from the airlock.

The biggest downside of small batches in those to me is the .5 gallon lost in the cone.

I'm looking to brew some 2.5 & 3 gallon Belgian beers for bottling and wonder if anyone is fermenting smaller in 7 gallon Ss Brewtech Brew Buckets?

These things have a pretty solid seal on them but I'm a little worried about the headspace on a 2-3 week primary (which will go straight to bottle). Thanks.

How is the SS Brewtech different compared to my 6 1/2 gallon bucket with the leaky lid? I do lots of 2 1/2 to 3 gallon batches with no problem. You would think I'd notice if I had major oxidation with the stout left in the bottles for 2 years.:mug:

Like said before, co2 should keep o2 away.

I'm interested in purchasing one of these fermenters as the Chapmans seem to be out of stock and I have sent email w no reply.

How much trub/beer do you lose in the cone?

I'm interested in purchasing one of these fermenters as the Chapmans seem to be out of stock and I have sent email w no reply.

I don't lose any beer in the cone because I dump it all into the fermenter and let the yeast decide what to work on. When fermentation is done I give the beer some time to settle as much out as I have patience for and bottle it. The only thing you do by leaving a cone behind is have a bit less trub in the fermenter and less beer to drink.

How is the SS Brewtech different compared to my 6 1/2 gallon bucket with the leaky lid? I do lots of 2 1/2 to 3 gallon batches with no problem. You would think I'd notice if I had major oxidation with the stout left in the bottles for 2 years.:mug:

Ss brewbuckets have silicone seal as well as ratchets to hold the lid in place. Not sure if it better than your plastic lid but I've had issues with long term plastic storage in primary.

That's awesome that your 2 year stout didn't have any issues.

Generally when I transfer I'm not losing hardly any beer in the cone. You can tilt the angle of the fermentor and also move the rotating racking arm as far down into the cone as far as you want.

These fermenters rock.

As long as long as you aren't cold crashing in them with that headspace I think the co2 blanket would remain for that timeframe.

I would likely not take a gravity reading until I was ready to bottle either to avoid pulling in oxygen from the airlock.

The biggest downside of small batches in those to me is the .5 gallon lost in the cone.

Good ideas here, thanks.

I apologize for the hijacking, but there’s a lot of experience with the brewtech bucket here.
I’ve been shopping and have come across the brew master’s edition that includes thermowell and thermometer for about $30 extra.
My question is- what the hell is a thermowell? I’ve looked at their website and couldn’t find anything. Is it worth the extra 3,000 Pennies?

I apologize for the hijacking, but there’s a lot of experience with the brewtech bucket here.
I’ve been shopping and have come across the brew master’s edition that includes thermowell and thermometer for about $30 extra.
My question is- what the hell is a thermowell? I’ve looked at their website and couldn’t find anything. Is it worth the extra 3,000 Pennies?

The thermowell is a closed end tube that opens to the outside and extends into the center of the fermenter. This lets you insert a thermometer probe from a regular thermometer, or a probe from a temperature controller, so you can pull the temperature from the beer better than affixing something to the outside of the fermenter. We use a thermowell that I added to the SS mini bucket to drive the temperature controller on our fermenting fridge.

So if you’re using a temperature controller on a fridge or freezer, it allows for easy and accurate temp control. I would recommend it!

The thermowell is a closed end tube that opens to the outside and extends into the center of the fermenter. This lets you insert a thermometer probe from a regular thermometer, or a probe from a temperature controller, so you can pull the temperature from the beer better than affixing something to the outside of the fermenter. We use a thermowell that I added to the SS mini bucket to drive the temperature controller on our fermenting fridge.

So if you’re using a temperature controller on a fridge or freezer, it allows for easy and accurate temp control. I would recommend it!

I read a report from a guy who used a thermowell and compared it to a thermometer taped to the outside of his plastic bucket and insulated and he said there was about 1/2 degree difference. You decide if that half degree difference is worth $30.

Thermowell allows you to use a heater with a thermostat.

Latest posts

Back