anybody else annoyed with the whole IPA craze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the fine dining industry, I see palates change all the time. Trust me, anyone's palate can be trained to enjoy previously hated foods and flavors with enough time/experience/exposure to those items.

I've always hated olives. But over time, I've grown too lazy to pick them out of food that's prepared with olives.

You know what's happened? I'm starting to enjoy the damned things!

I went to the liquor store and I think the problem is bad ipas and bad handling.

I'm looking at you Brooklyn brewery 😒

It's easy to throw in a bunch of hops and up a pales gravity, but to make a good ipa is awhole other thing. Imho, the majority of IPAs I get commercially are sub par.

I'm half way there with the OP. I think a good IPA is my favorite go-to style of beer but I'm a seasonal beer drinker. When it's cold I want barrel aged beer and high srm beer. Stouts, porters, strongs, scotch ales, barley wines, etc etc.
In the Fall it's browns, A pumpkin beer or two, and the like
In the Summer it's IPAs, ryes, pilsners, apa's, and occasionally a big IIPA

When I get sick of IPA's is when you go to a Fall beer festival expecting there to be browns, porters and stouts and it's still nothing but IPA's. In this specific situation everyone that goes to a beer festival, at this point, has had an IPA. Why not showcase something else?

Edit: The above post made me think about this too in regards to IPA's... Shelf life! It's hard to find Fresh IPA's at a lot of stores. Some of these 6ers have been sitting on the shelf for months and aren't good anymore. Best bet is to find a local brewery and snag some of their IPA's. I hate getting burned by a bottle shop that doesn't audit their shelves for outdated beer. ASHBURN WINE SHOP I"M LOOKING AT YOU!!!!
Also sunlight. So many little bottle shops I go into have their beer cooler right in the sunlight. All that beer is bad!!

When I get sick of IPA's is when you go to a Fall beer festival expecting there to be browns, porters and stouts and it's still nothing but IPA's. In this specific situation everyone that goes to a beer festival, at this point, has had an IPA. Why not showcase something else?

Gawd, this is the worst. Went to the Oregon Brew Fest a couple years ago... to be fair, there were a huge number of breweries crammed into the space, so, everybody was limited to one tap, but, about 66% of 'em figured they needed to cash in on the IPA trend, and another 33% brought some kind of wheat/blonde to lock in the "beer geek's girlfriend" (apologies to all the female beer geeks, but you know that's what these breweries were thinking...) market. Silver lining is, Widmer of all people said "screw that, we're bringing a barrel-aged stout," and I learned they brew a darn fine dark, malty beer, but the rest of the day was a tongue-exfoliation-by-hop-cone for sure.

First things first, I enjoy an IPA from time to time but the industry is being overly consumed by it... I went to one of the local beer stores earlier and decided I would turn away from the Belgian part of the store and try to find some Belgian style beers in the american beer section to save some money... Well after walking down the two ailes it seemed like all I saw was "IPA" "double IPA" "imperial IPA" and so on and so on... It kind of annoyed me that the market has become pretty much nothing but IPA... I saw the section for green flash and 4 out of the 5 beers they had were IPA, the other being a black ale, which I'm sure had a big stack of hops... I don't understand why IPA has gotten this big, a lot of the time they come completely unbalanced with overloaded hops and little malt profile.. I personally think Belgian beers are the best styles but since they don't have 100 IBUs they get little attention... Smh so many closed minded people
Close minded?
If you prefer Belgians, drink Belgians. If the available selection of Belgians doesn't satisfy your thirst, brew a couple, then brew a couple more. IPAs taste good. Belgians taste good. I currently have a black IPA and a stout in the bottle, Belgian Blonde in primary 1, Blackberry Wheat in secondary 1 and a big Red on deck for tomorrow afternoon.
IPA is my favorite and was the first style that led me down the craft beer and homebrew road, but I enjoy so many styles now.

Gawd, this is the worst. Went to the Oregon Brew Fest a couple years ago... to be fair, there were a huge number of breweries crammed into the space, so, everybody was limited to one tap, but, about 66% of 'em figured they needed to cash in on the IPA trend, and another 33% brought some kind of wheat/blonde to lock in the "beer geek's girlfriend" (apologies to all the female beer geeks, but you know that's what these breweries were thinking...) market. Silver lining is, Widmer of all people said "screw that, we're bringing a barrel-aged stout," and I learned they brew a darn fine dark, malty beer, but the rest of the day was a tongue-exfoliation-by-hop-cone for sure.

Was this the 2013 Oregon Brewers Festival?

Close minded?
If you prefer Belgians, drink Belgians. If the available selection of Belgians doesn't satisfy your thirst, brew a couple, then brew a couple more. IPAs taste good. Belgians taste good. I currently have a black IPA and a stout in the bottle, Belgian Blonde in primary 1, Blackberry Wheat in secondary 1 and a big Red on deck for tomorrow afternoon.
IPA is my favorite and was the first style that led me down the craft beer and homebrew road, but I enjoy so many styles now.

Yes, this is why homebrewing is so awesome. You can brew whatever you want and you don't have to worry about what the commercial breweries are doing.

SN Pale ale is what turned me on to beer. I think any Pale style beer is a good starting point. My wife's intro to good beer was also through a pale ale. Now she loves super dry IPA's. Hops are a gateway to more complex styles, for sure.

