Anyone brewing Brut IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, pretty sure there's very little perceptable difference between 1.001 and 0.998, considering it's only 3 points. I'm certain I can't tell the difference between 1.010 and 1.013, and I'm certain most folks can't either.

I agree. Im sure the difference will be negligable, but i want to see for my self. 1.001 was plenty dry, but i kept seeing others get below 1.000, so i thought i would do everything i know to get it as low as i could.

I agree. Im sure the difference will be negligable, but i want to see for my self. 1.001 was plenty dry, but i kept seeing others get below 1.000, so i thought i would do everything i know to get it as low as i could.

FWIW

We tasted mine 0.998 side by side with another guys in my club and his was 1.002.

His was more bitter than mine and because of that it was perceived as being more dry despite the actual gravity. So it's more to do with balance and perception rather than just the gravity number

So my brut just came back from a competition with a 27 and it was scored low because there just wasn't enough hop aroma and flavor for the judges to call it an IPA... So I'm doubling the hops on the next one and increasing the IBU to 30

But Munich Helles took best of show so I'm pretty content

So my brut just came back from a competition with a 27 and it was scored low because there just wasn't enough hop aroma and flavor for the judges to call it an IPA... So I'm doubling the hops on the next one and increasing the IBU to 30

Congrats on the Helles. What would the new "improved" Brut IPA recipe look like?

Anyone here have a tried and tested recipe?

Congrats on the Helles. What would the new "improved" Brut IPA recipe look like?

Anyone here have a tried and tested recipe?

I'm going with:

9lbs pils
0.5lb acid malt

0.5 oz Simcoe at 15 min

Whirlpool hops at 170 for 20 mins with
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Hallertaur blanc
1 oz Nelson Sauvin

Ferment with Kveik yeast and glucoamylase

Dry hop with

1oz Simcoe
2oz Nelson Sauvin
1oz Hallertaur Blanc
0.5 oz Loral

I'm going with:

9lbs pils
0.5lb acid malt

0.5 oz Simcoe at 15 min

2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Hallertaur blanc
1 oz Nelson Sauvin

Dry hop with

1oz Simcoe
2oz Nelson Sauvin
1oz Hallertaur Blanc
0.5 oz Loral

Thanks sounds good.
Not much different than what I was planning myself but with an American ale yeast.

Nice. My next Brut will be with a kveik yeast. Seems like the perfect work horse for the style given the ester profile

I'm going with:

9lbs pils
0.5lb acid malt

0.5 oz Simcoe at 15 min

2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Hallertaur blanc
1 oz Nelson Sauvin

Dry hop with

1oz Simcoe
2oz Nelson Sauvin
1oz Hallertaur Blanc
0.5 oz Loral

MadKing, Do you think thats enough dry hopping. I added 6 ozs. of crita to mine and I'm not sure if I put enough in. I like the Kveik yeast idea. It would be great to use here in Phoenix.

Here's my Brut IPA recipe that I plan on making this weekend. I'm looking for all comments.

I'm also looking for advice on when to add the Glucoamylase enzyme. I've read some add it during the mash and some add it during fermentation.

Is Wyeast 1056 a good yeast for this?

Brut IPA (5.5 gallon batch)
---------------------------
Est SG: 1.056
Est IBU: 20
Est SRM: 3.7
Est ABV: 5.7%
10 lb. German Pilsner malt
2 lb. Flaked rice
1 oz. Citra hops (15 min)
1 oz. Nelson Sauvin hops (0 min)
1 pkg. Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast (with starter)
10 mg. Glucoamylase enzyme (primary--pitched with yeast?)
2 oz. Nelson Sauvin hops (dry hop--4 days)

Mash at 145 F for 60 min, mash at 154 F for 20 min.

Ferment at 60 F for 4 days, raise to 62 F for 3 days, raise to 65 F for 3 days, raise to 70 F for 7 days. Cold crash.

Here's my Brut IPA recipe that I plan on making this weekend. I'm looking for all comments.

I'm also looking for advice on when to add the Glucoamylase enzyme. I've read some add it during the mash and some add it during fermentation.

