Anyone Canning Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its here! I took a can out of the box, filled it with water, and did a perfect can in about the same time it took to type this.

Finally got around to my first real canning session. I canned up variety packs for friends and an NEIPA "for science" to get an idea how decent my process is--I'll open 1 a week for the next 6 weeks. This was also my first time using the Blichmann beer gun, previously I used a Last Straw which works great, but dispenses upon pushing down on the tip which was a little tricky in a can with a domed bottom. I messed one can of my Tangerine Wheat up. Had to deal with that immediately.

Attachments

• 20210515_165703853_iOS.jpg
    20210515_165703853_iOS.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210515_175755887_iOS.jpg
    20210515_175755887_iOS.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210515_181819202_iOS.jpg
    20210515_181819202_iOS.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 24
Finally got around to my first real canning session. I canned up variety packs for friends and an NEIPA "for science" to get an idea how decent my process is--I'll open 1 a week for the next 6 weeks. This was also my first time using the Blichmann beer gun, previously I used a Last Straw which works great, but dispenses upon pushing down on the tip which was a little tricky in a can with a domed bottom. I messed one can of my Tangerine Wheat up. Had to deal with that immediately.
How’d your process go? IPA’s are my big reason for canning and I’d like to nail down a process that minimizes this and allows the cans to last.

Seems like its working well. That NEIPA was good all 6 weeks though hard to tell how much it changed from week one to week 6. My second run I did about 48 cans. I had a few failures where I think the rim of the can was dinged. Think that's either failure to inspect, or I'm dinging them somewhere in the process. They usually pass a squeeze test so I just gave them to a friend and suggested consuming them within a week.

I'm seriously considering asking Santa for a Duofiller and I just ordered the new splash shield. Been using a towel prevent spray which worked too but hopefully the shield will be less messy.

I just ordered the new Oktober BenchMK drill powered one.. super anxious to try this baby out! Are you guys using a counter flow filler for cans? I have a spare CO2 line I can purge cans with and wasn't sure how needed those would be.

I just ordered the new Oktober BenchMK drill powered one.. super anxious to try this baby out! Are you guys using a counter flow filler for cans? I have a spare CO2 line I can purge cans with and wasn't sure how needed those would be.
I use my Blichmann beer gun. My process is exactly the same way I do bottles. I've had zero indacations of any oxidation. I've got a year old barely wine that is spectacular. The cans have seem to have held the carbonation better then the year old bottles.

I use my Blichmann beer gun. My process is exactly the same way I do bottles. I've had zero indacations of any oxidation. I've got a year old barely wine that is spectacular. The cans have seem to have held the carbonation better then the year old bottles.
I don't have a beer gun personally, but a local buddy does that I'm sure I can borrow.

I don't have a beer gun personally, but a local buddy does that I'm sure I can borrow.

I found mine here in classified forum. Cost me around $40 bucks it has been worth every penny. Bottling/canning is no longer a large pain in the a$$. Just a small pain in the a$$ but worth it.

I’ve been using the Oktober SL1 for a couple of months now using either the Blichmann Beer Gun for filling off the keg or can-conditioning. No detectable oxygen issues so far, even for a NEIPA canning. A good video to watch is (Bryan Rabe) in which he shows his entire canning process. In general, I find the process about the same as bottling.

Can conditioning is fun since you can squeeze the can to detect how the carbonation is coming along. I apply the usual carbonation charts to add sugar and leave about ½ inch (~ 12 mm) headspace. I’ve been canning Saison to 3.0 volumes without any issues.

Check with your local brewery for empty cans/lids, I’ve been able to source at their cost which brings the $ per can way down.

Back