Anybody use amylase enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccostel

Reaction score
I have made a few batches of traditional sake using directions from Taylor's site. I always have trouble buying koji and end up making it from spores. I was wondering if anybody has tried using amylase enzyme to do the conversion.

You can do that and it will technically work. But there is a huge flavor difference in the end product. Last time I tried that the sake-ish whatever was really harsh on the alcohol hot and had no depth in flavor. It was a very small batch and was not allowed to age at all so not a whole lot of experience past that.

You could do like they do in some places and chew and spit out your grain, using saliva as the amylase.
But I suspect you don't want to go the natural route:)

You could do like they do in some places and chew and spit out your grain, using saliva as the amylase.
But I suspect you don't want to go the natural route:)

Lol I was serious about doing a 1 gallon version of this that is supposed to have grains and banana but the wife told me I can never do that. It is too gross for her.

I read somewhere that when using amylase enzyme some wheat dme addition as a syrup was advisable as its often what they culture the amylase in. I'm going to give it a try.

I haven't gotten back to trying this yet, but curious how yours turns out. Been busy brewing other homebrew and Meade.

At this point I have brewed dozens of batches of sake. Every one I did with the amylase enzyme was totally undrinkable. It was far quicker, like less than one day to convert 100% of the starch, but I couldn't stomach the flavor.

Stick with the koji culture, unless you desperately need something to drink tomorrow.

If you have trouble buying koji or do not feel like making it from spores you can buy rice inoculated with koji from F H Steinbart. They sell a 40oz koji culture that you can use to make a 2 gallon batch of sake (you'll still need about 10 lbs of rice as well).

Back