2 lb. Flaked rice

Ferment at 60 F for 4 days, raise to 62 F for 3 days, raise to 65 F for 3 days, raise to 70 F for 7 days. Cold crash.
I've had good luck adding at yeast pitch.

Brew on :mug:

I was just talking with a local brewer last month about his experimenting with glucoamylase and he said that he uses it in the mash if he wants to make a drier IIPA, but to get down to a Brut he has to pitch with the yeast.

Last edited:

2 lb. Flaked rice

From my limited experience I recommend more hops at flameout and dry hop. The one I tried to make had an ounce at flameout and 3 oz dry hop and it could have used more. Next one I'll whirlpool 2 oz and dry hop 6 oz. I used a mix of Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado, and Idaho 7 and plan to do the same in the next one.

From my limited experience I recommend more hops at flameout and dry hop. The one I tried to make had an ounce at flameout and 3 oz dry hop and it could have used more. Next one I'll whirlpool 2 oz and dry hop 6 oz. I used a mix of Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado, and Idaho 7 and plan to do the same in the next one.

So, would you recommend?
1 oz. Citra (15 min)
2 oz. Nelson Sauvin (0 min)
6 oz. Nelson Sauvin (4 days--dry hop)

Also, I'm thinking of switching the yeast to White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) to get better attenuation.

So, would you recommend?
1 oz. Citra (15 min)
2 oz. Nelson Sauvin (0 min)
6 oz. Nelson Sauvin (4 days--dry hop)

Also, I'm thinking of switching the yeast to White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) to get better attenuation.

I think that would be too bitter and would move your Citra down to 0 min. You should keep your IBU under 30 total

And your attenuation isn't really affected by yeast choice if you use glucoamylase in the primary.

I think that would be too bitter and would move your Citra down to 0 min. You should keep your IBU under 30 total

And your attenuation isn't really affected by yeast choice if you use glucoamylase in the primary.

You definitely don't want it too bitter, and the dryness and higher carbonation will contribute, too. I recommend plugging it all into Beersmith or Brewers Friend with the alphas from your Citra and Nelson. You'll also want to take into account how quickly you chill or if you whirlpool, since the hops can add bitterness until the wort cools below 170F.

I agree with more flameout and dry hops. For the yeast, I agree with TheMadKing, and I doubt you'd be able to tell much difference between WLP001 or WY1056. I would get whatever is freshest.

You definitely don't want it too bitter, and the dryness and higher carbonation will contribute, too. I recommend plugging it all into Beersmith or Brewers Friend with the alphas from your Citra and Nelson. You'll also want to take into account how quickly you chill or if you whirlpool, since the hops can add bitterness until the wort cools below 170F.

Beersmith can do the calculation for IBUs, but there isn't a Brut IPA style listed.

Beersmith can do the calculation for IBUs, but there isn't a Brut IPA style listed.

Very true. I just shot for my target numbers and ignored the style parameters. I also couldn't figure out a way to have the glucoamylase affect the final gravity. It's not perfect, but gets you a read on OG, IBU, SRM. You can back into ABV by using the Measured fields with the Estimated OG and plugging 1.000 or .998 for Measured FG.

Using Brewer's Friend, I need to use this schedule to get the IBU at 27 (below 30):
0.5 oz. Citra (15 min)
1 oz. Nelson Sauvin (whirlpool)
4 oz. Nelson Sauvin (4-7 days--dry hop)

Using Brewer's Friend, I need to use this schedule to get the IBU at 27 (below 30):
0.5 oz. Citra (15 min)
1 oz. Nelson Sauvin (whirlpool)
4 oz. Nelson Sauvin (4-7 days--dry hop)

My guess is that your software is including an estimate for IBUs from whirlpool hops, which probably most people tend to ignore. I used 0.25oz @15min, 2.5oz in whirlpool, and 5.5oz dry hop in a 4.5 gallon batch. It finished at 0.997 and if I were to make it again, I'd up the bittering hop charge - it was still a bit too sweet for my palate.

IMO, I'd leave the 0.5oz Citra unchanged, but add another 1-2oz in both whirlpool and dry hop.

Got that malty beer thing sorted out, eh? Great work!