I'll probably be a hop head until I die. I see the original posters point though. There's a hell of a lot of IPAs out there, and there should be more balance at bars and beer festivals. I really believe that it all depends on where you go. I was out at a bar a couple of weeks ago, and the sour selection trumped everything else.

What I am really annoyed with are session IPAs. They are bitter as hell, and don't have any malt body to back them up. Very difficult to drink for a style that should be easy. I've had many many offerings of them. They aren't good. I would much rather drink a pale ale.

Yup. I moved to Portland 2 years ago and there are a lot of fantastic beers, but some breweries literally have nothing but hoppy ales. I can't recall the names right now, but I remember seeing a brewery lineup of 5 beers: a pale, two IPAs, IIPA and a hoppy red. That's pretty common here. And to be honest - they're usually too sweet and I'd take a Stone, Ballast or the other Cali IPAs anyday.

But then you go to Cascade and it's all worth it.

I'm half way there with the OP. I think a good IPA is my favorite go-to style of beer but I'm a seasonal beer drinker. When it's cold I want barrel aged beer and high srm beer. Stouts, porters, strongs, scotch ales, barley wines, etc etc.
In the Fall it's browns, A pumpkin beer or two, and the like
In the Summer it's IPAs, ryes, pilsners, apa's, and occasionally a big IIPA

When I get sick of IPA's is when you go to a Fall beer festival expecting there to be browns, porters and stouts and it's still nothing but IPA's. In this specific situation everyone that goes to a beer festival.....!!

I'm so fancy...but you already know....

Drinking a black double IPA right now :D

Went to the the usual shop and noticed there weren't even too many IPAs. It's a small shop but the majority of brews are some sort of dark beers i.e flavoured stouts, coffee porters/stouts or barrel aged/barleywines.

So I was at my local grocery store and they have a craft beer section. There were a few bombers of Porters, 21st Amendment 6ers the other 90 something percent was ipa or iipa or really hoppy beer. I'll have a beer like that from time to time but that's it. I'll sample ones at the homebrew club and call it good.

Now I'm really annoyed! Looks like two of my favorite beers are going by the wayside due to it:

http://www.corkscapsandtaps.com/?p=2331

"...Founded in 1991, Otter Creek in those relatively early days of craft brewing was known for its Copper Creek Ale and Stove Pipe Porter. Both are now gone. Jettisoned by management. The now-rapidly growing Middlebury, Vermont, brewery in instead focused on what brewmaster Mike Gerhart says are modern craft beer drinkers...."

The OC website sill shows the Copper, so maybe the article got that part wrong, but the Stovepipe appears to be gone. Was wondering why I haven't seen it in stores for some time.

So I had an imperial ipa this last weekend, I have to say that was pretty good. At least it wasn't cascade hops.

Tell you what, Im sippin on some Cimmerian Sabertooth Berzerker, a DIPA, and Im not impressed... Gonna switch to some Zombie Dust afterwords...

I'm annoyed that IPA is really all some bars have on tap other than macro sh*t. There's more to beer than just hops. People either want to be punched in the face with hops, or flavorless crap. There isn't really much middle ground. American craft beer represents an overload of flavor. I like my beers to be nice and balanced. This is why I brew my own...

I agree with Natdavis. I like hops, ipa is nice once in a while. I also like big malty beers tooo. I like to go to a bar with a selection but I can have ipa, bmc or a psydo-craft wheat. At least Applebee's has SA Boston lager.

anybody else annoyed with the whole IPA thread?
:D

I mean, why are the shelves--er, forums--full of IPA-hate threads? Doesn't anyone have an appreciation for hating all the other styles out there? Why, just the other day I went to the bar, and I couldn't find a single person b*tching about hefeweizens. It's like, come on people, try a little variety.

So many closed-minded people. :pipe:

I mean, why are the shelves--er, forums--full of IPA-hate threads? Doesn't anyone have an appreciation for hating all the other styles out there? Why, just the other day I went to the bar, and I couldn't find a single person b*tching about hefeweizens. It's like, come on people, try a little variety.

So many closed-minded people. :pipe:

Maybe IPA is becoming the BMC of the craft beer scene, eh? Maybe that's why so many people ***** about IPA.

There's something that rings a little "hipster" to me when I read anti-ipa threads. I mean, I could care less if you like IPAs or not, but if you're taking the time to comment about it you're probably a hipster.

It's one style of beer. I drink it and enjoy it, primarily in the summer - but it's one style of beer. I started brewing British ales as an alternative to hoppy beers, and now I'm brewing German lagers.

Just to spite this thread(and because i love drinking them)I'm making a batch of IPA today. 12.5 oz split between Chinook and Columbus, gonna be delicious. This will be the 4th batch in a row that looks like an IPA, though one of then was English so it only half counts

Just to spite this thread(and because i love drinking them)I'm making a batch of IPA today. 12.5 oz split between Chinook and Columbus, gonna be delicious. This will be the 4th batch in a row that looks like an IPA, though one of then was English so it only half counts

12.5 oz in how much wort?

I don't think I'm annoyed actually with any style of beer because IMO to each his own.

I am annoyed with people... Being politically correct, slackers, healthcare, gnats, tube socks, my dog....

Oh sorry back on point.

Nope I love IPA's

There's something that rings a little "hipster" to me when I read anti-ipa threads. I mean, I could care less if you like IPAs or not, but if you're taking the time to comment about it you're probably a hipster.

+1. Def some hipster rhetoric- along with their stupid twisted mustaches and skinny baggy ass jeans.

Id agree with this

Back