Anybody else finding themselves enjoying American Lite Lagers again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a fan of the style. Never was. I can handle an Amstel Light, it has some flavor. But the normal American lagers, aside from being fairly devoid of flavor, often have a flavor I specifically dislike. I saw Miller High Life mentioned. I specifically dislike that beer and have poured it out and switched to water because there was no other beer to be had. I'm not judging anyone, everyone has different tastes. But some of our lagers are just... Hmm I wont' say bad, but I will say have a flavor I actively dislike. Some day I hope to find out what it is, because I'd like to brew a lager, but no way I'm going to chance it until I figure out what it is I dislike so much.
Corn.

Some day I hope to find out what it is, because I'd like to brew a lager, but no way I'm going to chance it until I figure out what it is I dislike so much.

My guess is it's the corn syrup or more specifically high maltose corn syrup that is used now pretty much universally as the adjunct to save money over running the old cereal cookers. Back in the day brands like Yuengling, Rolling Rock, Hamms etc were absolutely delicious beers. Then came cost saving measures and well, you can taste the result now. Mexican brewers held out for a long time but even those are beginning to change for the worse. One of the few you can still get with those lovely flavors intact is Peroni Nastro Azzurro if obtained within 2-3 months of packaging.

If only the macros in North America would offer a premium all malt lager again or even if containing some adjuncts then done the traditional way.

Back