My guess is that your software is including an estimate for IBUs from whirlpool hops, which probably most people tend to ignore. I used 0.25oz @15min, 2.5oz in whirlpool, and 5.5oz dry hop in a 4.5 gallon batch. It finished at 0.997 and if I were to make it again, I'd up the bittering hop charge - it was still a bit too sweet for my palate.

IMO, I'd leave the 0.5oz Citra unchanged, but add another 1-2oz in both whirlpool and dry hop.

Beersmith 3 is showing 0 IBUs for Steep/Whirlpool with 0 min. I guess I need to change the 0 min to 10 min for the time it takes to drop below 170F-180F.

Im sipping on my third try at Brut IPA. The first 2 finished at 1.001, this one at 0.999. The gravity made no difference on mouth feel(as assumed) but ive gotten this batch to pour right at 19 psi (3.2 volumes.) The extra co is the real game changer. I am pouring through 22 feet of 3/16 line.

Beersmith 3 is showing 0 IBUs for Steep/Whirlpool with 0 min. I guess I need to change the 0 min to 10 min for the time it takes to drop below 170F-180F.
I havent used Beersmith in a while, but in Brewfather, you have to put in the full length of the whirlpool to get the ibu contirbution

Does anyone know how long these enzymes remain active? Say if you were to pitch more wort on the cake, repeatedly, would they all ferment to the same dryness?

Does anyone know how long these enzymes remain active? Say if you were to pitch more wort on the cake, repeatedly, would they all ferment to the same dryness?
Just a guess, but I don't think the enzymes drop out like the yeast does so you would be working with a drastically reduced amount of enzyme.

Just a guess, but I don't think the enzymes drop out like the yeast does so you would be working with a drastically reduced amount of enzyme.

Sounds like my kind of experiment. Kviek yeast with enzyme. Would be interesting to see how many batches it would take before more enzyme would need to be reintroduced.

I’d agree with the above comment, strong dilution effect (unless yeast surface hydrophobicity “collects” the enzyme).

Looking at academic articles, thermal stability was good at fermentation temps, with the caveat that experiments were short time scales.

Im sipping on my third try at Brut IPA. The first 2 finished at 1.001, this one at 0.999. The gravity made no difference on mouth feel(as assumed) but ive gotten this batch to pour right at 19 psi (3.2 volumes.) The extra co is the real game changer. I am pouring through 22 feet of 3/16 line.

Sipping on my third Brut IPA batch too! This one was a Pliny clone 100% grain with a little corn sugar. Finished at 0.980. Amylase in 142 mash and White labs ultra ferm in fermenter. This one was a little sketchy a week after kegging but OMG really hit its stride at 3 weeks in the keg. Holy god. Pliny is supposed to be a dry ipa and this took it to a whole other level. Naturally I adjusted the grain bill to be appropriate for a 7-8 % target given FG 1.000.

Drinking a few pints of my Brut Pliny is really not that different than drinking a few of Russian River Pliny. I’d say be more careful on an empty stomach because there aren’t any carbs there so it hits you faster (like a vodka soda would.)

And don’t go from a pint of brut IPA to a malty IPA (FG 1.012ish) or it will taste like syrup.

Sipping on my third Brut IPA batch too! This one was a Pliny clone 100% grain with a little corn sugar. Finished at 0.980. Amylase in 142 mash and White labs ultra ferm in fermenter. This one was a little sketchy a week after kegging but OMG really hit its stride at 3 weeks in the keg. Holy god. Pliny is supposed to be a dry ipa and this took it to a whole other level. Naturally I adjusted the grain bill to be appropriate for a 7-8 % target given FG 1.000.

Drinking a few pints of my Brut Pliny is really not that different than drinking a few of Russian River Pliny. I’d say be more careful on an empty stomach because there aren’t any carbs there so it hits you faster (like a vodka soda would.)

And don’t go from a pint of brut IPA to a malty IPA (FG 1.012ish) or it will taste like syrup.

First I’ve noticed someone doing a high IBU brut. How did you adjust the hops? I’ve been going very low IBU and they are great but maybe too easy to drink for 7% beer. Maybe higher IBU will slow people down a bit.

Amazon has the gluco with Prime at a reasonable cost, but you need to search "gluco-amylase," as the 1oz LDCarlson product for $5.99 would not show up without the dash.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back