Anybody use Omega Hefeweizen Yeast? OLY-021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's an old thread, but I just check mine...I got 10 gallons of non-drinkable HW.

So far, I've used Omega 5 times and every batch has failed. I just dumped 5 gals of Belgian Blonde Ale about 15 minutes ago.

Sorry to hear about that. Can you say why this happened with Omega yeast? I have had great fermentations with all of their yeast I have tried.
Old thread but....

I have had no problems with the liquid omega hefeweizen yeast. I have switched back and forth many times from oly-021 to wyeast 3068 and they both are pretty good. Good estery flavors at high ferment temps as indicated with the omega. Pretty wild fermentations as well always needed a blow off hose.

Cheers

When I first started homebrewing, and knew everything, I combined WLP300 and Wyeast 3068 thinking I was creating a new and better hefe yeast. It was a dud. I use 3068 now at a 75% pitching rate at 70F. I like the banana end of the hefe spectrum.

Anyone tried Omega Bananza Ale, OYL-400?

This is how I do it.
I use BeerSmith2 and in the Starter tab, whatever it says for Recommended Starter, I take 75% of that and go with it.
Since I brew only a 3-gallon batch of my hefe at a time, the starter normally is around 0.8 liters.
I'll make a 1L starter and keep the other 0.2 to build up for the next one.

I found I have to keep accurate records of the dates I made the starters or I can screw it up.

I could be completely off base in my process so I am always open to new suggestions.

For hefe, i use 3068 and cook that badboy to 76f while fermenting, also use more wheat than pils/munich.
Wow that is cooking! When I 1st started brewing and had bad temp control I think one of mine fermented at that range. It was pretty sweet but good!

I'm going to try a hefe this coming Monday but leave it out in my garage. It pushes the upper 80's. Just want to see what I come up with.

I'm going to try a hefe this coming Monday but leave it out in my garage. It pushes the upper 80's. Just want to see what I come up with.
Pushes upper 80s, than goes to what degree at night time? Assuming no temp control, that could be some major fluctuations in temperature making unhappy yeast. Seems like it would be banana bomb, never made one or had one maybe I would like it. I had hefes at breweries with the bubblegum "off flavor" and actually enjoyed it.

Just bottled mine last night. Pre-bottling it has a very pronounced banana flavor. Fermentation was pretty strong and started up right away then cleared up nicely over a 12 day ferment. Will be adding some fruit to the next batch to try and compliment the banana - hopefully will get that started tomorrow

Back